“One of the most memorable experiences of my life”

and 1 more site!
Cheetah Ridge Lodge
Swindon, United Kingdom
“One of the most memorable experiences of my life”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

As a South African living abroad, returning to the bush is a real treat. I have visited numerous game parks on numerous occassions - indeed, I have been to Nambiti (and Woodlands) a number of times before. This time though, with the experience of the Cheetah Project, the experience has to rank as a highlight in my life.

My kids got to hug a cheetah and carry a meerkat around like a baby. They even stroked a leopard (albeit through a fence). We had to shoo a cheetah off my breakfast chair so that I could eat my bacon before she did! And....I got to go walking with two cheetah on the hunt!! The Le Sueur Cheetah Project alone is definitely worth visiting Nambiti for, and staying at Woodlands (the home of Yakira and Zulu) means you get to experience something extra special.

Nambiti itself is wonderful - I always see everything (barring leopard - but that's just my bad luck whereever I go!). On one occassion, we had elephant on our left and rhino on our right.

Woodlands is a very comfortable lodge. Perfect for families and large groups - lots of space and a very homely feel. Kids spent many happy hours in the swimming pool (giraffe in the background of my photographs of them in the pool).
The food at Woodlands requires special mention - superb! The best I had during my entire visit to South Africa.

And a huge thank you to the Woodlands staff....a warm and friendly team who couldn't do enough for us - from rescuing our mud-caked trainers to playing with shongololos with my daughter. Thank you - we had a fabulous visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Viljoenskroon, Free State, South Africa
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Being South African, me and my wife decided to see the natural heritage of our beautiful country. We searched for a affordable big 5 game reserve, that had animals in their natural surroundings, and predators were free to roam, with no fencing or feeding or interference from humans.
We discovered Nambiti Game Reserve, and more specific " Woodlands Lodge". This beautiful colonial double storey colonial turn of the century, dolomite building has a charm of its own, and the massive 120year old fig tree gives it real charater. The old feeling with all the modern luxuries, at an unbeatable price!!! Desmond is an awesome game guide and driver, and his wife a great hostess, as are the rest of the staff.
Food is nicely presented but still fulling. Sitting outside at night and hearing lions...is a feeling you have to experience. We saw large herds of "plains game" and saw elephant, lion, cheetah, hippo, and even had a charge from a cape buffalo. The lions had made a kill the day before we arrived and to see them around their eland kill, felt so natural, as the reserve prides itself on leaving nature to run it's course.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dirk_Human
Travelers also viewed these Ladysmith hotels
Nambiti Hills Private Game Lodge
#8 of 17 in Ladysmith
Umzolozolo Lodge
Umzolozolo Lodge
#6 of 17 in Ladysmith

Been to Cheetah Ridge Lodge? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Cheetah Ridge Lodge

Property: Cheetah Ridge Lodge
Address: | Nambiti Private Game Reserve, Elandslaagte District, Ladysmith 3370, South Africa (Formerly Woodlands Big 5 Private Safari Lodge)
Location: South Africa > KwaZulu-Natal > Ladysmith
Bar / Lounge Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool
Ranked #4 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Ladysmith
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$
Cheetah Ridge Lodge Cheetah Ridge Big 5 Lodge is the ultimate safari destination and comes complete with a swimming pool, tennis court, boma and 10 luxurious free standing suites overlooking our private waterhole allowing guests to quietly observe African wildlife congregating from their front door. Cheetah Ridge is ideal for individuals, family vacations, photo safaris, game and bird safaris or conferencing Cheetah Ridge self-catering Bush Lodge Enjoy our affordable self-catering accommodation in the Cheetah Ridge Bush Lodge. Set apart from Cheetah Ridge Lodge, the Bush Lodge is a fantastic family get away destination and can accommodate 10 people comfortably. The private Boma is the perfect setting for the family to gather around the fire to chat about the days happenings while enjoying a traditional South African braai. The open garden allows guests the opportunity to do some mid-morning bird-watching while keeping a watchful eye for any passing wildlife. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and South African Hotels so you can book your Cheetah Ridge Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.