All reviewsgreat funthere are so manyfeel at homegreat companyan added bonusfabulous holidayfellow guestsplentiful supplydining tablehome madean amazing experiencehis teambirthday cakeeight yearslearn somethingtaking lessonsmeet interesting people
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We booked at French Riding Holidays because we saw all the wonderful comments on Trip Advisor about the place - & they really are true! It is a home away from home and is so easy to access with Rodez airport so close by. The team are great fun and so encouraging. Although we have been riding for many years we felt we learnt so much. There are so many different places to ride, you really can get lost in France! The horses are all so friendly (not to mention the staff & dogs & rabbits!) - I really fell in love with mine who looked after me on quiet roads, cross country & gallops! The food is yummy! (I've learnt a few new recipes!)
We were the couple celbrating our 35th wedding anniversary and just want to say a BIG thankyou for providing the wonderful celebratory lunch with champagne & cake:))))
Happy memories!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank irish0nt0ur
Reviewed September 4, 2012

A sign of a great break is when it just goes too quick and we really could have stayed longer. What impressed us most was the warm hospitality coupled with wonderful horses in an ideal location. It's hard to believe its such a short distance from England and so worth doing even if you only have a few days.
We travelled as a couple, only novice standard and really felt it brought on both our riding and confidence in such a short time. The horses were more responsive than I was used to but such a joy to ride and I really learnt a lot in a short space of time and felt totally secure with the instruction provided by Derek and Hurley. One thing I had never seen before was just how 'social' horses could be, and to be riding through the countryside passing other horses who would run to greet you and then run by your side for as far as they could, is an image not to be forgotton.
We met some wonderful guests including a lovely irish couple who were celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary and Derek and Anne suprised them with a bottle of champagne on an all day ride picnic lunch. Tables were set up on a sleepy village green where again Karen, Hurley and Jo had gone to so much trouble to prepare lunch in advance. Their were plenty of canters and we even did our first gallop - if you get to go out with Anne on Pelangi she can really shift!
We could not have chosed anywhere better and we certainly plan to return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda R
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I felt so welcomed at French Riding Holidays, particularly as I was travelling on my own. There is a warm family ambiance, particularly as staff and guests sit down to eat together three times a day so we have lovely conversations around the dining table. The food was absolutely delicious due to the continual hard work of Louise, Karen and Anne (and Derek the night of the legendary roast dinner) and there is a great swimming pool to relax in at the end of the day

All of which would make a fabulous holiday alone but of course here you also have the pleasure of riding every day. The scenery that you ride through is absolutely breathtaking with panoramic vistas of rolling French countryside as far as the eye can see. The horses are keen and forward-going so you can enjoy lots of lovely fast canters and even gallops but also bond with them by helping to look after them every day if you so wish. Derek is also great at giving instruction and so I felt my riding improved by leaps and bounds over the course of the time I was there.

I have never holidayed in the same place twice before but I loved it so much I am already planning my next trip!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank attentionseeker1
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The title says it all. From the moment of arrival we were made to feel most welcome, with a lovely meal waiting for us! It was like being at home from the moment we arrived
Staff - all of the staff were so friendly and make you feel part of the family. They all had a smile on their face and were so helpful, nothing was too much bother for them. It was as though they had known us for years.
Accommodation - lovely, clean and comfortable rooms, not that we spent much time in them! The house was beautiful, swimming pool well used after a days riding and lots of space to realx and enjoy the sun!
Food - What can I say??? Food was superb, if we had any requests they were accommodated and it was different every night. The standard of food was tremendous.
Horses - They were well cared for and clearly loved, every one of them. They were all individuals, each with their own personality and all very well trained, though I would certainly not compare them to a riding school horse! There are horses available for all standards of riding - my husband who had only been on a horse a handful of times was given one who was quiet and steady, but as his riding improved, the horse adapted to his standard of riding and got faster when called for!
Riding - I cannot describe the beautiful scenery, off road trail riding, lovely French villages. We rode over a variety of terrain, and had lots of gallops! Derek is so knowledgable of his horses, and within a couple of minutes of talking to us he knew exaclty which horses would be suitable and he was spot on. Along with Chris, they took us for spectaular rides on spectacular horses. The picnic rides were great fun, but so was all the riding. The cross country course was great fun, though I didn't do it my daughter did, and she loved it.
If you are thinking of a riding holiday, don't look anywhere else. You will not regret choosing FRH, this is backed up by the number of repeat guests they get - us included as we booked our next trip before we left.
One of my best holidays ever - I can totally recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DawnieCumbria
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I felt at home from the very minute that Anne met me at the station. The food was fabulous (thank you Anne, Karen and Louise!!), and the gite was very comfortable, with the swimming pool as an added bonus.
The horses are brilliant - all have real characters and are sensible, responsive and forward going. Derek has a great ability to match riders with horses - he picked out the beautiful Cirrus for me (I wanted to bring him home but unfortunately he wouldn't fit in my suitcase...). There are definitely suitable horses for all experience levels.
The rides were beautiful - up and down steep hills (I don't know how the horses do it!!) and really varied scenery with forests, hills, little streams, pretty villages, and beautiful views opening up as you climb higher. The pace is good with plenty of opportunity to canter and some slightly terrifying fast gallops up through the fields!!
It was good to have some variety in the rides each day, always setting out in a different direction, with picnic rides, the superb restaurant on the restaurant ride, and sometimes doing two half day rides and returning to the gite for a delicious lunch and a couple of hours relaxing in the middle of the day. One of the real highlights for me was getting to try out the cross country course!!
I felt really safe all the time - Derek, Celine and Chris were excellent guides, and there is plenty of opportunity to learn whilst you are riding if you wish to do so!
I will definitely return, and will be telling all my friends that they should come too!! I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who was considering booking.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo