This was probably my favourite stop in our three week tour of South Africa.
The Lodge was tricky to find, and we did drive back and forth along the N2 from Plettenburg expecting it to be somewhat closer (we thought it was in Plettenburg, but it is actually in Harkerville, opposite the Knysna Elephant Park). But while it is a little isolated - that is part of its charm!
The old and the new blend seamlessly in this beautiful, tranquil, country house hotel. It offers stylish accommodation, with individually designed and well appointed suites, as well as a range of communal spaces. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the garden suites, which had a lobby with a dressing table, as well as a good sized bedroom and a nice bathroom. The pool area, on the far side of the house, looked inviting, as it sat in a well-tended garden and the pool looked a decent size.
From breakfast to dinner - ambrosial food (even for veggies - huge thanks to the chef!) was paired in the evenings with well selected wines from the Cape. Dinner was both flexible and good value - at R235 for 3 Course dinner, and served in a lovely dining room. We were also lucky enough to enjoy an evening of wine tasting with Painted Wolf Wines.
The staff were friendly and efficient (I am sure Pinky will be missed!) and service levels high - including the unexpected and much appreciated car washing service.
The memory of Lairds - sitting within easy access of Plettenburg and Knysna - will live long in my memory - and it set a standard that few other hotels (especially in the food-Mecca of Frnaschhoek) were able to meet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The gracious Cape Dutch homestead offers distant mountain views, wide open spaces, a secluded pool and gentle walks on the 24-acre estate. The individually decorated rooms convey a feeling of tranquil elegance and include neutral colors, percale linen and specialized toiletries. Perfectly positioned to explore the Garden Route, from the Wilderness to the Tsitsikamma forests. Superb breakfasts and convivial gourmet dinners, specializing in seafood and game dishes, are served in the Colonial dining room or cozy wine room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Lairds Lodge Country Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lairds Lodge Country Estate Hotel Harkerville
- Lairds Lodge Country Estate South Africa/Harkerville