“Excellent Sunday Lunch in Piedmont Wine Country”
Review of La Luna nel Pozzo

La Luna nel Pozzo
Ranked #3 of 23 Restaurants in Neive
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We wandered into this restaurant on a Sunday afternoon visiting the Piedmont Wine Country. What good luck for us! While we ended up spending more on lunch than we planned when we started looking for a lunch spot, it was worth the price! Service was warm, friendly, and we felt like family right away. The food was excellent! They happily split our shared appetizer and first courses: tuna with a unique and subtle "salsa Tsatski", stuffed pasta with butter & sage. For seconds I had quail stuffed with foie gras and a side of red onion chutney and my husband had wine-cooked veal with a side of fennel and a tomato chutney. Too full for dessert! Since we were driving after lunch, we each only wanted one glass of wine. The owner was happy to open a local bottle to pour us each a single glass. I would recommend this restaurant for lunch or dinner - it was special.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

During our traditional yearly Piemonte trip, we were 8 Norwegian friends visiting La Luna nel Pozzo on Friday 12.10.2012.
At arrival it was some confusion about our reservation made 1 month in advance and confirmed by the restaurant via e-mail. We were given a table nicely set for 12.
Later on we found out that they most likely had forgotten us becuse a party of 12 arrived and furnitures had to be moved to set a table for them.
This I can accept, but some of the food and the unfriendly service were not at all acceptable.
The female members of the party selected the Small tasting menue and the males - of course, preferred the Grand tasting menue.
Some of the food were directly tasteless. The gnocci smelled and tasted only potato water.
When I asked for some Parmesan cheese and pepper to add some flavour, I was told that this was not served with this dish in order not to ruin the taste.
The meat - lamb & veal, was quite good - if you are in favour of well-done meat. It seems to have been prepared Sous Vide, pan fried before being "boiled", loosing all the "crunch" and taste from the frying pan, having a very soft texture, but still moist.
We asked for local Barbaresco wines and got some very nice wines.
It was the most expensive meal we had during our stay and we will not return or recommend this restaurant to anyone.
Petter Dramstad

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had 2 successive visits to La Luna ...the second just to confirm how good it was. Excellent friendly service and the Lamb......out of this world...my only complaint ...and it seems to e general in the region..I would have liked to have seen a vegetable...go and visit it is the best in the area

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Superb food & service, by far the best in the area of Neive. We had a fantastic meal for lunch the first time during our holiday. The food, wine and really friendly service with the personal and family touch was so good that we decided to return for dinner a few days later. Try the magnificent quail or lamb carré! This place is reknowned by locals and they also told us that we had found the "right spot"... Later during our holiday, we decided to visit the one star Michelin-restaurant in Barbaresco, and the conclusion is that La Luna nel Pozzo is much better in all senses... Try it out, you will most probably be amazed! And the Tiramisu is legendary. A gem of a family run restaurant.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I ate here on our second night in Neive, and were very impressed with everything about the place, starting with the glass of bubbly and amuse bouche which were brought out before the menus. Both on the house, and both absolutely delicious. We took our time deciding on a few things, and settled on the rabbit antipasto, the gnocchi with meat sauce, the tortellini with pesto, and the sirloin of veal, which was served with tomato jam and semolina. We also ordered a bottle of Barbera, which the owner recommended. The wine was great, and we couldn't believe that the bottle was only 8 euros! Insane! I always feel a little guilty sharing plates at fancy places, but both the server and owner were very obliging, and the rabbit appeared on two separate plates (a nice little touch). And, it was absolutely delicious. Both pastas kind of blew us away, and the way I've described them here don't really do them any justice. The gnocchi was melt-in-your-mouth amazing, in an incredibly flavourful tomato and meat sauce. The tortellini, which was made with fresh white cheese, was even better. The pesto was maybe the creamiest, and most flavourful we've ever tried. These dishes--along with our dessert (which I will get to in a minute) were definitely highlights. The veal was also very well-prepared, although there was some confusion over how we ordered it, I think, and it came out closer to medium than to rare, which (I think) is how we had ordered it. The tomato jam and semolina were the perfect accompaniments for it. So many different flavours and textures happening! We were very happy. And then dessert! We shared the chocolate creme brulee with pear sorbet, which my boyfriend (who hates desserts, generally) claimed was the best dessert he'd ever eaten. And it came out with a little tray of dainties--all delicious, also all on the house. We absolutely loved eating here, and hope that others make the trip to Neive to try it out. We think it is well worth it.