All reviewsgreat funthere are so manyfeel at homegreat companyan added bonusfabulous holidayfellow guestsplentiful supplydining tablehome madean amazing experiencehis teambirthday cakeeight yearslearn somethingtaking lessonsmeet interesting people
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Wow, what a fantastic find. My friend and I have just returned from a 4 day bank holiday break at French Riding Holidays. The horses are so well looked after and content that it made the rides incredible - the best horse riding I have ever done.The accommodation is lovely and the food delicious. Nothing beats returning to the chilled out house after a day of riding and drinking one...two...several glasses of rose by the pool. Thank you to the whole, friendly team for making our trip so much fun....hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I have never felt so looked after on holiday, both in the gite and while out on horseback.

In the gite: the rooms were clean and comfortable, the food was unfussy, varied and of superb quality, and being able to borrow the computer to send the odd email home was an unexpected bonus.

On horseback: the many miles of trails around the Mas de Clamouze made for varied and incredibly scenic riding. The horses are trustworthy enough to carry beginners and the riding is adapted to the needs of the group, so as challenging as you can handle. Extra care was taken to ensure that more novice riders were looked after, while the more confident could go ahead at higher speeds and pause for a breather while the others caught up. Derek knows his horses inside out and can match them to riders' abilities without hesitation. There are enough horses that you won't get stale and they are all very fit and incredibly willing - not to mention sure-footed on the steeper trails.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Mrs_Padders
Reviewed May 26, 2010

I'm writing this looking out across the sprawl of London. The noise and chaos is a complete antithesis to what you will find at Derek and Anne's retreat.
The stresses of work, and life, melted away after our first ride through the beautiful countryside.
I was a novice rider, having started taking lessons earlier this year, and had never ridden outside of a school. As others have reported, Derek really does know his horses well, and paired me with a sure-footed, forgiving, gentle horse for my first few days to allow me to gain my confidence.
I had my first canter, my first gallop, and my first fall, and loved every moment of it (even falling off).

The countryside is as beautiful as it is varied, you'll pass through villages that don't appear to have changed in hundreds of years, hilltop meadows that overlook the valleys, woods where the dappled light sparkles on the streams and waterfalls; and all on the same ride.

Whilst Derek ensures you have the best ride, Anne makes sure you have some great food to come back home to - washed down with your choice of red, white , or rosé wine!

Before we left to come home, we booked our next two return trips. Its a beautiful place to ride, with great hosts, lovely horses (hello Nelson), and cheaper than riding at home. Why would you not book?

Thank you Derek, Anne, Clare (and Hannah) for one of the most relaxing holidays we have ever taken.

/David & Suzy.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drlbradley
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Have just come back from an Easter weekend break with the gang at French Riding holidays. It was excellent. If you want a holiday where you begin to feel like one of the family and just get on without standing on ceremony, then you will have a blast. The food was lovely and there was plenty to drink (soft and non soft!).

The rooms were clean and warm and there was plenty of hot water for a shower; essential after an exhilaring canter through the chestnut woods (couldn't stop grinning for hours afterwards). Everyone eats and socialises together for meals, which is great for meeting lovely new people. If you want to be a wall flower and don't like mucking in and helping out (although they do try to stop you), then this probably isn't the place for you. Oh, there isn't a telly either - result!

I learned a tremendous amount about horses (having never groomed, tacked up, or ridden in canter out of the saddle in a cross country style before). The horses are well looked after, well behaved and Derek the owner is a tremendous horseman. When I went I was the only guest and Claire 'the glamorous assistant' was very concerned that I didn't feel neglected (I didn't, thanks Claire).

I changed some £ into Euros before I went and came back with exactly the same amount. Didn't spend a penny. It truly is fully inclusive. If you are there for a week you may buy a postcard or too but that will probably be about it. Fly into Rodez (45 mins transfer) rather than Toulouse (2 hours). Ryanair do like to you put everything in one bag if you are carrying on which was a bit tricky with my riding hat. Don't take too many clothes though, I came back with several unworn. No one cares what you wear or how often you wear it. It ain't a fashion show, you will get mucky, but it brushes off!

I can't wait to book myself in again; a long weekend was great but I need to go for longer next time. Thank you Derek, Anne and Claire for making my weekend so enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Pol_in_the_Smoke
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We spent 3 perfect days with Derek and Anne on our first (and won't be the last) riding holiday. My husband booked it as a surprise for my 50th birthday as I'd always wanted to learn to ride and he couldn't have chosen a better place.

On our first day Derek (owner) chose suitable horses for us both and we went for our first ride out - I had Epice who was a fantastic horse that is great for beginners like me, she really kept me safe. The next 2 days we did many hours of riding with Derek, Anne and Clare - the countryside was lovely and the rides are varied and some really challenged us which was a confidence boost - but you are never asked to do anything you don't feel ready to do.

All meals were home cooked and very good with plenty of wine and beer and were taken at the Gite where everyone eats together, this may not be everyones first choice of eating arrangements, but I can guarantee that the company of the above mentioned was fantastic and we had many good dinner converstations which was easy and relaxed around a real log fire.

The Gite where you stay, is clean and comfortable and our bed had a very good mattress which is essential for weary bones at the end of a long day.

The horses are well trained by Derek and he is a very patient teacher - and by day 3 we were helping to tack up the horses (although still needed a little guidance) and were encouraged to really get involved.

We will return to French Riding Holidays as soon as we can - its superb value for money and leaves you with many lovely memories. Thanks a million all 3 of you.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple