Royal Davui Island Resort, Fiji
Beqa Lagoon Resort(Beqa Island)
$256
  • Beachfront
Nanuku Auberge Resort(Pacific Harbour)
$694
$599
Agoda.com
The Pearl Resort(Pacific Harbour)(Great Value!)
$195
$105
  • Breakfast included
Uprising Beach Resort(Pacific Harbour)(Great Value!)
$113
$73
Waidroka Bay Resort(Korovisilou)
$134
$130
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Wellesley Resort Fiji(Korolevu)(Great Value!)
$139
HotelsClick
  • Pool
Crusoe's Retreat(Coral Coast)(Great Value!)
$78
  • Breakfast included
Mango Bay Resort Fiji(Sigatoka)(Great Value!)
$70
$55
$292
$131
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewsroyal davuiplunge poolour honeymoonfishlunch and dinnerother gueststhe managerspacific harbourwelcome songshark divenadi airportvillage visitsand cayhappy hourkava ceremonyheaven on earthlow tide
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Wow- what can I say... This resort really was perfection and is now possibly my favourite place in the world ! The views were just breath taking, the staff were all so friendly, they remember every single guests name and show a warmth and hospitality that truly is priceless. The rooms were amazing with large bottles of shampoo and conditioner - the famous coconut brand, huge bathrooms with jacuzzi baths and showers amazing views and very secluded. The food was also the best I've ever tasted, we had a vegetarian in our group who was so impressed with the way she was catered for. The spa is beautiful with views over the ocean - it was like a dream. You couldn't ask more from this resort and I can only dream of returning again soon. Special thanks to Chris for making our stay so fabulous.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hayley R
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed here for the second week of our honeymoon earlier this year (first week stayed in emaho sekawa). The villa's are lovely, staff very accomodating, and the food was amazing! (even for someone who is allergic to seafood!) fish feeding and the sand bay picnic were some deffinate highlights along with the zip line and the scuba diving! the spa is lovely and very relaxing. The only niggle was that we couldnt ajust the temp of our plunge pool without asking the staff - so it was fine in the day but quite cool at night if you hadnt got it turned on.
All in all an exellent stay if we return to fiji we will deffinatly be making another stay. you can mingle with other couples at meal times and happy hour or just sit by yourselves. We found it a great balance between small group and total privacy. Thanks for the great stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We did a seven-night honeymoon stay at Royal Davui (RD) in late October 2013. The summary: The rooms are very nice, the Island is fine as a destination, though the weather may well be wetter than say, the Mamanucus. The food keeps coming and was generally of a high standard, but yes, you have to pre-order all meals at breakfast. The service from the locals is friendly though some are better at the finer points of western culture than others i.e. do have Jale make your drinks - he is excellent - some of the others a bit less so. In general, do not expect Fijians to understand wine - I doubt that they drink enough of it to know. We were glad we took some of our own water and wine due to the high prices. Most off-island activities e.g. village visits to the close-by Beqa Island cost extra. We liked the geckos in our room, the mossies weren't too bad, and saw only one sea snake on the rocks. Our plunge pool was heated and was at times too warm, but this may have been better than too cold as some report, we used our pool all the time. The snorkelling around the island is very good. For us I would say that we finished the week able to admit to each other that while we could see some faults, and were a little bit disappointed in some ways for what we got for the price, that we had a good time anyway. Would we go back? At these prices, we would probably try something different. I don't know that the level of service, or quality of accommodation or food in Fiji, escalates in line with the price, at least not on a small island like this where everything is more difficult to get right.

The long and perhaps boring section: Reviewing this kind of place is difficult, because everyone sees things differently, and it comes down to expectations being met or not. Sometimes I am not sure that the vibe in the restaurant suits all guests, the odd lost-looking younger or older couple can be spotted in the evening (welcome to resort life I guess!), the choice of music might at times be a little "K-Tel's best dance music from the 1950's" at times. So in the restaurant area - which is the main shared area of the resort - I am not quite sure the resort knows exactly what it wants to be? An intimate romantic resort mixed with a little bit of party and dancing...(?)

I need to declare that anytime I spend in the region of 4 figures per night - my expectations go pretty high!
The most obvious shortcomings that I can list are the boat fleet, and the attitude of the resort management to transfers. All the boats (they have about 4) are somewhat tired and mismatched and probably bought second hand, but the boat that really matters is the one for the transfers from Pacific Harbour to the resort. We were staying at The Pearl resort at Pacific Harbour with family the week before we visited RD, when we started to notice a faded blue boat with "Royal Davui" written on the side heading out into Beqa lagoon every day. It is indicative that we did not want to point out to any of our guests - "that is the transfer boat to our 5 star luxury honeymoon resort". We thought "hmmm" and said nothing about the somewhat daggy-looking oldish power-boat. On our check-out day we had to catch our flight back to Melbourne at 5:30 PM flight from Nadi, we knew we had a 35 minute flight from Pacific Harbour to Nadi airport as part of our package, and were expecting a 1 PM departure from the Island based on the itinerary supplied by our travel agent. So I was mildy shocked to get the letter the night before, which said to be prepared to depart at 8:30 AM.... to catch a 5:30 PM flight? So much for a relaxed breakfast on our last day! And we really wanted to spend 6 hours kicking around the airport (not). We ended up with a 10:30 AM transfer shared with another couple who thought like us, which I gather was a concession made after fairly tough discussions. Point is, they will want to hold you to the "scheduled" transfers - that no doubt minimises their boat trip expenses. If you want a private boat transfer i.e. at your chosen time, be prepared to pay. The transfer is about 45 minutes each way running a boat powered by 2 x 200 HP outboards. You can work out how much that should cost them (or you). The engines are new, the fuel has to be paid for, the staff work for local wages and the boat itself is fully depreciated!

Overall, I would want to ask the management the question as to what they offer that makes them stand out for the price they charge? (Other than very nice rooms, good food, the Fiji climate, natural coral and watersports. Lots of places in Fiji can offer this.....). What I have in mind is a bit of "really personal" service. Say, after you have settled in, a visit from Management to discuss what you like to do - relax, snorkel, tours, watersports? Followed by some suggestions as to how to maximise the value of your visit, a couple of bookings for activities perhaps? A personal tour to the Marine activities shack to see how things are arranged? Maybe this never happens anywhere(?), but we had to figure these things out for ourselves, you need to read the compendium, and yes, sometimes the service from the Marine boys e.g. outer reef snorkelling is a bit indifferent. Basically, I suggest that some complacency is creeping in.

Management do dress casually and are not highly visible in a managment role i.e. serving guests, though this might not be fair, since I presume they are busy in the office during the day. Julie's American style and tastes may or may not suit you depending on where you come from... When you ring reception and ask to speak with her as I did once, I did not get her, but rather a message relayed back by the receptionist. With complaints, I would suggest "water off a duck's back" applies. I have to say, reluctantly, that I think she may be a little bit too pleased with herself. Geoff de Looze, Melbourne.

Room Tip: Not sure about the difference between price brackets. But our room - a premium plunge vale room on the sunset side of the island - at a premium price with heated pool - lacked for nothing. Privacy made clothing optional on the deck (unless people were boating/snorkelling etc, in the water outside our room. I forget the room number!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank GeoffdeLooze
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary here for 8 divine nights. The island is in a fantastic setting surrounded by stunning coral reefs. The staff here are spectacular! They are always smiling and focus completely on ensuring that guests have everything they need and the resort is maintained meticulously. We used the spa and the therapists were great, giving us the pressure we requested and taking care where we had minor injuries. There is a good selection of activities, a music and games room and a small gym for those who want something other than the beach or pool. We were able to completely unwind and celebrate our anniversary in style. I would highly recommend this resort to any couple who wants to get away from the hustle bustle and find time to reconnect and enjoy amazing Fijian hospitality. Bula vinaka!!

Room Tip: If you want a room with direct access to a beach, Villa 8 is the go, Villa 5 has a great sunset view. We stayed in Villa 13 which was comfortable and very private with a sunrise view. From what we could see, all villas are designed with privacy and comfort in mind.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at Royal Davui in Oct 2013 for 3 beautiful nights on our honeymoon, wish it could have been longer. A fantastic setting, great food and hospitality that only Fijians can provide. Service was friendly, professional and prompt. This is a great resort for a romantic getaway or honeymoon. We have been to resorts in Fiji and throughout Asia/Pacific and this was the best for a loved up couple.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple