“Perfect choice for staying in Melbourne!”
Review of Middle Park Hotel

Middle Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middle Park
Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights on our recent trip to Melbourne. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly and there to answer any of our questions. The room was a little small (we liked to call it "cozy"), but it was clean, comfortable, and quiet (which was nice since you wouldn't expect it to be with a pub downstairs). Plus, who cares about the size of the room when you are out visiting all the sites? The best parts about this hotel were as follows: 1. The location. It is literally across the street from a tram station which is only a few stops away from the South Melbourne Markets, Melbourne CBD, and the beaches in St. Kilda. You are also within walking distance of a beautiful beach and the park where the Australian Grand Prix is held. 2. The breakfast. AUD$10 for a pretty fancy and delicious breakfast, including a coffee or juice. You just can't beat that price anywhere. Overall, I was really impressed with this hotel and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Debi M
Matt L, Front Office Manager at Middle Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Hi Debi M,

Wow! Thank you for a wonderful review! Yes, we agree, a few of our rooms can be a little ‘cozy’ but your absolutely right, with all that there is to do around us we hope that guests are out and about exploring! Tram 96 brings you right to our door step; with the city in one direction and the beach in the other. We find it’s not a bad place to be situated.

We’re so glad you were impressed with our hotel, we are pretty proud of it too! Can’t wait to have you come visit again.

There are newer reviews for Middle Park Hotel

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I have been staying at this hotel for 3 years . I come to Melbourne 6 times a year for work and this is always my first choice of hotel . I could stay anywhere but I like the cost atmosphere , friendly service , yummy breakfasts , and comfortable rooms . The bar and restaurant are an added bonus plus the tram across the road and the village in the same street with all the gift shop , news agency , cafés and supermarket . I have recommend The MPH to so many people that this time there were 5 other guests I knew staying at the same time as me . It's the best kept boutique hotel secret in Melbourne

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank MegWesternAustralia
Matt L, Front Office Manager at Middle Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Hi MegWesternAustralia,

Thank you so much for the great comments and congrats on your 30th review! We too love the Middle Park Village and with only a short stroll to the beach it’s great for leisure and business. It’s wonderful to hear that so many of our guests were here on your recommendation!

Thanks again for choosing MPH; looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Overnight stay for a Swan's AFL match in Melbourne. Saw this hotel in a write up we read in a magazine in a medical waiting room. Easy to get to on the 96 tram, from Southern Cross Station, tram stop directly over the road from the hotel. Hotel room very small, but very well appointed. Great little bathroom. Comfy bed. After the match, bought drinks from the hotel bar, and took them to a lovely quiet lounge with a fire glowing. Breakfast was very tasty and ample food to eat. Went for a walk in the morning, down to the beach. Unbelievable amount of restaurants in the street alongside the hotel. Would love to return to enjoy them. Found the staff really friendly, and very helpful.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room, which it certainly was, on the 2nd floor. Windows are double glazed, whic...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenn P
Matt L, Front Office Manager at Middle Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Hi Swanniejenn!

Congratulations of receiving your 50th review! Its fantastic you enjoyed your stay here and took advantage of all the lovely surroundings Middle Park has to offer. A beachside walk before settling in for a home cooked brekfast sounds like the perfect Sunday morning activity!
We hope to see you next time the Swans play down in Melbourne.

Regards

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed here last weekend for a night & really enjoyed it. The rooms are small but exceptionally well kitted out and we enjoyed drinks in the bar before leaving for our destination as well as a light lunch earlier in the day. It's quite contemporary and although the rooms are small everything is really well catered for. If there was a negative & you'd really have to look I would say the service at breakfast was a little slow but that's being really picky.........

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Matt L, Front Office Manager at Middle Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Hi Paul2706,

Thanks for your patronage at Middle Park Hotel, it was great to see that you enjoyed yourself both in the hotel and also in our bar. We try to do everything we can to make sure the rooms are kept modern and while we cannot do much about the size of the rooms, we can always try to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in Melbourne!

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I normally stay in the city but a friend had recommended the MPH so I made a booking - great value at $145.The first room I checked in to had no table to work out so I requested another room and this was quick and easy,the new room had a table but no power point at table ? The windows can't be opened which makes the room a little stuffy.Nice bathroom and shower and a great little mini bar and extras box.I ventured downstairs for dinner and decided to have dinner at the bar - the staff were nice and the food was great - I had the duck liver parfait which was superb.I went to bed quite early and can normally sleep on any bed but the one here was like a cricket pitch with lifeless pillows so this ruined the stay for me.The breakfast is served in the dinning room and included in the room rate - this is a nice touch.I would go back if I knew there were other beds that I could actually sleep in.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank roosterman2016
Matt L, Front Office Manager at Middle Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Hi Audist,

Thanks for reviewing us and venturing out of the CBD to give us a try. Our bar meals and both cheap and delicious and well worth taking advantage of and freshly cooked breakfast in the morning is always well worth taking advantage of. I apologise for your discomfort with the mattress, next time we would like to offer you another room and hopefully the mattress will be more to your liking.

Thanks again and we hope to see you in the near future!

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I came here to stay and celebrate his birthday. The room was $145 incl breakfast, first impressions of the hotel was clean, well maintained and a lovely area( 5min walk from the beach) reception was helpful and very pleasant to talk with, are room was very small, we didn't mind but would suit just a single person perfect, the room 206 had quirky little things that made us laugh. E.g the bathroom had a window that u could see your bed and vice versa like my boyfriend could see me shower lol. We had dinner at the hotels restraunt, an it was AMAZING!!! Lovely atmosphere great quality food and at a good price, we had an appetiser to share and are main meal with wine and it was $118. Breakfast was just as scrumptious with the same great produce, all and all I I was back in melbourne I would stay here but in a bigger room( things to consider, there didn't seem to be an elevator an we had to carry r suitcases up 2 flights of stairs) great workout tho! Good wifi connection in the room and free! And free parking great bonus :)

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank shiboopi

Hi Shiboopi! Thanks for your very detailed review of our hotel and happy birthday to your partner!! Your right about the room having some quirky little features that help to enliven the place up and free Wifi is something we think should be standard everywhere in this Internet age.
Im thrilled you enjoyed both your dinner and breakfast and next time you come i will make sure someone is always on hand to assist in getting those bags up the stairs.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back in Melbourne soon.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Very comfy room in a convenient location in a gorgeous street of shops and cafes. The bed was comfy, the shower great and the staff were friendly...HOWEVER...upon returning to our room each evening we were greeted by an unidentifiable bacon-like smell (probably from the kitchen downstairs) which had seeped in through the unsealed louver windows in the bedroom and bathroom.

If this doesn't sound like your cup of tea (it wasn't ours) you should avoid Room 203...perhaps the hotel's management will consider putting in sealed glass windows to rectify this.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LordLadyButtongrass

Hi LordLadyButtongrass,

Thank you for taking the time you review our hotel, it is definitely one of the more interesting headlines we have come across! After you checked out I did a little bit of investigating as room 203 is by far our most popular room (being the biggest) and I had yet to have that problem occur. One of the windows above the bed had been left open just a touch which may have been enough to let in some of the bacon smell (a great smell to wake up to, but maybe not to sleep to!). I have ensured all staff are across having those windows firmly closed to prevent any more of the kitchen aromas wafting through.
Thanks again for your feedback and good luck in your future travels!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middle Park
#65 of 160 in Melbourne
Seasons Heritage Melbourne
Seasons Heritage Melbourne
#121 of 160 in Melbourne

Been to Middle Park Hotel? Share your experiences!