“Great getaway!”

Harkerville Forest Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harkerville
Harkerville Forest Lodge
Paarl
“Great getaway!”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My husband and I wanted a break from the city and spend 4 wonderful days at Harkerville. The peace and quiet was amazing. It is situated off the beaten track between the woods and there are scenic walking paths ( also cycling and picnicing) in the reserve 1 km away. The staff was most helpfull and the breakfast is highly recommended. Will definetely return as often as we can.

Room Tip: There is a chalet in a quiet corner facing the woods which makes you feel totally private.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kirkwood, South Africa
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We visited Harkerville Forest Lodge with a group of Primary School learners on a Rugby and Netball tour.

Congratulations to the management and staff on perfect service and comfort. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and you really did your best to make us feel at home.

You are on top of our list for future travelling!!!

Well done!!

Regards
Kirkwood High School

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Port Elizabeth
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I stayed at Harkerville for 10 days and what a wonderful experience! Besides the beautiful nature scenery and the pleasure of being close to Plettenberg Bay and to Knysna, the overall experience was just great!
I had to go to Knysna every morning and only came back late in the evenings, my room was always spotlessly cleaned, I only got the most friendly service and the staff and owners went out of their way to accommodate me. I even had the pleasure to have dinner with them one evening. What wonderful, friendly, warm people.
If you have stayed at Harkerville and wasn't satisfied, then surely it will be quite impossible to meet your needs. (Maybe rather look at yourself then!) I will recommend Harkerville to anyone, whether it is business related or for pleasure! Don't miss out on this wonderful place and people!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank DunePortElizabeth
Inman, South Carolina
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We arrived as strangers and left as family... Thank you HARKERVILLE FOREST LODGE staff!!

The lodge is in a perfect location from Plettenberg Bay and Knysna whether you want to go shopping or sightseeing in Knysna or to the beach in Plettenberg Bay you are right in the middle of the two towns and surrounded by the Knysna forest and all it offers. If you like a quiet, peaceful getaway this is the place to go. This was a true country experience at an affordable price. Everything we needed was right there. This Lodge is a goldmine you will not be disappointed in your stay!
Everyone was always willing to help and made out stay a memorable one. We will definitely be back, it’s like visiting family!!

Room Tip: Guest rooms or Log Cabin is our favourite
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stayed at the Harkerville Forest Lodge from 29 December 2010 - 7 Jan 2011, we were three families with load of teen agers, the kids had a ball. the lodge is ideally located in the middle of the Knysna forest. The staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating. We camped and had some of the dorm rooms for the kids. I found it to be safe and clean and really affordable. and would recommend it as a fantastic base for mountain bikers.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Nickyw156
Mpumalanga
Reviewed December 22, 2009

We thank the management and staff for their excellent personal service, warmth and hospitality. We had a wonderful relaxing time at your establishment.
The lodge is situated in an area rich with various adventure activities such as the most challengeing mountainbiking routes, tree-top trails and visits to the elephant sanctuary, the wolf sanctuary, the eagle experience, and many more. Excellent Restaurants and entertainment can be found close by in Knysna as well as Plettenbergbay.
The Log Cabin was cosy, private, comfortable and more than we bargained for, affordable luxuary. It is rustic, no-frills yet well planned for two. The area is peaceful, far from citil-ights, yet close enough should one need anything also close to the heart of nature.
A place were Moms can have a well deserved rest.
The Sunday breakfast served personally by management to our cabin was a pleasant and surprising personal touch.
Thank You for a memorable stay, we will be back next year.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I stayed at the backpackers lodge and not long before I arrived they doubled the price, a member of staff stole from me, the owner decided to have huge and very noisey earth moving vehicles oprerating not far from my cabin early in the morning ( he said he got them free) and told me its ok I can sleep later in the day and was also assaulted by a drunken school teacher. I was told later that " thats how they normally are" by the owner. After my trip ....go there at ur own risk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank siekie
Harkerville, Owner at Harkerville Forest Lodge, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
The staff member in this review works for me, and met the writer in Heidelberg, Western Cape, South Africa many years ago. Apparently the writer gave my staff member some electronic equipment to sell for him. Maybe my staff member did not pay him for the equipment. The writer now alleged that my staff member stole from him, as he wrote on two review sites. My staff member DID NOT steal from him, he may still owe him some money, I am not sure about this. To owe him money is not a criminal offence, but a case that should he handled by a lawyer to recover the outstanding money. This has put me in a position where my staff steal from guests, which NEVER happened since1982 when we opened this establishment. According to my staff member, he DID pay the writer all outstanding money.

Furthermore we are NOT a Backpacker as alleged by him. We do have a huge building with 14 rooms that can sleep 82 guests, our Bunk House, mainly for large groups. The writer made a booking in this budget category building. When he arrived, with two girls, he wanted to upgrade to a self catering Log Cabin. This Cabin is nearly double in rate, as the room in the Bunk House. This is why he wrote that we "doubled his rate" That first night he could not sleep, because one of the girls snored to much. To keep him happy, we moved her back to the Bunk House, FREE of charge. Why not wrote this as well.

The next morning at about 09:00, I got a large machine in as described by the writer. I got it for FREE also. His cabin was about 70 meters away from this machine. As said it was 09:00, or maybe later. I think it is quite normal to maintain your establishment, even if you need large equipment, and after 09:00 !!!!!!! Our rules, which he signed on arrival, clearly states that between 22:00 and 08:00 the next morning, we have ABSOLUTE SILENCE. All guests adhered to this rule while the writer stayed with us. Remember, this was already after 09:00.

We had a school group in our tented camp. Due to him not sleeping the previous night, he went to the teachers, who were of colour, at about 20:00, and verbally abused them, to keep quiet. Immediately the teachers made a racial issue about it, and verbally attached him. That's why he wrote: " I was also assaulted by a drunken school teacher". He was NEVER assaulted by anyone, but was "verbally assaulted" by the teachers. I personally witnessed this incident. As described above, this happened before 22:00. I could NOT tell them to keep quiet, because it was NOT 22:00. I did tell him that this is the way these people are, and I will tell them to be quiet at 22:00, which I did.

After he left, he phoned me about the outstanding amount owed to him by my staff member. I did speak to him, and I got my staff member to deliver all equipment, NOT sold, to the two sisters in Heidelberg, Western Cape RSA. My staff member assured me that he paid all outstanding money to these two sisters. (I have no proof that he did pay the money) The writer emailed me a few times about this case, I answered him every time, and tried my best to resolve this matter. When I could not get proof of the payments, the writer threatened me to wrote all these allegations on the internet. I told him that this was a case for lawyers, but he insisted that my staff member did steal from him. I then stopped replying to his emails, he then turned nasty, and the rest, is on the internet.

This writer was angry with my staff member; a totally personal matter, which did not work out well for him. He could not do anything to my staff member, the next was my establishment, who did NOTHING to receive such a bad review.

Please see this review in this light, or visit us to get a personal experience.

Bennett van Rensburg, owner.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harkerville
Tsala Treetop Lodge
#1 of 3 in Harkerville
Edenbrook Country House
Edenbrook Country House
#2 of 3 in Harkerville

Been to Harkerville Forest Lodge? Share your experiences!