“a good choice if you are keen on SPA and Wellness & excelent food”

Grand Hotel et Spa Uriage
Paris, France
“a good choice if you are keen on SPA and Wellness & excelent food”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Quiet SPA hotel in the Hills outside Grenobel. Has a very good reputation with the local people and has a very good Restaurant in the hotel. The welcome on arrival is very good and the staff are very professional and helpful. The Hotel is very well maintained and is spotlessly clean My room was comfortable and clean but nothing special. The Hotel has lots of Wellness facilities and has a large part to the rear.

I had dinner in the Restaurant in the evening and that was excellent. Great food and Wine with good service. Overall a Nice place, Not my first choice as a business stay hotel but definitely a choice if you are keen on SPA and Wellness combined with excellent food.

Room Tip: Tip: Be careful of the wall mounted Air Conditioning when sleeping. I left it on and It was blowing...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Campbell, California
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I've stayed in plenty of independent and chain hotels in the area but Le Grand Hotel Uriage is still my first choice when traveling to the Grenoble region. (I've probably stayed there 20 times over the last 8 years or so). The location is stunning. It's name "Les Terrasses" comes from the fact that the backside of the hotel has a wonderful terrace overlooking a beautiful park, that makes it look like the hotel has stately gardens.

The staff are very welcoming and sincere and non-French speakers will not struggle. The hotel and rooms are immaculately clean. The rooms are of a reasonable size but what I like about them is that they remind me more of staying in a friend's home rather than a formula hotel room.

I've never eaten at the Michelin star restaurant but on Sun - Tue they run the dining room as a bistro with a smaller simpler menu. The food is very good and of high quality. The breakfast they serve is outstanding. It is simple but the quality is outstanding with almost everything made in-house. I travel extensively and it is one of my favorite breakfasts anywhere.

The only thing I don't like about the hotel is that whenever I visit it is always for business and I never get to share it with my wife. It is a pretty romantic place and definitely one to share!

Room Tip: The loft rooms are quaint as they have sloped ceilings. Not for everyone but for me, very charming...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Russell D
Monza, Italy
Reviewed October 7, 2011

The hotel is amazing, at the same time charming and high class, deserving five stars but warm and welcoming...

An old wooden staircase guides you to the upper floors while near the entrance you find the restaurant and the spa/wellness center.

The restaurant used to be on the Michelin guide and was extremely expensive but best on earth. I have never tried it though recently they now offer an excellent quick meal / fixed menu service at around 30E few days a week when the "full" restaurant is closed.

The spa and wellness center is available till 11pm and complimentary for hotel guests. There is a heated pool which is partially covered inside the building and partially outside exposed in the garden. There is also a sauna or steam bath, do not remember exactly, a relax area and few cardio cyclette or similar.

Back to the front desk, take the wooden staircase and move to the upper floors. An extremely nice and relaxing vanilla aroma spreads in the air and welcomes you everywhere!

All rooms are with parquet on the floor and all well furnished and perfectly maintained. Apparently they are all painted fresh once a year and you even get free samples of the cosmetic products from the thermal center!

Though the suites on the first floor have a private balcony, my favorite rooms are those on the top floor, where you enjoy the full wooden ceiling which gently steeps down towards the windows!

Not to mention the view on the park - you remain breathless!

This hotel is simply amazing, I keep on visiting it when I am not under pressure in the morning to be early at work at the Polygone in Grenoble because the ring road around Grenoble is always a huge traffic jam in the morning. In case of early meetings at work, I usually sleep closer to the office. But if I am not under tight pressure, Le Grand Hotel is my place!

Room Tip: my favorite rooms are those at the top floor with the full wooden ceiling steeping down
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
London
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We enjoyed a fantastic evening at this hotel. My partner dropped me off to race the Etape du Tour cycle race early in the morning, then made her way with our toddler to the hotel to drop off our bags ( we assumed that we would not be able to check in early). The hotel was very accommodating in allowing my partner to check in around 9am. The staff could not have been more helpful, even finding for us a lost purse after a minor panic. We had a room that was akin to a mini sutie, with a large bathroom and terrace overlooking parkland. The bed was large and very cumfortable. We had secure parking on site. All in all, this was a wonderful stay and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed August 24, 2010

All in all this hotel was just OK. It is an old thermal spa destination that still draws a lot of locals and French people for spa treatments.

The hotel itself is elegant on the outside, but the lobby and rooms are just so-so.

The meal at the Michelin 2-star restaurant was quite outstanding. I came expecting less, and was very impressed with the inventiveness and quality of the dining experience. We must have had 14 courses in our prix fix meal.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank msg82256
Oxnard, CA
Reviewed January 21, 2010

The service was superb, the food exquisite, the wine exceptional (two bottles) Three hour, seven course meal, at $300/US per person. Expensive but the best meal I've had in my life anywhere. It was incredible and I'd recommend it highly to anyone prepared to spend a bit extra to have an outstanding culinary experience

Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
8 Thank Ovalracer
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 20, 2009

This was a stop over for us on the drive down to Provence. It was all booked on line with virtually no reviews to speak of, so it was in at the deep end.

The Hotel is located right next to the beautiful public spa baths. Both buildings have lovely exteriors, and the front door to the hotel is located in a pedestrianised area, which you are still able to drive right up to. The hotel and the spa are the main focal points of this little village, which is a comfortable 9 km past Grenoble.

Our room was extremely comfortable, clean and spacious. The extra bed for our son was a good size and sturdier than the usual camping bed efforts. The bathroom was also large, and came well equipped with one of the best range of hotel freebie spa products I have seen. The products were all derived from the spa waters, so we had small tins of facial spa spray (which was well used on the beach the following week!) and lovely exfoliating and moisturising creams. I usually don't bother much with hotel toiletries, but these were really excellent.

The hotel restaurant was fully booked on the night of our stay, and when we looked at the menu, we could see why. It was pricey, but as it was packed with locals, we thought that this was probably a good recommendation. Book the restaurant in advance if you want to dine there.

Children are not allowed into the hotel spa waters until after 7 pm (which I can understand), but we were rewarded with the place pretty much all to ourselves. The waters were lovely and especially welcome after a 6 hour journey.

The hotel is located next door to the local park which is beautifully maintained. The Hotel terrace overlooks the park, and it was a treat to eat breakfast outside with such a lovely view of both the park and the mountains. Breakfast was good, with a fair selection of local jams and honies as well as some other home made specialities.

There is a lovely carousel in the park, right next to a mini golf course. There are also some 'suky' horses which are pedal race horses - see the photo. Our son absolutely loved it and went racing around the perimeter of the park countless times. All are within 5 minutes walk of the hotel.

The town itself is very quaint, slightly old fashioned, and very relaxing as most spa towns tend to be. There are a few restaurants along the main street, and we enjoyed a plat du jour looking out on the park and the mountains behind. Nothing fancy - just very good.

As a stop over, the town and hotel are highly recommended, especially if you have children who need to so some running around! (Make sure that you arrive later in the day so that you don't need to wait around for the spa). The park is lovely, the hotel is very good and offers excellent value for money. As a base for exploring Grenoble it's perfect, but otherwise a couple of days would be the most that you could probably stay here without looking for something more.

The website pictures don't do this hotel justice - it's a gem.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank Maija63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uriage les Bains
Hotel Restaurant Les Mesanges
#2 of 2 in Uriage les Bains
Hyper-Centre
Grand Hotel Grenoble Centre

Been to Grand Hotel et Spa Uriage? Share your experiences!