We spent 4 nights at the Waldklause over New Year's, which is why we had wanted it to be a unique experience. Overall we enjoyed our stay, but to be honest, I would have expected more from a hotel with a 4-star rating and in this price class.
It was mainly the lack of attention to detail that didn't really live up to our expectations.
It started with the welcome we received, which I felt was a bit frosty, especially after the fabulous experience I had made in the past in Austrian hotels. Upon arrival, we didn't really know where we could leave our car, so for the time being I parked it in a vacant parking space outside, while the whole family waited in the car and I walked up to the reception. I asked where we could park the car, so that we could all unload our luggage and come up reception for check-in. The staff, however, insisted that I first fetch everyone in order to fill in the check-in form, adding that 'we could worry about the car and the luggage later'. This didn't seem very customer-friendly to me.
Throughout our stay, there were other details that we were not all that happy with:
- There are two towels for the spa area in the room. After using one, this was not replaced.
- On the day following our arrival, we went out after breakfast, hanging the usual card ('please make up our room') on the door knob, and didn't return until early afternoon, only to find that one of our rooms still hadn't been cleaned. A complaint prompted a promise that it would be taken care of immediately, but we had to spend another 90 minutes or so in the lobby, waiting for it to be done.
- My parents left the balcony door open before they went out. Several hours later, when they returned, they found the room made up, but the balcony door still open (with outside temperatures well below freezing!). It took them several hours to get the room temperatures back up to an acceptable level.
- When inquiring at reception about the start of the aperitif before the New Year's gala dinner, we were given a wrong time - half an hour later than it actually started...
- The service in the dining room seemed to lack co-ordination most of the time, leading to the same questions being asked by two different members of staff, and to a very long wait on one evening.
- A waiter asking us to take two champagne glasses directly out of his hand when serving us, seemingly out of his own convenience and so that he wouldn't have to put down whatever he's holding in his other hand, is not the way I would like to be served in an establishment of this category!
On the positive side, the food was undoubtedly excellent, and the selection of bread at the breakfast buffet was the best I had ever seen. Also the wooden architecture makes the hotel a very cosy place, inviting to relax.
Still, all things considered, I felt it was too much average for its class and for the price we paid.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When a hotel is voted “Europe’s most beautiful environmentally-friendly hotel” for the third year in a row by an expert jury of the German travel magazine “Geo Saison”, it must be something special. And it is: the Waldklause! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotel.de, HRS and Booking.com so you can book your Naturhotel Waldklause reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Naturhotel Waldklause Langenfeld
- Naturhotel Waldklause Austria/Langenfeld