“Lovely, friendly Hotel”

Wagner Hotel & Pensionshaus
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kamp-Bornhofen
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Just returned from a 5 day holiday with Skills. Andreas came to our coach and greeted us all. We arrived late but there was a meal waiting for us. Our room was a reasonable size with a balcony which had views of just one of the many castles in the area (room 55) Hotel was spotless, food good though no choice. There is a bar on the 2nd floor as well as a patio bar which whilst we were there it was lovely to sit out in the evening as the weather was great. Just a short walk away is the Rhine with stunning views.
On our last evening Andreas came and had a chat with us to wish us Bon Voyage he is a great host.

Room Tip: Room 55 has a shared balcony with a nice view
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Carole46

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Heard such good reviews about this hotel we were very disappointed. poor selection of food dining room a long way from the bedroom, only an outside bar with a poor selection of drinks. In its favour our room was spacious clean and comfortable. Every where you needed to go you had to encounter numerous steps. Only fleetingly saw the management even though we were told he would welcome us and bid us bon voyage.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank duncandowning
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed here recently and had a wonderful time. The staff are all really friendly, welcoming and accommodating to your needs. We were staying over Easter, and at breakfast, they had put a chocolate bunny out for each guest.

The surroundings are stunning and it is a short drive to Rudesheim. The Rhine is 30 seconds walk from the hotel and there is a football opposite the hotel that leads to two castles of the feuding brothers. I think they are known as The Hostile Brothers.

This is a family run hotel so it had a very down to earth, personal feel. It is also excellent value for money. I definitely plan on returning.

N.B. I did not try out the leisure facilities (apart from the bar - which was very good)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Amy C
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We are a school group from England, who were the first visitors of the season to the Hotel Wagner at the end of March. As the group leader I had previously stayed at this hotel two years ago and after the fantastic hospitality we received from Herr Wagner (Andreas) and the rest of the staff there was no other place I would have considered staying in this enchanting area of the Mittelrhein. I am delighted to say that the service and hospitality were of the same high standard when I returned with my eager and enthusiastic school group this year, many of whom had never been abroad before.
It is very upsetting to read negative reviews about this hotel, as we found the cleanliness and size of rooms to be more than adequate, the choice and service of meals to be plentiful and the warmth and friendliness of the staff to be second to none. As for entertainment, the communal room is an excellent base for groups to meet and enjoy themselves, whilst still being safe and secure on site. Staff were more than happy to assist with students of ours who had specific dietary requirements and bar prices were incredibly reasonable.
All in all as a teacher or private traveller I would not hesitate to stay at the Hotel Wagner again. Its authentic charm, combined with the owner's helpfulness and knowledge of the area, as well as excellent English skills combine to really make this a first rate place to stay. Please do not listen to negative reviews, Hotel Wagner has it all!
Many thanks to Andreas and the team - bis demnächst!
Miss Milkamanavicius
Walsall, England

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Leigh M
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed here over Easter this year and I would recommend this hotel.
The staff were really friendly and very attentive to your needs. My sister and I had such a great time. Probably the most at home I have ever felt in a hotel.
The breakfast was lovely (the nicest rolls I have had). The room I stayed in was very clean, the shower is the world's BEST power shower and the pillows were the most comfortable I have EVER come across.
The area is also stunning and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lois C
Reviewed April 21, 2014

If you stay in the Rhineland and need to choose a cheap hotel then my opinion would be to save as much money as possible and choose anywhere but the Hotel Wagner.
Room.
We requested a bath in our room, we got one. However, it wasn't a hotel room but staff quarters (The door wasn't a room number but marked "Private") which had not been used for some time and had an unusual odour to it that was quite off putting. The room wasn't cleaned for some time either and this habit didn't seem to change when we were here as the carpets were filthy, there was dust everywhere and the bedding wasn't changed once. The bed was a double but used 2 single mattresses (one was 5 feet long and the other was 4 feet) and my wife had to sleep on the shorter one as my legs were hanging off. The bath we requested seemed to have been cleaned with swarfega as the enamel coating had been almost expertly removed and created a very unusual exfoliating experience of your body. If you do have the misfortune to come here bring your own towels as the hotels are dirty, have the absorbency level of steel and are far too small for an average human to use. Some reviews on here say that the hotels "entertainment" is quite noisy and I would have to agree. The entertainment lounge was situated below us and we could here everything that was being played, sung and said. The poor gentleman in room 15 told us he still hadn't had a nights sleep after two days. This coupled with the church bells going off every hour made for some uncomfortable nights. Was advertised that there is a sauna area but this seems to be for special guests as the door was quite firmly locked and we were told that its "not for us"
As this was a cheap holiday we were not expecting to dine in michelin quality style. This was good, as michelin tyres would be more suitable. Two day old chicken stock (cooked on Monday and reused on Wednesday) and left over vegetables being passed off as "minestrone soup" was one of the "highlights" with tinned cold custard being served as a "local" pudding and microwave cooked crunchy (why????) pancakes with pie filling centres being two other special delicacies that we were subjected to. My wife was only sick in her mouth a couple of times which I believe was lucky after listening to our room neighbours all through the night being VIOLENTLY ill. Breakfast was continental corn flakes, ham, cheese and aldi brand yoghurts with the same tinned fruit cocktail appearing at both breakfasts and dinners. We know it was the same as the strawberries that they put into it turned all the other fruit from pink to dark red over the few days we were there. The entrance of a large hairy dog half way through the dinner service and sitting and sleeping next to the self service area was a little alarming for those whose stomachs were still sensitive from last evening meal
Staff
Waiting staff were clueless as to what was being served and didn't seem to have much enthusiasm for the job anymore as most food was plonked down with a grunt. Bar staff charged what they felt like charging depending on what you looked like and whether you tipped them. We paid 16 euros for the same bottle our friends paid 14 for. The owner was rude and pervy (looked at my wifes chest and made a comment about being overheated, in the dining room. in front of everyone).
Overall
Basically, if you do want to visit the Rhineland, it is nice and the people are very friendly but there are so many more welcoming hotels but I would rather sleep in a tent than stay at this sham of a hotel.

Room Tip: rooms NOT in the Hotel Wagner are quieter, cleaner and the food is less likely to kill you
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Paul W
Reviewed April 6, 2014

For value for money at christmas try Skills Christmas on the Rhine 5 days at the Hotel Wagner in Kamp Bornhofen. Strikes the right note. Let team leader Andreas handel your festivities! They make you welcome Good food. Ann & John Trueman Edwinstowe Mansfield.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple