“Pleasant chiringito near Finca Courtesin Beach club”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Beach Club Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 32 Restaurants in Casares
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasant chiringito near Finca Courtesin Beach club”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Lovely location, friendly staff food ordinary and a bit pricy for quality. Good sardines but tough calamares. Parkin nearby

Visited September 2013

London
“Ruined birthday”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Today was my birthday. I drove an hour or so from outside Marbella to have my birthday lunch with my boyfriend at Finca Cortesin (at the casual poolside restaurant), as this was what was open. The table was booked by the concierge service Mr & Mrs Smith, as I'm a gold member with them (at £400 a year, the kind of clientele this hotel should be trying to attract).

We had a nice meal, which came to around €110 without wine. When the bill came and we explained we weren't guests, the waitresses' face completely changed and she became offhand. We had 45 minutes to kill before driving to the airport and thought we would have another drink. As we had left the table, my boyfriend didn't want there to be any misunderstanding so he nicely asked reception whether we could sit by the poolside. They came after him like the elitists they are. They wanted to say no but didn't have any authority, so called a manager who requested a fee of €64. My boyfriend explained that it was my birthday, that we had just finished lunch and would be there less than an hour, and that we wouldn't actually be going IN the pool. They refused again to allow us to have another drink unless we paid €64 to sit there.

No doubt the hotel will respond that they needed to prioritise their guests. This was a Monday in low season, there were 5 people in the restaurant and the same around the pool. We couldn't think we would be inconveniencing anyone. We've stayed in our fair share of grand hotels all over the world and never experienced such a money-grabbing, elitist, condescending attitude, which is frankly unfashionable. We actually felt the staff went out of their way to enforce some kind of imaginary rule to humiliate us.

We are well-dressed, professional people. Or perhaps this made them think they could squeeze more money out of us? Regardless, the experience was very upsetting and completely ruined what was supposed to be my birthday treat. We left sadly and went to the airport early. We wish we had never set foot in the place.

Maybe also worth mentioning that this resort is in the middle of ugly industrial developments on the surrounding hills. Be warned.