“Not to bad, but...”

Villa Porro Pirelli
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Induno Olona
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two nights and it's nice but... The but is in the fact that the hotel is in some need of serious maintenance. It's a mix of original Italian flair with a wannabe 4 star quality hotel.
The staff was very helpful but hardly speaks good enough English. I don't understand they don't understand the simplest English sentences. But okay.
The breakfast was plainly poor. Boring white buns, transparent cheese and uninteresting salami. You would expect different from a hotel in this area.
One more thing; don't think about using the 'spa' or fitness. Just don't...

• Stayed: September 2011
There are newer reviews for Villa Porro Pirelli

Reviewed September 30, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights in the middle of our European trip. We chose this hotel as we had a rental car and didn't want to spend a lot of money for a Lake Como hotel.

We learned our lesson....

The hotel was probably a really nice place 20 years ago, but all has changed with time. The property is in need of major TLC. Furnishings are worn, the walls are covered in scrapes and marks from people hitting them, the exterior walls have lots of plaster coming off....etc.

Our room was a decent size and the A/C worked. Problem was the carpet had more stains on it then I care for and the walls needed a paint job 5 years ago! The bathroom was the best part of the room...probably about 5 or 6 years old but nice still.

The bedding was a bit of a joke. Our sheets had stains and little holes throughout...they were clean - but should not be in circulation.

The parking garage was also empty....probably 6 cars in it including ours. Not sure how this hotel is still in business as I can't imagine anybody taking public transportation to stay there.

My recommendation would be to find another hotel.

Reviewed September 28, 2010

This is not your typical chain-styled hotel. It is an old structure with character, but has very nice new bathrooms (just don't look at the mold on the smoke detector in room 210). The rooms are of nice size and clean. Could use new carpets and bettter pillows. The grounds are very nice, and they have enough parking for a small mall. It was a great price, too! We had just driven down from Switzerland, so didn't take time to explore the area much.

Reviewed September 17, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights in September and I think we, and my parents who we travelled with were the only people staying in the hotel, apart from on the Saturday night when there was a wedding.There were more staff than guests, no atmosphere and nothing to do in the hotel. The bar was not open any of the nights we were there, even the night of the wedding. We had breakfast in the hotel the first morning and none of the food was worth talking about, and the cost was €10 per person. Parking, in an empty car park was €5 per night, a joke. The staff were friendly and couldn't complain about them. In terms of location you could not stay here without a car, it is about 10 mins from Lake Varese and about half an hour from Maggiore so not a good base. The rooms and the hotel are nice, but would not recommend it to anyone based on lack of people/atmosphere and location.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

Arriving here alone on a rainy August night, I immediately realized I must be rather alone in the hotel: the whole parking lot was empty more or less. The venue is amazing and one can only immagine how difficult it is to maintain it all, and this shows: moisture is attacking the building on some places and also in the room, one could see the walls being affected by this and the paint falling off. But surroundings are beautiful and antique, probably more enjoyable on a sunny summer evening. Since the village seemed rather closed down I asked for something to eat. Restaurant was open and once I had left my luggage in my room and came downstairs the chef and the waiter were waiting for me in the lobby (confirmed my assumption of hotel not being fully booked!). The chef improvised a pasta dish for me and the waiter was very attentive and friendly.
The reason to why I felt like stepping into a horrormovie is that the hotel felt like it had been abandoned. I was all alone in the big halls, wind and rain outside and just 3 of the staff around.
Room was ok, but standard rather basic and decorations very classic. Surprised to find Etro bath products! Due to hot temperatures in the room (air condition not on when arriving to the room) I slept with open window. Big mistake since the mosquitos from the fountain outside loved me. At 1 am I was trying to figure out the air con and could then sleep better but the mosquitos were still keeping me awake.

All in all a funny experience due to staff being so nice but a bit strange being all alone in this huge house (with chapel beneath).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MissTravelbabe
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Stayed at this hotel as overnight stopover during our trip from Switzerland to Milan. And to tell the truth, this hotel has nothing to be excited about. While during better weather, it might be nice to spend some time walking outside in the large hotel park, but during our stay it was raining heavily, leaving us trapped in the hotel. And believe us, it is very, very sad to be in the hotel for a whole day - there's basically zero things you can do. Maybe due to hotel being mostly empty during our stay, but staff was terribly slow as well (but they did their best trying to be useful): for example, we went to restaurant and ordered some light dinner (pasta and gnocchi) - it took almost an hour to get our food served.
Rooms were also rather mediocre and showing signs of aging, common hotel areas looked used as well.
In overall - I think this hotel barely makes it to 4 star rating, would not recommend.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Great hotel for exploring the Italian lakes. We only stayed for 4 nights but visited Lake Maggiore, Milan and we even drove to Venice (dont ask!!). The hotel was a very grand Italian villa. Nice bar area. Did not eat in the restaurant so I cannot comment. We flew into Milan and had no difficulty in finding Varese but really struggled to find the hotel. We contacted reception who were very friendly and they helped us reach the hotel. Lovely breakfast. I liked Varese - it was not what I expected... it had a very yound vibe to it being a University town and had plenty of bars - the Sunday night was great for people watching over a beer.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Grand Hotel Des Iles Borromees
Hotel Capolago
Hotel Capolago
#5 of 23 in Varese

Been to Villa Porro Pirelli? Share your experiences!