“Fun, joy, peace and tranquility.”
Review of Le Pas Opton

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie
Le Pas Opton
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Just book now.our only regret is not finding this wonderful place sooner. Booked before we left this summer. The staff are always supportive and have a wonderful spirit. The activities enable you to dip in and out as you wish. Enjoy the fantastic surroundings and region.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have been to Le Pas Opton several times over the past 6 years, and have always found it wonderful. The good bits - lovely, safe pool, spacious pitches, very friendly staff, good restaurant and bar, beautiful sunsets over the the river Vie at the bottom of the site, peaceful and quiet, the family friendly atmosphere, a short drive into St Gilles Croix de Vie, which has a great beach and is a lovely place to stroll around on an evening, loads of interesting places to explore close to the site or further afield. The bad bits - apart from the long drive from Calais, I really can't think of any! I would recommend LPO without hesitation to anyone!
LPO has given us many happy holiday memories, but I think a stand-out example of the attitude of the staff there is how they helped a few years ago. Our daughter injured herself and had to be rushed to hospital on the morning we were due to depart, and the way the staff at LPO helped us, including letting us stay on site until she was dealt with, contacting the ferry company and insurance, helping with communication and translation, etc, was quite amazing. All this help was given without needing to ask, and was despite it being "change over" day, so a very busy day for their staff. Thank you again, team, if I could give you extra stars I would do!!

1  Thank AndyMuckyduck
Reviewed October 28, 2012

What a nice, peaceful, joyful place where everybody finds his place, from the youngest to the oldest. We enjoyed the camping, very large and quiet, nice pool, a lot of activities for everyone inside and outside. We met a lot of new friends thanks to these activities, especially during the Sunday BBQ meeting. The staff is very friendly for kids and carfull.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Vendee region is a fabulous place to go, it is very peaceful area. Las Pas Opton is a lovely campsite we have met lots of lovely people and it is a great atmosphere, everyone is friendly. You can do as much in the camp as you want or do your own thing. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We enjoy it so much we hope to go back again next year.

Room Tip: We had a bigger caravan this year as we took another couple with us and it gave us more room and spa...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Betty G
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Although I'm a Christian myself I was skeptical about going on a "Christian" holiday thinking it would be all "Jam and Jerusalem" or like a conference. Fortunately it was neither - like the brochure says it is "cringe free" and unpretentious and the "spiritual" programme is treated just like any other activity, you take it or leave it with no pressure.

There was a good community atmosphere - again there was no pressure, you could have a chat with the next door neighbour without feeling obliged to make a friend for life.

The recruitment process is clearly working well as all staff were friendly and helpful. I was especially impressed with one young guy - I don't know who it was - but he did the teenagers talk (I think last Wedesday) about identity but it was absolutely outstanding - simple, clear truth.....and I'm in my late 30s! I overheard it from our caravan as I got out of the shower....it was so good I went and sat down the bottom of the field to listen to it instead of going to the Bible study - after getting dressed of course!

There is room for improvement - the "football pitch" is basically a field - very uneven and with a lot of stones. More could be made of this both in terms of usage and safety. The swimming pool is OK but one of the smaller pools should be reserved for younger children at peak times - having older kids jumping around isn't great when you've got a 3 year old. The playground could have more - it was fine last week (site wasn't full) but during busy periods it doesn't really cater for everyone. The restaurant is good (we had great moules frites) but please change the chicken nuggets - I wouldn't feed them to my dog, let alone my daughter!!

A couple of tips

- Don't get this confused with Spring Harvest the conference! If you're like me and remember that on the seventh day God rested and didn't go to a conference then this holiday is for you.

- Like a previous reviewer I'm not sure I would recommend it for older teenagers unless they are happy with mixing with church folk doing church youth-type things. Without this I'm not sure there's enough to cater for them.

For a young family wanting a relaxing holiday it's ideal - good, friendly safe atmosphere and decent facilities. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: The Firgroves are fine - don't see the point in paying more.
6  Thank Klunk_Gsy
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our first family holiday, first time in a mobile home and first time at LPO - it was a big decision but we were desperate for a break and booked LPO after encouragement from friends. I'm so glad we did!
Our "Firgrove" mobile home was unexpectedly ready (we arrived early) so we were happily unpacked and settled in with time to swim before supper. The home was fairly central, an easy walk to the pool, the swings/slide playground, the bar/entertainments room etc. and had lawn space for our car, a play tent for our 3-yr-old, table & chairs and sunbeds too! The beds are clearly quite new and very clean, with firm mattresses and plenty of warm blankets for chillier late-August/ September nights. I hired towels to save space in the car. The kitchen is well kitted out and shower pressure good. The whole site & home were very clean and in good condition, despite being end of the season.
The onsite take-away does pizzas (excellent), pasta, jacket spuds etc so I had a week off cooking, enjoying a light bread-and-bits meal at lunch, shopping twice at the nearby supermarket. We had one meal at the restaurant which was fine but nothing special. Our friends hired a BBQ onsite so we enjoyed two bigger meals with them as well.
My husband hired a bike onsite and enjoyed the challenging (unofficial) 7.30am bike rides, together with plenty of sports and even Wii-bowling! Our daughter enjoyed everything about LPO, especially "Sticky Fingers" kids club which I was delighted to discover accepted 3-4's without parents, meaning I had 2 hours relaxation every morning beside the pool, with twice-weekly aqua-aerobics to burn off all the croissants.
Evening activities for us were limited with a 3yr old but included a lovely buggy walk along the river, a very good quiz night and a hilarious ceilidh dance on Saturday. We only made it to one evening worship session as we like to eat together early, but the main marquee is carpeted, well equipped with AV kit and it was lovely to see the kids involved. My husband enjoyed two of the adult teaching sessions and was also impressed with the session for teenagers, which he overheard whilst on a quiet walk. LPO is very relaxed and nothing like some of the big intense Christian events which rarely feel like a holiday - the spiritual input is very good but very optional and the team make it clear that rest & relaxation are just as important!
The swimming pool is cold, especially when the sun disappears and the wind picks up - I wished I'd bought a wetsuit instead of a swimsuit for our shivering girl. It's very clean though and the slide is great fun for bigger kids.
We were at LPO to rest & relax and have fun as a family after a very stressful 2 years, so didn't rush around visiting local tourist attractions, but there does seem loads to do in the local area so I've made a list for next year - we've booked for 2 weeks next time!
PS...It's a LOT cheaper to book before the end of November ;-)

3  Thank NLPGsy
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We have just arrived back for two weeks in La Pas. This was our fifth holiday there after a gap. Of a few years. Whilst the main features such as the accommodation have remained the same with its same high standard there have been a number of changes. The biggest change we noticed was that there was a lot more stuff to do if you wanted to. We enjoyed the quiz night, silent disco, archery and many other activities most of which were free.

If you want to go offsite the the beaches in the local area are excellent with long sandy beaches and good waves for bodyboarding or surfing.

Overall we had a relaxing time which we really enjoyed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie
5 mi away
Camping Le Parc De La Greve
Camping Le Parc De La Greve
#1 of 1 in L'Aiguillon-sur-Vie
Camping La Foret
Camping La Foret
#1 of 43 in Saint-Jean-de-Monts
Ibis Styles Saint Gilles Croix de Vie
Ibis Styles Saint Gilles Croix d...
#1 of 5 in Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie
Madame Vacances Residence Les Fontenelles
Madame Vacances Residence Les Fo...
#1 of 1 in L'Aiguillon-sur-Vie
Le Ker Louis
Le Ker Louis
#4 of 6 in Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie
3 mi away
No photo provided
Domitys La Rose des Vents
#10 of 12 in Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie

Been to Le Pas Opton? Share your experiences!