“Thomas Cook Wedding Package staying at the Alimuri”
Review of Mar Hotel Alimuri

Mar Hotel Alimuri
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Meta
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Thomas Cook Wedding Package staying at the Alimuri”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I'm hoping this review may be specifically helpful to those booking with Thomas Cook, especially Weddings.

We spent 11 nights at the Alimuri this August and overall the hotel was very pleasant. The staff are hardworking, friendly and provide an excellent service.

The best things about this hotel is the food. Because it is all inclusive, I was expecting your typical low end buffet style food. It is the opposite, and were I asked to rate the food, it would be 5* (except perhaps the breakfast, which didn't suit my taste). the hotel offers an Al a carte menu every night with options for up to four courses. Everything I ate was delicious. Lunch is also pleasant, with pizza/bbq/vegetable buffet as a general option and is more self service.

The rooms are lovely, well decorated and comfortable, but we did have several issues with the rooms whilst there which weren't resolved. We paid to have a room upgrade to a Junior Suite, which was costly. The jacuzzi didn't work properly, and leaked into the dining room. The 'daily changed fruit bowl' was never changed, and the 'free breakfast in bed' was charged to us upon check out (currently waiting on Thomas Cook/Alimuri's response to my complaint letter). The cleaning staff are great though and our towels were regularly changed. The beds are pretty uncomfortable (too hard for my taste) and the floors don't get cleaned, meaning dirty feet whenever walking across the room. This was my only complaint when it comes to cleanliness.

The location of the hotel is fairly poor - far out from town meaning you have to get a 20 minute shuttle bus, which is pretty unreliable. We found on several occasions it was fully booked and we had to do the 70 minute walk into town in the blistering heat instead. It has its own beach, but like most Italian beaches this is very painful underfoot - take shoes for the sea if you do book.

The entertainment at the hotel is shocking. Do not take children. The only entertainment provided EVERY night is a man on a keyboard, crooning the exact same set list every night. This hotel is too far out to have a wander into Sorrento too, so don't rely on exciting evenings!

Whilst in Sorrento we did a few different days out which I can advise. The highlight was definitely the Amalfi Coast. We hired a scooter for a day (about 40 Euros for the day), which turned out much safer than hiring a car - loads more room to maneuver - and cheaper too. We also visited Capri, catching the ferry from Sorrento for 28 Euros each return, which was pleasant and had nice views. Finally, we visited Pompeii. This was amazing, but don't pay the ridiculous amounts Thomas Cook want, just head to the train station in Sorrento - only cost us 6 Euros each return on the train and it took half the amount of time to get there. Trains run every half an hour and are really straightforward. If you do Pompeii, I suggest you invest in the tour guide - they add so much more to the day out! And take a brolly too, the heat is intense there!

As mentioned we got married whilst out there and did this through Thomas Cook.

We were married in the Cloisters of San Francesco, which is stunning. Be aware that it is open to the public though during the ceremony - resulting in swarms of tourists taking pictures whilst saying your vows. Very odd!

We ended up booking to meal afterwards privately as weren't happy with the prices quoted by Thomas Cook. We ate at a place called La Antica Trattoria, which was amazing. Beautiful food, very reasonably priced and excellent service - they gave us lots of freebies and we must have ended up having about 7 courses each! Plus the location of this restaurant is right around the corner from the Cloisters and is really pretty for photos too!

Thomas Cook were awful, I cannot advise strongly enough not to book with them for your wedding. I wish we'd done everything privately. Below are some snippets of the complain letter I have sent, outlining the main things that were wrong with the wedding package:

Upon booking of our package we were told of various extras we were entitled to as part of our room upgrade and wedding package. As stated in the Thomas Cook brochure at the time of booking, because we were getting married whilst in Sorrento, we were entitled to a free excursion to the Sorrento Musical. Several weeks after booking we received a letter forwarded from the Cooperative Travel informing us that we were no longer entitled to this excursion, as brochures are subject to change. Once we arrived in Sorrento, it became clear that the value of this excursion is in the region of £50.00. This was the first example of poor communication.

We were also sent a pack prior to departure with information regarding the specifics of the wedding – including all relevant paperwork to be completed. As requested by Thomas Cook, all paperwork was sent off by me in November 2012. In February 2013, three months after sending off my documents (including original birth certificates) I felt concerned that no contact had been made to confirm that these had been received by Thomas Cook and so asked at the Cooperative Travel branch if they could contact in regards to this. Staff at this branch waited in a queue to speak to the weddings department for three hours, before being told that these were in hand and that I would not receive them back until arriving in Sorrento six months later. This again, was something I feel should have been communicated to us.

A final piece of paperwork which could not be sent along with the rest was the Certificate of No Impediment, as told in the wedding pack, which could not be processed until twelve weeks before the wedding. As instructed in the pack, I waited until this point to apply for these. Eleven weeks before we were to get married, I received contact once again from Thomas Cook, telling me that their brochures were subject to change, and that because of new laws (laws I later discovered had been in place for at least three months at this point) I was also expected to complete a statutory declaration in the presence of a solicitor (at a cost to us both) and was then to forward these four documents to Milton Keynes to the Foreign Commonwealth Office (at a cost of £30 per document plus postage - £126.00 in total). Had this been communicated at the time of booking, we could have budgeted appropriately for this extra cost. What’s worse is that the deadline for all of the documents explained in this additional letter was in fact the very day that I received notice. From that point on Thomas Cook issued various threats to Cooperative Travel about cancellation of the wedding were the documents not received in time, despite the fact that I had received literally 0 days notice to even begin applying for these documents.

As mentioned previously, the package was booked through Thomas Cook, someone I haven’t used in the past, mostly because we wanted the wedding package. Sadly, this too was a very disappointing service. As mentioned previously, communication was poor in the UK for the weddings department. I did find that prior to our departure the wedding coordinator in Sorrento, Sorin Vlad, was very prompt and helpful in his email replies. I did, however, find that much of what he informed me was either incorrect or misadvertised. I enquired with Sorin about the cost for my wedding guests to spend time in our hotel and was informed by him that is would cost 30 Euros for all inclusive drinks or 50 Euros for food also. However, when we checked this with the manager of the hotel he told us it would cost 69 Euros each, provided that it was only including evening meal. We mentioned this too to our rep – Devan, who called Thomas Cook to be told it would cost 75 Euros or 100 for food too! Once again, various communication errors.

On the morning of our wedding I was greeted by the hairdresser organised by Thomas Cook. This woman spoke little English, did not bring any equipment (borrowing my things to do my hair on the morning) and could not style in the way I desired (a very simple do). Whilst one may argue that I should have had a trial, I decided not to after speaking to another Thomas Cook bride to be at the hotel, who told me that her trial was awful, and that when she told the hairdresser that she wasn’t happy with the style she had done, was told that she would just do it differently on the morning, and was not willing to do it again.

We also booked for a limousine to take me to the venue on the morning of the wedding. I asked several times how many guests I could take in this ‘limousine’ and was told via email, as well as in person that it could take 4 people. To my surprise I left the hotel on the morning of my wedding, to discover a standard Mercedes car, not a limousine, and was told by the driver that it could seat two people. As it meant missing my own wedding if I waited for another vehicle to be sent, we ended up squeezing into this vehicle. Definitely not the dream wedding arrival one expects when paying such large figures (80 Euros for a 15 minute journey).

I hope this is helpful!

5 Thank Chloe S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Hungarian first
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I have just returned from a two week holiday at this hotel. Everything about our experience in Italy was sublime the food in the hotel was outstanding; the staff were the best I have ever had in a hotel, particularly Francesco the Life guard and Valentino in the bar. We have been back six days and are already to book to come back to this fantastic hotel.

2 Thank JoeE3848
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We spent two weeks in this hotel at the beginning of June and had one of the best holidays ever!!! The food was fabulous, the drinks in the all inclusive were all branded spirits...Smirnoff vodka, Gordons gin, Johnny Walker whisky. The service was brilliant, all the staff were friendly and helpful, nothing was too much both from Roberto in the restaurant to Pasquale in the bar!!!! They looked after us wonderfully!!! The setting was beautiful and we saw some spectacular sunsets!!! The only drawback was the location of the hotel however, the shuttle bus took you to Sorrento and to Meta train station and from there, the world's your oyster....you can get to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples. We did all the trips on our own saving quite a bit of money because of this. The hotel itself was very ornate, typically Italian. Our room was lovely, clean and towels changed every day. We will definitely be going back and are hoping to go back next year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Edjon
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have just returned from an amazing stay at this hotel. We were a party of 17 all staying at this venue for a wedding!
Everything about our experience in Italy, was phenomenal, the food was simply exquisite, the wine was sublime and the staff were worth their weight in Gold! Francesco the Life guard, simply made our children's holiday, he tendered to all our needs around the pool, delivering copious amounts of drink and home made ice cream, which was tantalising
good! He works like a Trojan and is a very special member of staff at the Alimuri!
Valentino in the bar doted on our children and has made a huge impact on them and has a very special place in their hearts,making their stay in Italy, one they will never forget. Guisy, Maria, Roberto and Vincenzo you took care of us and our huge party of guests, with ease and a warmth beyond compare!
The room we had had, had such spectacular views and we did have a kettle in our room, I think all the rooms have slightly unique different features, some have a hot tub!
We have been back two days and are already to book to come back to this little gem of a hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Nlmiddleton
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have just returned from a two week holiday at this hotel, our first visit to Italy. The hotel is in a beautiful location and the bar and restaurant overlook picturesque sea views. The hotel was very clean and the staff worked really hard to maintain a high standard of cleanliness. All of the staff were excellent. Roberto was absolutely charming and at the same time extremely efficient along with the diligent restaurant staff. The food was outstanding and of a very high standard. Pasquale and the bar staff are welcoming and very friendly with brilliant humour and they really take the time to get to know the customers. Francesco worked very hard to keep all holiday makers fully hydrated at the beach and pool. This hotel is very well organised and really does everything possible to make your holiday extremely special. Our four children aged from 12 to 19 loved every minute of their holiday. We have high expectations and we really could not fault this hotel and the wonderful staff. They all deserve a really good tip at the end of your holiday so make sure you keep some euros back.

Room Tip: Coose a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Edel T
Warwickshire
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We recently stayed at Mar Hotel Alimuri for a week in order to go to my son's wedding in Sorrento. We have been back for just a week and have already booked again for next year. We will be going earlier in the year though as it was extremely hot in August. I could not fault the attention we received from every member of staff, Frank the lifeguard, reception, restaurant, bar, maids, everyone went out of their way to be helpful and courteous. Unfortunately, I had an accident on the beach one morning and a fellow guest came to my assistance, Frank was quickly on the scene and fetched me medical help. A couple of days later Pasquale was not happy with my injury and he and Frank called the Doctor who relieved the pressure in my finger. I am extremely grateful for their attention.
We found the bed very comfortable, drinks and food were first class. The bride and fellow female guests came to the hotel where we all had manicures and pedicures for a very reasonable cost. Taxis are very expensive (over 30 euros for a 5km journey) but if you plan ahead you can use the excellent shuttle bus for free. One small gripe, as my husband is an early riser he would have liked tea/coffee making facilities in the room but hey, he survived. Can't wait to get back there.

1 Thank Anne W
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at the alimuri for 10 days with our 13 year old daughter. We chose this hotel for its central position as we wanted to visit Pompeii, Mount Vesuvius, Sorrento and Capri. As stated before the shuttle bus drops you off in Sorrento and Meta train station and is very reliable, we went to Pompeii and Capri on our own, so easy and so much cheaper than going with the tour operator. First impression of the hotel from outside is not great, please ignore this, as once inside you are taken back in time to typical italian decor. Rooms spotless, the most comfy bed I have ever slept in!!!, decor old fashioned, shower is powerful with plenty of hot water, view from the room breathtaking. Staff in every area of this hotel, maids, reception staff, bar staff, dining staff, are all amazing and totally make this hotel a wonderful place to stay. Food and drinks can't be faulted, so much choice, even my fussy teenager had special meals prepared for her. A special mention to Maresca Giovanna on reception who sorted out our room problems quickly and efficiently with charm and was always ready for a laugh, Frank the lifeguard, Roberto and all his waiting staff and Valentino in the bar, who knew what we wanted to drink as soon as we sat down. The only improvement I could suggest is to invest in some items like another table tennis table (as this was always busy in the evenings and we were unable to use this), air hockey table, football table, pool table etc... As there were quite a few families staying there and hardly anything for the children to do. I would highly recommend this hotel and will be returning.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chipper583
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meta
Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro
Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro ...
#1 of 12 in Piano di Sorrento
Bellevue Syrene
Bellevue Syrene
#3 of 100 in Sorrento
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,038 reviews

Been to Mar Hotel Alimuri? Share your experiences!