“I love this place!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Harkerville B&B and Inns
London
“I love this place!”
Reviewed December 23, 2008

I absolutely loved this place. My room was great - number 8 in the courtyard but it was the service and hospitality of the staff that won me over.

Although the owners don't live on the property anymore, you can tell in every detail that they are still very much in control, particularly in the selection and training of the staff. Nothing is too much trouble and the staff seem very interested in helping you - and boy do they smile!

It was a summarised for me by the belboy who ran after me on the last day as I was leaving and told me to drop my bag. "That's my job - you're on holiday" he said firmly!

I like the dinners around the same table as all the other guests - I was a single traveller so that worked well for me.

Go stay at Laird's Lodge and find out what hospitality is all about.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank nickswlon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Bexley Kent
Reviewed November 11, 2008

Having been presented with my first trip to South Africa as a birthday present, and looking through our itinerary, I checked out all the accommodation on trip advisor and was worried by negative comments with regard to Lairds. We drove in and were given a warm welcome, a lovely room with small terrace and fresh flowers, wet room shower ensuite and advanced notice of the menu, tied in a bow and surrounded by rose petals on the comfortable bed ( best nights sleep I have had in a while). The Lounge and dining areas are wonderful, and you can dine alone if you want to, as we did on the first evening. The food is divine and I told chef so on both evenings, I have eaten at Maze, Galvin at the Hilton, and Jamie’s 15 and others and we appreciate good food. At breakfast we met Vern, who is the young and vibrantly enthusiastic manager, whose activity tips made our stay, as there is so much to do you could easily miss out on something like the walk with cheetahs!

We discussed the negative reviewswe had read and I feel incensed that someone so obviously enthusiastic and competent should have their reputation damaged. The hotel is boutique, personal and it feels like you are a guest of friends. The food presented has not the vast menu choices of a cruise ship or Marriott, but those wanting to be genuine discoverers of a country and its people won't want this anyway. I for one felt comfortable asking for anything, and I did, and I received it with a smile like I was the only guest.

We had a wonderful stay, without doubt Lairds is well placed for the area, and met some fine fellow travellers, all different, in comfortably classy surroundings. I will definitely return, in fact I am already planning it, and will stay for 3-4 nights next time…. If its not fully booked.

• Liked — Friendliness and attention to detail, room was clean, bed comfortable, staff discreet and helpful
  • Disliked — business internet access was in public area but hey, who wants to work on holiday
2 Thank simonjcarr
Berkshire, UK
Reviewed November 6, 2008

We stayed at Laird's as part of our honeymoon and from the moment we were greeted by Wern as we stepped out of our car we were treated like family. The Lodge had a great layout with two seperate lounges (both with roaring fires when we visited) and a communal dinig area. Our room was fatastic and finished to a high standard. Both the nights we stayed we ate ate the lodge and the set menu both nights was great (even for a fussy vegetarian!). We particularly enjoyed the communal dining, giving us a chance to meet some great people and compare notes on our trips. Private dining was availble should you wish it. All the staff were great, Wern recommended some great trips and booked them for us and Bahni was great managing dinner and ensuring everyone had the right thing. Lairds has a very cosy homely feel about it and you can't help but feel at home there once you've sunk into one of the giant sofas in the lounge (with or without the cat!).

If you're visiting Plett - Stay at Laird's!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
1 Thank Beccy W
Bath
Reviewed November 2, 2008

As a Chef and Hotelier I am generally a critical guest but in this instance I have nothing to complain about, my whole experience was positive.
From the moment we arrived we were treated like long lost friends, management and staff here are proffessional and accommodating, with nothing being too much trouble.The gardens are beautiful, big herbacious borders and well tended lawns.
The rooms are spacious, well appointed with quality toiletries, a very good hospitality tray and lovely little touches like the fudge on my pillow at night.
We only dined here the one night of our four night stay and had we known the standard of food we would have eaten there every night!!!
The Guest lounge is warm and comfortable, we almost fell asleep in front of a roaring fire with a freshly brewed pot of tea and coffee.
I have just read the comments of "Let Down at Laird's Lodge" and believe that they should be totally disregarded, as a four star lodge this place excells ( we have a 5* with Gold award and Lairds is every bit as good!!)
Kindest regards to everyone there for making our stay so enjoyable

Billie and Kevin

• Liked — Pretty much everything with Staff just topping the list
1 Thank LavenderBath
Scotland
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Superb 2-night stay in beautiful surroundings with a real welcome.

The accommodation (we were in the stable block) was large, spotlessly clean and well equipped. We had patio doors overlooking the garden and lake - just beautiful.

We enjoyed breakfast at the large table chatting with the other guests and were conscious of the effort put in by all the staff to ensure that guests were carefully sat next to others that that would engage with. We ate in the lodge one night and were put at a side table with the only other under-50 couple in the hotel, which was very thoughtful and ensured much better chat than it might have otherwise been.

Can't recommend it highly enough!

• Liked — The welcome
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Stayed here 2 nights in Jan 08 and overall can't help but give it 10/10 in all respects.

The placed is simply charming , possesses the "wow" factor and the standard of the rooms , the food , the service and especially the staff are faultless. We ate in each evening and though the menu is limited they do ask you in advance if there's something you don't particularly like and even deduct from the fixed price menu the cost of any item you wish to skip if you don't want all the courses.

The host Werner went out of his way to socialise with every single guest and was incredibly helpful in imparting his local knowledge.

This place provides stunning value for money and as a bonus the Knysna Elephant Park is very close by and well worth the visit.

• Liked — Style & service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Essex, UK
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We stayed here in May, and had a wonderful time. We thought the room was of a high standard and beautifully deccorated. I was a little sceptical about the dinning before we stayed, but felt sitting with other guests added to the experience, the food was of a high standard, and so was the service, nothing was to much trouble, and the little touches, shortbread and the hot water bottles were lovely.
We loved our holiday in South Africa and can't wait to return, this hotel will be on our list.

• Liked — It had the the feel of a family home
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harkerville
The Plettenberg Hotel
#1 of 81 in Plettenberg Bay
T'Niqua Stable Inn
T'Niqua Stable Inn
#2 of 81 in Plettenberg Bay

Been to Lairds Lodge Country Estate? Share your experiences!