Tripadvisor
Janjanbureh
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews mark life reviewer culture thrill opportunities privilege
Selected filters
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I was checking out our next holiday and noticed Hidden Gambia now have a direct link into Trip Advisor. A very brave and extremely honest approach.
I thought I had better add my comments.
We found Bird Safari Camp a haven of sanity and good fun. A massive difference from the hassle and difficulties people can experience at the coast.
We met people from Belgium, Netherlands, U.S.A., Oz, Wales, Scotland, Spain, Canada, The Home Counties, and Newcastle, You hang about in this place and the World comes to you. We were able to mix with some very interesting people. One morning two very posh yachts moored off the jetty. The owners joined us for dinner and a musical evening of dance and drums. They were about to cross the Atlantic to Brazil.
You never get bored, there is so much of interest. Visit Onsman who is establishing a garden for fruit/veg next door. A very interesting man who is trying to reverse the "leave the land" trend. The camp supplies him with water pumped by solar energy, good neighbours. Here eco means what it says.
The ever improving infrastructure can be observed on the “Flickr” photography site. Just type in Bird Safari Camp. If you want to understand more about these societies read, “Africa, Altered States, Ordinary Miracles”, by Richard Dowden. This certainly opened our eyes to how this society functions and explained a lot of our experiences.
Good food, friendly helpful staff, comfortable beds, swimming pool, exotic birds, hippos, sunshine. What more can you ask for? Go for it1

Date of stay: January 2009
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank jilr
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My husband and I travelled to Bird Safari Camp in January, and were not really sure what to expect. We are not avid bird watchers, but were very keen to experience a side of Gambia away from the tourist areas, and also to see some hippos. We were certainly not expecting to have such a wonderful time, we could not bear to leave when our week was up!

We travelled from Fajara by ferry, then drove the rest of the way, and were very dust-ridden and bedraggled by the time we arrived. We were introduced to Mark, the wonderful owner, and Binta and Sam, the managers, who attended to our every need during our stay. After being shown to our tent (with its own ensuite), we were able to relax, have a swim and begin to appreciate our surroundings.

I cannot describe all the wonderful experiences we had whilst at Bird Safari, however I will attempt to explain why this trip was so special to us. The other guests were lovely, and we all formed a close bond as we shared our travel experiences over wine and the incredible meals Binta and Sam would serve for us. My husband is obsessed with fishing, so was thrilled to be taken on numerous fishing trips by Mark, including a twilight river cruise by which we had a chance to admire the beautiful scenery.

One day, I accompanied Binta on a trip to the local markets to purchase food for the meals and then assist her in the preparation once we were back at the camp. This was so special to me, to learn traditional Gambian dishes and also have a chance to connect with all the local schoolchildren whilst at the market.

Other highlights were certainly the trip down the river where we discovered a family of hippos, or the all day trip we did where we were able to see chimps, crocs and all the other beautiful wildlife. The food was fantastic, the scenery was enchanting, the staff were by far the most gracious people we have ever had the privilege to meet. We even had a traditional Cora player come from the village to play for us during dinner one evening. While we danced, he sang a variety of songs, the lyrics of which contained the stories of each guest he had spoken to that evening.

I cannot adequately describe how my trip to Bird Safari Camp affected me. We have remained altered (for the better) for having been able to experience the pure, unadulterated wonder which is to be found in this humble place. I would be thrilled to have the opportunity to return there one day, and would highly, highly recommend it to anybody who may be considering the journey.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheGleaves
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My sisters & stayed here in January 2008 for 3 days & 2 nights. It was a real find & a memorable part of our trip to The Gambia.
Bird Safari Camp offers a unique holiday experience with a truly African flavour.
Bird Safari Camp tucked away in a tranquil setting on the edge of the Gambia River at Janjangbureh is an ideal holiday retreat. It offers a unique Gambian experience that will both tantalise & relax you.
Stay in a traditional African thatched roof hut or luxury tent house on the bank of the river. Cruise the river & watch the hippos wallowing in the shallows, monkeys playing in the trees & the most fabulous birdlife absolutely everyhwere.
Let the friendly staff at Bird Safari Camp create a memorable holiday experience for you. Enjoy a delicious freshly cooked meal, a glass of wine at the bar, an informative bird watching trip with experienced & knowledgeable guide, a boat trip on the river, or simply laze by the pool. The choice is yours.

Date of stay: January 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank ozziechick
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I have lived in Gambia for 3 years and have travelled to Janjangbureh many times, specifically to stay at Bird Safari Camp and experience the beautiful surrounds of the Gambian river. The serenity and utter peacefulness of the place leaves the coast for dead. Don't come here if you want luxury and the trappings of home but DO come over you want to see proper africa and not just a hotel room and sun loungers. The wildlife is amazing - guaranteed hippos during the fantastic boat trip from Kuntaur on the 2-story pirogue, the 'lady hippo'. Even for an unexperienced bird watcher, the sight of the herons and kingfishers for the entire journey is wonderful to see. The camp itself is set in beautiful surrounds. The tents are basic but incorporate a shower and toilet and are situated on the river so you can wake up to the birds in the morning (there are also huts available). The staff are wonderful, the food plentiful and filling and there is a swimming pool for cooling down during the day. I have thoroughly enjoyed every trip I have made to the camp - making it hard to leave to come back to the bustle of the coast. There is a website too for organising trips from the coast - so you can avoid the horrendous hassle of the banjul-barra ferry: www.hiddengambia.com. Check it out.

Date of stay: April 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank jessica_gambia
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I spent several days at Bird Safari Camp. What a wonderful experience of life in the Gambia. We were able to experience the thrill of residing in a round hut. on our walks through the bush to the river we tooks some colourful photos of the native flora. Our day trip on the boat was relaxing, entertaining,a chance to see the hippos bathing in the river and monkeys in the wild.
The food was traditional and wholesome with fresh bread baked daily- what a treat!!!
Our host, Mark, looked after us and made us feel special. My compliments to the other staff who were friendly and helpful which contributed to the overall enjoyment of our experience

• Trip type: Traveled with friends