All reviewsgreat funthere are so manyfeel at homegreat companyan added bonusfabulous holidayfellow guestsplentiful supplydining tablehome madean amazing experiencehis teambirthday cakeeight yearslearn somethingtaking lessonsmeet interesting people
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Anyone tempted to take a riding holiday - either a short break or a longer stay - should definitely consider French Riding Holidays! I chose them because of the flexibility (you can stay as many days as you want), easy access (1.25 hour flight from Stansted to Rodez, then only half an hour by car, so you waste a minimum of time on travelling), and "all inclusive" policy. They really make it easy for you to just arrive and start enjoying your holiday from the moment you cross the threshold.

The horses are absolutely superb, healthy, forward-going and great characters. I reckon they have a suitable mount from the most nervous novice up to really advanced riders. The staff/ rider leaders here are so excellent, they really know their stuff, and they will look out for you and make sure you're getting the most out of every ride. The countryside is beautiful, picturesque and varied and you'll generally see no more than a handful of cars per ride. There's a jumping paddock and cross-country course for more advanced/ adventurous riders, too.

The gite you stay in is not luxurious but very comfy and you naturally mix with the other guests - which would be particularly nice if you go on your own. The food is wonderful - homely, plentiful, filling and French - and local wine & beer flows freely (much appreciated after a ride!)

I believe anyone, up to the most advanced rider, could enjoy a wonderful holiday here - but from personal experience as a nervy novice (and my friend who came with me was almost a complete beginner), the staff here are really brilliant at giving you confidence and coaching to improve your riding and get over any nerves or issues. And they have some superb confidence-giving horses who are nonetheless still loads of fun to ride! No ploddy, bored, trail horses here, that's for sure! :-)

Through a week of riding and hanging out with the staff, the horses, and other guests, I learned a HUGE amount and I'm sure my riding has improved greatly... and all while having lots of fun and a lovely relaxing holiday.

If you're still reading, I don't know what else I can say... go and look up their website and get yourself booked in!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank GameDamsel
Reviewed September 2, 2011

It's almost impossible to find fault with our holiday. The farmhouse is cosy and comfortable with nicely appointed rooms. Food is superbly cooked by Louise and Ann and, despite plenty of exercise I still managed to put on weight! The horses are extremely well trained and we had numerous exciting rides in the beautiful countryside as well as trying out the XC course. I think the highlight of the week was swimming with the horses (sometimes staying on) in the river. The rides were ably led by Derek and Celine and helped by Hannah.
Really really can't wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank robert S
Reviewed August 20, 2011

There aren't enough superlatives to describe this holiday. Derek, Ann and Louise were the perfect hosts with delicious food and copious amounts of wonderful wine and ice-cold beers.
But it is the horses that are the true stars - I fell in love with Noiree who gave me the rides of my life. But as if incredible rides in the most spectacular scenery were not enough - we got to swim, and I do mean swim, with the horses. What a truly magical experience. There aren't words to describe this - you have to DO it! And at the end of the day there is the lovely pool welcoming tired, aching bodies. Another important point to make is that all riding abilities are made welcome and catered for, from beginner to advanced. I came away having learnt so much and feeling I had made definite improvements in my own riding and this goes for all the family. Honestly, if you are thinking of having a riding holiday - this is the place to do it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Pam l
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This was our third holiday with French Riding Holidays, and we hope to go back again and again!
Derek and Anne have a truly lovely place in South West France where the riding is sublime and the horses are beautiful.
Guests are treated to some superb days out on horesback. Derek will match you to a horse that suits your ability, so this holiday would be suitable for most levels of rider; having said that, some experience of faster riding on trails would be an advantage.
First; the horses are amazing...all of them are so fit and well cared for.
Secondly, the accomodation is homely, relaxing and fun.
You will be well fed, either at the gite, on a picnic or on a restaurant ride. Louise and Anne prepare and serve hearty meals, with wine, and cater for veggies and meat lovers excellently.
If you want to visit a beautiful, quiet, warm part of France, ride brilliant horses on trails and over terrain that is truly breathtaking, join with a small group of likeminded people, and enjoy good food, wine and company, then French Riding Holidays is the place to be.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank fiduroe
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We've just got back from another fantastic week in Asprieres. Despite the rain (July??) we had some amazing rides. We galloped across fields, through forests and along long country lanes. No gates to worry about - you can ride for miles and miles. The day rides were incredibly exciting - 6 hours of riding with a fabulous pic nic in the middle of the day. We also met some great people - and sitting discussing 'that canter' or 'that view' in the evening over a glass of rose was wonderful. Both my girls (age 15 and 12) loved it - from catching the horses in the morning, grooming, taking up, riding, untacking and washing down at the end of the day to feeding and generally loving the horses - they were busy from the beginning to the end of the day. The food - all cooked by Louise and Anne was fantastic - and they catered for every dietary wish and food fad with flair. This was our second time in Asprieres - and definitely won't be our last. If you love horse riding - book early!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family