“Amazing”
Review of Le Pas Opton

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie
Le Pas Opton
Amplepuis France
“Amazing”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

What a nice, peaceful, joyful place where everybody finds his place, from the youngest to the oldest. We enjoyed the camping, very large and quiet, nice pool, a lot of activities for everyone inside and outside. We met a lot of new friends thanks to these activities, especially during the Sunday BBQ meeting. The staff is very friendly for kids and carfull.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Vendee region is a fabulous place to go, it is very peaceful area. Las Pas Opton is a lovely campsite we have met lots of lovely people and it is a great atmosphere, everyone is friendly. You can do as much in the camp as you want or do your own thing. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We enjoy it so much we hope to go back again next year.

Room Tip: We had a bigger caravan this year as we took another couple with us and it gave us more room and spa...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Betty G
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Although I'm a Christian myself I was skeptical about going on a "Christian" holiday thinking it would be all "Jam and Jerusalem" or like a conference. Fortunately it was neither - like the brochure says it is "cringe free" and unpretentious and the "spiritual" programme is treated just like any other activity, you take it or leave it with no pressure.

There was a good community atmosphere - again there was no pressure, you could have a chat with the next door neighbour without feeling obliged to make a friend for life.

The recruitment process is clearly working well as all staff were friendly and helpful. I was especially impressed with one young guy - I don't know who it was - but he did the teenagers talk (I think last Wedesday) about identity but it was absolutely outstanding - simple, clear truth.....and I'm in my late 30s! I overheard it from our caravan as I got out of the shower....it was so good I went and sat down the bottom of the field to listen to it instead of going to the Bible study - after getting dressed of course!

There is room for improvement - the "football pitch" is basically a field - very uneven and with a lot of stones. More could be made of this both in terms of usage and safety. The swimming pool is OK but one of the smaller pools should be reserved for younger children at peak times - having older kids jumping around isn't great when you've got a 3 year old. The playground could have more - it was fine last week (site wasn't full) but during busy periods it doesn't really cater for everyone. The restaurant is good (we had great moules frites) but please change the chicken nuggets - I wouldn't feed them to my dog, let alone my daughter!!

A couple of tips

- Don't get this confused with Spring Harvest the conference! If you're like me and remember that on the seventh day God rested and didn't go to a conference then this holiday is for you.

- Like a previous reviewer I'm not sure I would recommend it for older teenagers unless they are happy with mixing with church folk doing church youth-type things. Without this I'm not sure there's enough to cater for them.

For a young family wanting a relaxing holiday it's ideal - good, friendly safe atmosphere and decent facilities. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: The Firgroves are fine - don't see the point in paying more.
6 Thank Klunk_Gsy
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our first family holiday, first time in a mobile home and first time at LPO - it was a big decision but we were desperate for a break and booked LPO after encouragement from friends. I'm so glad we did!
Our "Firgrove" mobile home was unexpectedly ready (we arrived early) so we were happily unpacked and settled in with time to swim before supper. The home was fairly central, an easy walk to the pool, the swings/slide playground, the bar/entertainments room etc. and had lawn space for our car, a play tent for our 3-yr-old, table & chairs and sunbeds too! The beds are clearly quite new and very clean, with firm mattresses and plenty of warm blankets for chillier late-August/ September nights. I hired towels to save space in the car. The kitchen is well kitted out and shower pressure good. The whole site & home were very clean and in good condition, despite being end of the season.
The onsite take-away does pizzas (excellent), pasta, jacket spuds etc so I had a week off cooking, enjoying a light bread-and-bits meal at lunch, shopping twice at the nearby supermarket. We had one meal at the restaurant which was fine but nothing special. Our friends hired a BBQ onsite so we enjoyed two bigger meals with them as well.
My husband hired a bike onsite and enjoyed the challenging (unofficial) 7.30am bike rides, together with plenty of sports and even Wii-bowling! Our daughter enjoyed everything about LPO, especially "Sticky Fingers" kids club which I was delighted to discover accepted 3-4's without parents, meaning I had 2 hours relaxation every morning beside the pool, with twice-weekly aqua-aerobics to burn off all the croissants.
Evening activities for us were limited with a 3yr old but included a lovely buggy walk along the river, a very good quiz night and a hilarious ceilidh dance on Saturday. We only made it to one evening worship session as we like to eat together early, but the main marquee is carpeted, well equipped with AV kit and it was lovely to see the kids involved. My husband enjoyed two of the adult teaching sessions and was also impressed with the session for teenagers, which he overheard whilst on a quiet walk. LPO is very relaxed and nothing like some of the big intense Christian events which rarely feel like a holiday - the spiritual input is very good but very optional and the team make it clear that rest & relaxation are just as important!
The swimming pool is cold, especially when the sun disappears and the wind picks up - I wished I'd bought a wetsuit instead of a swimsuit for our shivering girl. It's very clean though and the slide is great fun for bigger kids.
We were at LPO to rest & relax and have fun as a family after a very stressful 2 years, so didn't rush around visiting local tourist attractions, but there does seem loads to do in the local area so I've made a list for next year - we've booked for 2 weeks next time!
PS...It's a LOT cheaper to book before the end of November ;-)

3 Thank NLPGsy
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We have just arrived back for two weeks in La Pas. This was our fifth holiday there after a gap. Of a few years. Whilst the main features such as the accommodation have remained the same with its same high standard there have been a number of changes. The biggest change we noticed was that there was a lot more stuff to do if you wanted to. We enjoyed the quiz night, silent disco, archery and many other activities most of which were free.

If you want to go offsite the the beaches in the local area are excellent with long sandy beaches and good waves for bodyboarding or surfing.

Overall we had a relaxing time which we really enjoyed.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Despite saying I'd never holiday in the same place twice we've just returned from a third wonderful holiday here! The reason being: it offers so much to every member of our family. Our 4 children (ranging from 10 - 18) all have a great time here and have made many good friends. There is an excellent social programme for teenagers, as well as optional morning activities with a Christian focus. As adults we have enjoyed relaxing with a coffee on the terrace, listening to the daily Bible study and all of us have enjoyed the pool and sports facilities. The site is clean, pretty and safe to allow your children freedom to roam. The staff are friendly, the children's couriers wonderful and there is a vast array of activities to choose from, most free of charge. A particular bonus for young people wanting to explore is the free minibus shuttle service to nearby St Gilles. I'm looking forward to returning the year after next. A little piece of heaven on earth.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is our second year at LPO and we have booked for next year. Plenty of activities for all the family. You can choose to do as much or as little as you like. Excellent children's clubs for 0-18 years. It is easier if you take your car but there are plenty of organised trips using their own mini bus which also does regular trips to the local supermarket, beach and St. Gilles. We found it very easy to make friends as everyone is friendly. Even though the people we befriended last year weren't there, we made new friends.

Room Tip: I wouldn't book a 2 bedroom caravan that sleeps 6 for 6 as it would be cramped. I would only tak...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie
Ibis Styles Saint Gilles Croix de Vie
Ibis Styles Saint Gilles Croix d...
#1 of 5 in Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie
Madame Vacances Residence Les Fontenelles
Madame Vacances Residence Les Fo...
#1 of 1 in L'Aiguillon-sur-Vie
#1 of 3 in Saint-Hilaire-de-Riez
La Sterne
La Sterne
#3 of 5 in Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie

Been to Le Pas Opton? Share your experiences!