“Superb, friendly & very conveniently located for whole of Orkney mainland”

The INN Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 St. Mary's B&B and Inns
Outer London
“Superb, friendly & very conveniently located for whole of Orkney mainland”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Wonderful room with views over the small beach opposite. Comfortable bed, spotless throughout, modern decor with lovely breafast room / guest sitting room. Conveniently located in the "middle". Very friendly, helpful owner. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank singleparentfamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We booked this last minute through the tourist information centre in Kirkwall. The house is easy to miss from the road but it's absolutely lovely. The room was very comfortable and perfectly clean. There is a lot of attention to detail both in the decor of the house and rooms but also from a practical point of view - lovely touches such as great selection of small samples of shampoo, soap and body lotions made in the isles. The owners and the friend who helps out are extremely friendly and very welcoming. There are lovely views from the breakfast lounge/sitting room and a nice short trail to follow on an evening walk. It's a great location for exploring the East Mainland and South Ronaldsay, but not too far from Kirkwall and the Heart of neolithic Orkney so it's ideal for anyone not wanting to stay in Kirkwall. There are not many facilities in the village itself: one restaurant/bar about a 15min walk away (other places you'd need to drive to) so if you want a more lively village, this is not for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GlasgowPat42
Lydbrook,United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had originally wanted to stay in Kirkwall as we had a ferry to catch for Westray the next morning, however after trying a few places with no success decided to look further afield. Having then done an availability search it came up with The INN. It looks a bit dour on the outside but the interior shots looked promising and so it turned out.....though it does look a lot nicer in reality.

Our room was on the first floor with a lovely view over St Mary's Bay, Scapa Flow and the Churchill barriers. The room was light and clean with a lovely en-suite and the best shower I've ever had. It was like being under a waterfall. The hotel itself is only 10 mins from Kirkwall and as Orkney Mainland isn't too big you can easily use it to tour all round the island. We didn't use the wifi much but had no trouble with the signal when we did.

The highlight of our one night stay was the short eared owl we saw from the car park whilst I was putting the suitcases in the car. It was only 75 yds away but had drifted away by the time I'd grabbed my camera.

To finish the review I suppose I'd best mention the Breakfast. A lot has been said of the "Huge", "gigantic", "fantastic" offering and to be honest I was prepared to be under-whelmed. In reality I have to say that everything everyone has said is true. Normally it's one sausage, one rasher of bacon and an egg plus other stuff. At the Inn it's three sausages, three rashers and two eggs.......though it may have been four rashers plus extras like hash browns? If I had one complaint it was there weren't enough onions but I'm sure that would have been catered for if we'd stayed for more than one night.

All in all we had a fantastic stay and would highly recommend staying at The Inn if you're looking for a B&B on Orkney. Our only regret was only having one night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrotherWolf
Cornwal Uk
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is a fantastic B & B.Great location,good views of Scapa flow and east orkney.Rooms very bright and airy in a competly renovated former Inn.the accomadtion is 5 star and everything you could need.Breakfast was best we have had with a great selection freshly cooked to order.couldn't fault anything.

1 Thank sroden
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights where I had a large double onsuite room just to myself. Firstly the house has a scenic spot about 10 minutes drive south from Kirkwall. The road is rather quiet, especially at night.

As soon as I arrived I was made to feel welcome by Shona who first showed me the very comfortable and large guest lounge before taking me up to my room. Everything was just perfect, the decor, the comfort of the room and the bed. Everything in this house is spotless and nothing is too much trouble for Shona. And you get a huge breakfast with a choice of items.

This is a fairly short review because there are no negative comments at all, unusually for me because I tend to be fairly critical. In short, I highly recommend that you stay here. You will not be disappointed, and like myself, you will want to return again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank dave9337
Polmont, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We had a fantastic stay at The Inn. Shona and Mike are first class hosts, very welcoming and nothing is too much bother for them. We arrived at 10 a.m. stopped off to ask if we could leave our luggage at that time and were delighted to be told that our room was ready and we could make use of it right away. The room was beautiful, lovely comfortable bed, the whole room from the cups to the ensuite was squeaky clean, brilliant! The breakfast is something else, if you are on any kind of weight loss diet this isn't for you! Shona does not serve any small portions. We would absolutely have no hesitation in recommending this guest house it really is exceptional, you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Don't think there is a bad room in this guest house!