All reviewsgreat funthere are so manyfeel at homegreat companyan added bonusfabulous holidayfellow guestsplentiful supplydining tablehome madean amazing experiencehis teambirthday cakeeight yearslearn somethingtaking lessonsmeet interesting people
Reviewed August 17, 2017

I'm a little embarrassed it's taken so long to review French Riding Holidays. My husband and I first visited last year for 4 nights. We enjoyed ourselves so much we signed up for Adventure Week this year. We typically never do a big trip back to the same location, but as soon as I got their 2017 season email, it was a no brainer that we had to return!

The riding is as amazing as you'd imagine it being in the French countryside. There are so many trails and the terrain is varied that it never gets boring. My husband and I are intermediate/intermediate+ riders and found the level to be perfect. Whether you want to be challenged more or take it easier, they are willing to accommodate you. We also really enjoyed being "tested" on the TREK course they built on the property. They now have pole jumps as well, which we got to try this year along with horseball (an actual professional sport--who knew!) and pony games, which were a hoot.

For Adventure Week we also got to join a local rally ride and did 2 nights camping out, riding 100km in total. In addition one day they even let each of us have a go at leading a ride where we were tested on how well we looked after the group and managed to navigate a paper map (I don't even remember the last time I looked at a printed map!).

Derek is a wizard at pairing people with horses. The first night of our first trip, he sat down and assessed our personalities and styles nearly perfectly--after only a few hours of meeting us--and managed to select the right horses for us right off the bat. I feel like if I followed Derek around for a month I would learn more about horsemanship than taking lessons from anyone else for a year!

The whole team at FRH are just fabulous and one of the reasons we keep returning. Another client once described FRH as "taking what they do seriously, but not taking themselves seriously," which is really the perfect description.

One of the reasons why we first chose FRH is that they let you do as much riding as can be fit in to your time there unlike some other locations that seem to nickle and dime you for every ride outside their schedule. Everyone is very easy going and just want guests to enjoy themselves.

On top of the riding, the accommodations are very comfortable. Not luxe, but perfectly adequate for what you need. The food is filling and delicious--I don't think we've ever had the same meal twice. And there is always plenty of wine, beer, and cheese.

If you're looking for a great time, great food, and awesome riding, don't hesitate to book here! Next year we hope to join one of their progressive rides :)

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jcc813
Reviewed July 24, 2017

A very rewarding week ,despite the wet weather which did prevent us doing any of the full day rides. We rode virtually every day for a few hours in the morning, back to a very tasty lunch and then a few more hours in the afternoon.
The rides included many steep ascents and descents and long canters on smooth grassy tracks and field edges. I am sure that the combination of varied terrain and such well schooled and responsive horses resulted in me being a better rider after a week at FRH than I was before.
The accommodation was very good and comfortable and the food was varied and very enjoyable. The guests and staff members ate together for the main meals and the unlimited wine and beer was a definite plus.
The staff members were all very friendly and competent and gave lots of riding advice when needed.
FRH is a two hour drive from Toulouse airport. Mike picked me up and returned me there for what was a reasonable charge compared to what a taxi would cost.
One afternoon we spent a few hours doing their TREC agility course which was a good way to improve ones control of the horse. There is also a jumping arena adjacent to the accommodation.
I rode three different horses during the week, they were all a pleasure to ride though Dizzee did become my favourite.
One important factor is that FRH has horses that can accommodate riders up to 16 stone. Fortunately I am not that weight but there are other riding centres which have a much lower maximum weight which does exclude me from patronising them.
Will I be going back again? Yes I will.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2017 via mobile

Made to feel most welcome. Beautiful happy horses for every requirement. Incredible scenery..run by friendly staff .. would love to return. I am now in love with horses Capitol and Kim ...who looked after me brilliantly and did their best to calm my initial novice nerves.

Stayed: June 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2017

A friend and I went from Saturday to Wednesday and were able to ride every day. The rides were great fun with fantastic views. I really wanted to do some jumping and this was arranged for me. The horses were lovely, the food was delicious and plentiful, as were the drinks and the staff members were very friendly and helpful. There is a swimming pool on site. I just want to go back!

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed April 17, 2017 via mobile

I've visited French Riding Holidays many times over the last eight years, but this holiday included my first mini trail ride, which was splendid, we had four day rides, each one with wonderful views, scenic picnic stops and great canters. The team at FRH look after the guests with great care and attention to your riding ability, whilst at the same time challenging you to do more than you thought that you could.
My next holiday is already booked!

Stayed: April 2017, traveled solo