“A gem of a hotel”
Review of Logis Le Tadorne

Logis Le Tadorne
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Piney
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We booked our stay at this little hotel last minute. We had planned to stay in Troyes, but ended up in this sleepy little village instead. We were a bit unsure about the place when we arrived, but we had a lovely two-night stay here. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room was very comfortable and spacious. We were also pleasantly surprised to find an excellent jacuzzi bath in the bathroom. The shower in the bath didn't have much power, but it was adequate.

The restaurant is excellent! We enjoyed delicious food on both nights. The Tournedos Rossini was outstanding, beautifully cooked.

We would most certainly recommend this little hotel to our friends and family when travelling through France.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen A
There are newer reviews for Logis Le Tadorne

Reviewed August 1, 2011

booked this as an overnight stop on the way back from Langedoc.When I read all the negative reviews I wondered if we had done the right thing.But Apart from thre road being busy(but did'nt stop us sleeping),the hotel was fine.The 18 Euro menu at the restaurant was excellent and cooked to order,and the rooms were clean and spacious.If you booked a room at the back I doubt you would have heard the road noise at all.
The reception area was being refurbished at the time,but this was no problem.
Piney is a beautifull village and I would'nt hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Booked this hotel as to be fair was a good location driving back to Calais. Ie can cut off the autoroute and back on in morning. Village is quaint and hotel has nice old charm, although rooms need to be modernised (although appreciate this is an old building). Continental breakfast was a shambles, very poor. All in all, I stayed in a campanille on way down and although compact, did the job nicely. This place ok for overnight stop but not great by any means. The pool is across the road by the way in separate courtyard.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed June 21, 2010

For me the most disappointing aspect aspect of our stay was the service in the so called gastronic restaurant. Please do not believe the "2 pot" award from Logis de France - whilst the food was adequate, the service was appalling.

Three hours for the standard 3 course menu! I had to wait 30 minutes after ordering a bottle of champagne before being told it was not available. I then had to wait a further 20 minutes for a bottle of white burgundy to be told it was not available. Not a great start - no drinks on the table after 50 minutes!

Bread was more like a rock cake rather than a roll, arrived cold, and was pronounced inedibele by my 6 yr old. My wifes fish was heavily oversalted, our sides arrived tepid, and the childrens omelettes were overcooked verging on burnt. To their credit, the cheese course was actually quite good, but I suppose theres not much can wrong between buying it in your local Intermarche and serving it up that night! Plates were cleared only spordically, bizarrely, my wifes and one the chilrens first, the rest 15 minutes later, when I started rattling & clearing the plates myself. Oh, and to cap it all, coffee took 25 minutes to arrive as well.

As to the accomadation. Well the rooms were adequate, of a reasonable standard for a Logis, but you do hear every car or rather 45 ft lorry that goes past, and we were in a room off the main street! As for the swimming pool - well to be fair it was being cleaned as we arrived, but it had extensive, terrible green algae all over the liner, and I would not have allowed any of my famly to risk swimming in it.

So, I thought I would politely ofer my feedback to the chef patron on the morning of departure, and was frankly amazed that he disagreed with my feedback / facts and despite the language barrier, I understood enough French to understand that he did not take kindly to having some suggestions for improvement made. Stay here at your peril, and only if you want terrible service, a noisy room, and a rude patron.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2009

Simple but not worth driving to. We were just deeply unimpressed. Popular with cyclists.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2009

The welcome best described as brusque. Assigned room 8 "Is it on the front, Madame?" "Yes, but the trucks stop at night." Like a fool I believed her. I did ask for a change but was told the hotel was full.
Room 8 - toilet painted in a shade of green that ensured you did not linger, and when you sweep the curtains back the first truck went by - I kid you not - about 8 feet from where I stood. For the technically minded a "truck" is typically about 45 feet (15 metres) long, weighs in at around 38 tonnes, has hundreds of horses (BHP) under the lid ,lots of axles and tyres and is very noisy, particularly when it changes gear as it approaches the bend the apex of which has room 8.
So to the restaurant. Practically empty but shown to the smallest table with the cheapest glassware - and - just like room 8 about 8 feet from the road - and yes, the trucks continued! Meal was piece of ok terrine, what I think was capon with some veg, and then a nice pear confection. Main surprise was that it was all the same temperature - cold. The wine list makes your eyes water. The "house" red is 21 Euros a bottle (roughly £20 or US$30). As it probably only cost around 3E a mark up of 700% or so seems a tad excessive. This is in the Champagne region full of grape bearing bushes! If better restaurants in the French Alps can do a decent house wine - where, correct me if I am wrong there are not too many vineyards at 1000m high - for around 10E, why so expensive?? Only good thing about the hotel were the two people looking after us in the restaurant - they were a delight.
So to bed in room 8. The trucks do stop at night. Unfortunately this appears to be at traffic lights or somesuch down the road, and then as a pack (convoy) they rumble out of the distance with room 8 firmly in their sights! You get about 5 minutes of quiet, and then it is around 100dbs. At 0530 I gave up, packed and abluted I hit the road.
My advice if you really insist on staying in this establishment
- arrive no later than 3pm, if you are in a room on the front do not even unpack the car - drive on, there are much better places in this area, and where you might even get a good nights sleep
- check out other restaurants in the area
Finally, I (and my better half) have stayed at many Logis - this is the first one that was hopeless.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank DavidK134
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We organised a birthday party for one of our friends at this hotel. We contacted them a year in advance, and emails flew back and forth during the year, and the staff at the hotel couldn't have been more helpful. The actual party went perfectly. Such a friendly hotel receptionist (Laurence). M et Mme Carillon were as helpful as could be. Our rooms were perfect. Restaurant excellent with superb food. What more can I say? Everything was good!

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank FrodoSurrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piney
Best Western Hotel Golf & Spa De La Foret D'Orient
Hotel Restaurant Le Moulin du Landion
Hotel des Pirates
Hotel des Pirates
#1 of 2 in Dolancourt

Been to Logis Le Tadorne? Share your experiences!