“Home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Asprieres
French Riding Holidays
London
“Home away from home”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I felt so welcomed at French Riding Holidays, particularly as I was travelling on my own. There is a warm family ambiance, particularly as staff and guests sit down to eat together three times a day so we have lovely conversations around the dining table. The food was absolutely delicious due to the continual hard work of Louise, Karen and Anne (and Derek the night of the legendary roast dinner) and there is a great swimming pool to relax in at the end of the day

All of which would make a fabulous holiday alone but of course here you also have the pleasure of riding every day. The scenery that you ride through is absolutely breathtaking with panoramic vistas of rolling French countryside as far as the eye can see. The horses are keen and forward-going so you can enjoy lots of lovely fast canters and even gallops but also bond with them by helping to look after them every day if you so wish. Derek is also great at giving instruction and so I felt my riding improved by leaps and bounds over the course of the time I was there.

I have never holidayed in the same place twice before but I loved it so much I am already planning my next trip!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank attentionseeker1

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cumbria
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The title says it all. From the moment of arrival we were made to feel most welcome, with a lovely meal waiting for us! It was like being at home from the moment we arrived
Staff - all of the staff were so friendly and make you feel part of the family. They all had a smile on their face and were so helpful, nothing was too much bother for them. It was as though they had known us for years.
Accommodation - lovely, clean and comfortable rooms, not that we spent much time in them! The house was beautiful, swimming pool well used after a days riding and lots of space to realx and enjoy the sun!
Food - What can I say??? Food was superb, if we had any requests they were accommodated and it was different every night. The standard of food was tremendous.
Horses - They were well cared for and clearly loved, every one of them. They were all individuals, each with their own personality and all very well trained, though I would certainly not compare them to a riding school horse! There are horses available for all standards of riding - my husband who had only been on a horse a handful of times was given one who was quiet and steady, but as his riding improved, the horse adapted to his standard of riding and got faster when called for!
Riding - I cannot describe the beautiful scenery, off road trail riding, lovely French villages. We rode over a variety of terrain, and had lots of gallops! Derek is so knowledgable of his horses, and within a couple of minutes of talking to us he knew exaclty which horses would be suitable and he was spot on. Along with Chris, they took us for spectaular rides on spectacular horses. The picnic rides were great fun, but so was all the riding. The cross country course was great fun, though I didn't do it my daughter did, and she loved it.
If you are thinking of a riding holiday, don't look anywhere else. You will not regret choosing FRH, this is backed up by the number of repeat guests they get - us included as we booked our next trip before we left.
One of my best holidays ever - I can totally recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DawnieCumbria
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I felt at home from the very minute that Anne met me at the station. The food was fabulous (thank you Anne, Karen and Louise!!), and the gite was very comfortable, with the swimming pool as an added bonus.
The horses are brilliant - all have real characters and are sensible, responsive and forward going. Derek has a great ability to match riders with horses - he picked out the beautiful Cirrus for me (I wanted to bring him home but unfortunately he wouldn't fit in my suitcase...). There are definitely suitable horses for all experience levels.
The rides were beautiful - up and down steep hills (I don't know how the horses do it!!) and really varied scenery with forests, hills, little streams, pretty villages, and beautiful views opening up as you climb higher. The pace is good with plenty of opportunity to canter and some slightly terrifying fast gallops up through the fields!!
It was good to have some variety in the rides each day, always setting out in a different direction, with picnic rides, the superb restaurant on the restaurant ride, and sometimes doing two half day rides and returning to the gite for a delicious lunch and a couple of hours relaxing in the middle of the day. One of the real highlights for me was getting to try out the cross country course!!
I felt really safe all the time - Derek, Celine and Chris were excellent guides, and there is plenty of opportunity to learn whilst you are riding if you wish to do so!
I will definitely return, and will be telling all my friends that they should come too!! I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who was considering booking.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank klm500
Scotland
Reviewed June 29, 2012

So good that I have booked again for 2013 and bringing 9 friends along!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dobbin
Holt, norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

just had to write a little on here just to say what a fab place it was.Could of stayed there forever. I went for a week that seemed to fly by.The horses were all lovely. fell a little in love with penbrook(not sure if I spelt it right).The accomidation made you feel at home and the evening meals were always a laugh with great food.The staff were also lovely and derek and chris were both amazing with the horses. You can learn a lot just by watching them.i would recommend anyone to go there but be warned you won't want to come home. :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rosie V
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is really a great place, no complaints whatsoever. Anne and Derek treat you like a guest, not like a customer, and anything you or your group prefers will be taken into consideration. The accommodation is cozy, the food is excellent, and of course the best part are the horses and the horsemanship.
We were here a year ago, with a group of eight ladies, and returned this year with a group of ten ladies. Some are more confident riders and enjoy speed, some enjoy more the companionship of the horses and the views with moderate speed, and all the preferences can be met.
A gem truly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sanski66
London
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Anyone tempted to take a riding holiday - either a short break or a longer stay - should definitely consider French Riding Holidays! I chose them because of the flexibility (you can stay as many days as you want), easy access (1.25 hour flight from Stansted to Rodez, then only half an hour by car, so you waste a minimum of time on travelling), and "all inclusive" policy. They really make it easy for you to just arrive and start enjoying your holiday from the moment you cross the threshold.

The horses are absolutely superb, healthy, forward-going and great characters. I reckon they have a suitable mount from the most nervous novice up to really advanced riders. The staff/ rider leaders here are so excellent, they really know their stuff, and they will look out for you and make sure you're getting the most out of every ride. The countryside is beautiful, picturesque and varied and you'll generally see no more than a handful of cars per ride. There's a jumping paddock and cross-country course for more advanced/ adventurous riders, too.

The gite you stay in is not luxurious but very comfy and you naturally mix with the other guests - which would be particularly nice if you go on your own. The food is wonderful - homely, plentiful, filling and French - and local wine & beer flows freely (much appreciated after a ride!)

I believe anyone, up to the most advanced rider, could enjoy a wonderful holiday here - but from personal experience as a nervy novice (and my friend who came with me was almost a complete beginner), the staff here are really brilliant at giving you confidence and coaching to improve your riding and get over any nerves or issues. And they have some superb confidence-giving horses who are nonetheless still loads of fun to ride! No ploddy, bored, trail horses here, that's for sure! :-)

Through a week of riding and hanging out with the staff, the horses, and other guests, I learned a HUGE amount and I'm sure my riding has improved greatly... and all while having lots of fun and a lovely relaxing holiday.

If you're still reading, I don't know what else I can say... go and look up their website and get yourself booked in!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank GameDamsel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Asprieres
Logis Auberge La Diege
#1 of 1 in Causse-et-Diege
Hotel de Paris
Hotel de Paris
#1 of 1 in Capdenac-Gare

Been to French Riding Holidays? Share your experiences!