My wife and I did quite a bit of research before we planned our honeymoon. There a lot of choices especially when it comes to Fiji for honeymooners. Finally we settled on Royal Davui. At the end of the day, we were very satisfied with the whole stay.
The resort does have quite of bit of activities if one is explicitly looking for, but being a island and secluded, it fits perfectly for those looking for privacy, relaxation and romance. Here are some of my observations....
Food: I personally enjoyed the food, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. I know a few of the reviews don't seem favorable, I beg to differ. Being a foodie myself, I was happy with the number of choices available and the taste of the food. I pretty much enjoyed most of it, may be I chose the right meal within the course options. Anyhow my rating would be A+
Villa: We loved the design of the villa. It seemed like there was not a lot of wasted space since the real estate is hard to come by on such a small island. We did have a couple of issues, one with the tub and second the power for the whole villa was gone a couple of times. But as soon as we informed the reception, they fixed it right away. So no complaints there.
Activities: Since its a secluded island, a lot of activities apart from kayaking and snorkeling have to scheduled before hand which is understandable since boat transfers have to be scheduled like zip lining or surfing or village visits or fly fishing. They do have certified scuba diving instructors on the island for scuba enthusiasts.
One of the best activity was the "Sand Spit picnic" which is basically almost a few miles away from the island, in the middle of the ocean, during low tides, the water recedes and the sand on the reed shows up....a picture perfect spot for a picnic for sunrise or sunset. This was one of the highlights of the whole vacation.
Staff: The staff was very nice and in a couple of days of staying there, most of the staff knows you by name and they are very hospitable.
P.S: We were lucky to see one of the unique village ceremonies which happens once or twice a year due to the nature of the ceremony itself called "meke" wherein the local Fijians walk on the huge boulders which are heated in fire for about 5-6 hours. They perform to the local songs and dance to it.
Transfer from the airport: It was one of the most fun transfers as we got to fly in a 4 seater cessna plane. The plane is a little old for your liking, but you get a bird's eyeview of the Fiji's main island shoreline and also the fauna that covers the island.
Personal suggestions for improvements:
1. The plunge pools can be heated at all villa's (as the water was very cold in the evening to get into it) as I was told its heated at the premium villa's only.
2. The pathway to all the villa's can be further more lighted than what it is right now, as there are snakes that can be seen crossing, although you are given a flash light, I would prefer more lighting along the pathways.
3. The current transfer plane looks very old, would be great to see a newer model.
4. I personally did not like the fact that we were charged for the bottled water in the mini fridge. Claiming to be a 5 star resort, I would expect that for soda/alchohol but not for water especially since the reception is closed after 7.00 PM for any room-service.
5. A fitness center would be a good addition to burn off those calories put by eating the good food at the restaurant but not a whole lot that can be burnt by snorkeling or kayaking :(
6. I personally hated the wash sink or basin or whatever its called (it didn't qualify either as a sink or a basin since its just a flat slab). It is one of the most impractical wash thingy I've seen (you'll see what I'm talking about :))
Overall we were happy with the resort and would certainly go back if we can.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Davui Island Resort is an exclusive adults-only sanctuary situated in Fiji's spectacular Beqa Lagoon offering a level of Fijian luxury, elegance and privacy not found in today's larger resorts. At Royal Davui Island Resort Fiji, the shell symbolises our invitation for you to come to our island paradise. Just a few guests can be accommodated at Royal Davui, so be prepared for an exclusive and exceptional experience from the moment of your arrival. Here the world-renowned warmth and hospitality of the Fijian people awaits you. Royal Davui Island Resort is an adults only resort, offering an ideal tropical island escape, vacation, honeymoon or wedding.Bula Vinaka! - Welcome to Royal Davui Island Resort Fiji ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Royal Davui Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Davui Island Hotel Royal Davui Island