Nambiti Plains Private Game Reserve
$68
  • Pool
The Nest Hotel(Cathkin Park)
$111
$41
  • Restaurant
$136
  • Breakfast included
Cathedral Peak Hotel(Giants Castle Game Reserve)
$235
$209
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
Harrismith Inn(Harrismith)
TripAdvisor
Sierra Resort(Mooi River)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsunderfloor heatinghis teamgame reservesun loungersranger davehuge bedroomdrink waterwill def be backfantastic experiencebeautiful deckentire roomdelicious foodfantastic jobattention to detailromantic dinnerthree nightseach guest
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Do you like a beautiful stay, amazing safaris and good food. Go to this place an you still remember it!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Nambiti Plains lodge, Nambiti
What a wonderful experience. Right from the moment we were met at the car park for transfer, nothing but courtesy, kindness and consideration – both to the limited number of guests ( maximum 10) but also for the environment and, as one might expect, for the wildlife.
Although we met the manager later ( he had had a few days off ), we were delighted by the all Zulu staff. Our ranger, Geoffrey, was as good as you could wish for and as with all these rangers, fantastic eyesight to spot the game. As our first Safari experience, we didn’t quite know what to expect, but there are a total of 7 lodges on the reserve, with plans for a further 7 private villas. The only vehicles are the official lodge land rovers which meant that you rarely saw anyone else. The rangers did contact each other by radio if they found a viewing of interest, but had a rule of no more than 2 vehicles at the view at any time which kept the animals stress free, and gave the ‘voyeurs’ an intimate experience. There was plenty of game on the reserve, but the search for the animals each drive was a large part of the fun, and meant that it was all the more rewarding when the larger ones were found. The Cheetah population of 9 has been reduced to 2 by the lions, although they are getting some more, which had been brought up with lions, this month to release later. One of the many highlights was on our last morning, having spent 3 days trying for a good viewing of the Elephant, a herd came to the Lodge valley and drank from our swimming pool whilst we were on the terrace having breakfast ! Difficult to top that .
Our bedroom was huge, with mosquito netting ( they didn’t bother us ), another equally large room for the wash basin and massive bath in front of the veranda decking. Really beautiful and luxurious in the middle of the bush. A torch is provided, but it is not allowed to walk unaccompanied as the animals have access. The food was excellent from a very attentive chef. On two nights we were also rewarded with a perfectly clear night showing stars as never before. The other ranger, Howard, was very knowledgeable and pointed out many constellations and clusters. It was strange to see Orion standing on his head ! We are really pleased we chose this safari over the better known ones in the Cape as it gave a more ‘African’ feel, and would recommend it unconditionally.

Room Tip: only 5 suites
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We have just returned from Nambiti Plains Lodge. It was a pleasure to only have to drive 2.5 hours from Durban to find the big five. The last time we were at Nambiti was 4 years ago, what a difference 4 years makes to the maturity of the reserve. We saw much more game than I had expected and it was quality game. Our ranger Geoffrey was one of the best we have ever had, maybe he was lucky but every drive we found what he went out to look for. His tracking skills were excellent.

The lodges themselves are very spacious and very well maintained, the beds were greatas was the outdoor shower, one very small criticism, I felt that the rooms would have been more comfortable if they had some soft chairs to sit on. We went in summer and we were able to sit outside on very comfortable loungers, but in winter that would not be possible one would stay indoors.

The food was very good, we were a little disapointed that there was not an evening meal menu, we were never told until the evening what was being prepared for dinner. The chef was very good if the dish was not suitable she would very quickly offer an alternative.

The lodge manager Brent was a great guy fairly new to the lodge but a great asset. He was very informative about the whole area and recommended activities we could get involved with. One activity that I would recommend is the nearby Cheetah programme.

I was extreemly happy with our stay and had a great time. We have already booked to take our children, who will be out from the U.K. at easter. I am so much looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I couldn't be more satisfied than I am with my stay at the Springbok Lodge at the Nambiti Plains Game Reserve. I highly recommend your checking out this lodge should you be considering a visit. Here is the run down of my three night trip.

Arrived at the main gate where we checked in by a really nice and jovial young man who directed us to where we needed to park our car. You are not allowed to drive on the reserve, so the car was left under a covered carport with the other guests vehicles. Soon after parking, we were met by a ranger in one of the safari vehicles to be taken to the lodge. After a short 5 minute drive to the lodge (and already had seen some wildlife) we were greeted by a nice young lady with warm wipes for our hands and a glass of fresh lemonade. Our luggage was being delivered to our room while we checked in. During the check in process, we were asked what we wanted for dinner and had a choice between two appetizers, entrees, and deserts. All of which looked really good. We were then taken to our room/tent. Upon entering the luxury tent, I was impressed really by everything. The large sized king bed, the welcome note on the bed hand written to myself and my partner, the furnishings, large soaking tub, the snacks...everything was very clean and set up just perfectly. After a short nap, we were given a ride to the lodge for our first game drive at 4:00 o'clock. We met Dave, our ranger for our stay and boarded the safari vehicle (with the other guests) and set out for our first of two game drives per day. Dave was awesome, and his knowledge of not only the mammals, but the birds and flora was amazing. The man deserves a raise as he is a walking encyclopedia of information about all species of wildlife we encountered.

At some point during the drive, my camera slipped out of my pocket and fell to the road. Talk about disappointment...flying all of the way from Los Angeles (30 hours total) to lose the camera on the first evening. I mentioned it to Dave and he immediately put out a call to the other rangers to be on the lookout. That evening we say lions, all sorts of antelopes, wart hogs, wildebeests, and others. Of course with no camera, I couldn't capture any images. We later returned to our tent to freshen up before dinner (had about an hour and a half) and found that the staff had come in and filled the bathtub with warm water, lite with candlelight, sprinkled with rose petals, and had a bottle of champagne on ice. We enjoyed the bath, didn't drink the champagne since we had to go to dinner yet.

Dinner, all three of them during our stay, lunches, and breakfast were very well prepared and delicious. There was always plenty to drink, fresh coffee in the mornings (you needed it because the game drives started around 5am.)

Animals...animals...and more animals. This game reserve is one of the big five parks. We saw everything with the exception leopards (don't know if they had them there) and hyenas (which they chose to not have at the reserve). Other than that, there was really everything you could ask for. Of course luck in spotting some animals came into play as this is a 20,000 acre reserve and everything is quite spread out. Dave seemed to know everything about the wildlife, and truly enjoyed his job.

I can't say enough about the Springbok lodge. Luxury tents, the food, the ranger (Dave), the game drives...all very nice. One word though...you really are kind out out in nature...so be prepared for some things like spiders...so if you are freaked out by spiders beware! We had a huge spider in our tent scurrying around on the floor...but it didn't bother us, and we didn't bother it. Other than that, absolutely no complaints...and that is not a complaint I guess...just a comment. I can't attest to the other lodges on the property. Its funny because my partner and I had been talking about how happy we were staying at this lodge and both she and I commented about how nice it is to stay in a smaller place...only to find out later that the Springbok was the largest lodge...who would have known? It sure was intimate, and the entire time we were constantly asked if everything was alright...which we always replied....yes, just perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for room 16, it is up on the hill with a nice view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gizmo12312
Reviewed March 6, 2011

This was my first safari adventure, and it exceeded my expecations. I booked Nambiti, purely because of location as we were going on to do the Zulu battlefields after our 3 nights at Nambiti, and it ended up being the best part of our 14 nights in South Africa because of the "total experience" it offered.

We had Howard as our guide ranger and our game drives with him were amazing. We saw elephants, lions and cubs, cheetahs, rhino's, hippapotamus, beautiful graceful giraffes, impala, springbok, wildebeests, water buffalo, kudu, warthogs, zebra, to name but a few and all up close enough to make my heart beat a little faster - especially when one of the elephants decided we had gotten too close to his family and decide to charge us to make us go away!! Having said that, Howard was in complete control so this was not a problem :-)

The accomodation is very private and spacious, with the biggest bed I have ever slept in (7ft wide?) perfect for afternoon siestas. The accomodation was a good mix of rustic, yet charming with quality decor and furnishings. We slept with the blinds up so we could see the sunrise in the morning through our totally private floor to ceiling glass doors, prior to our 6am game drive. Breakfast was always out on the terrace under a shaded tree, and dinners were served on beautifully laid tables with home baked bread etc.

From the breakfast terrace, overlooking the pool and waterhole, we saw giraffe, impala and warthogs as well as wonderful and colourful bird wildlife.

Food at Nambiti Plains Lodge was excellent - dinner consisted of : fillet of beef, rack of lamb, ostrich steaks, lovely appetisers and yummy desserts. Lunch and breakfast was also a quality offering. Staff were friendly and attentive. Memory (sp?) was our chef and she was delightful as well as being a wonderful chef.

As per the title, our 3 nights here really were the highlight of our trip to South Africa and I would not hesitate in recommending Nambiti as an excellent and complete safari experience.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple