“Spectacular Perfection!!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Casares
London, United Kingdom
“Spectacular Perfection!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I keep coming back to this hotel as it is perfect in every way!!! We have stayed here many times and will continue to due so...it the bleakness of the financial crisis in Spain, this hotel is a guiding light...everything about this hotel from the rooms to the service to the golf course etc etc is amazing...we think it is Europe's Number 1 hotel at the moment which has been achieved through hard work and a very dedicated Team of professionals!!!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a room facing the sea...all the rooms are wonderful but these are a littl...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

It could be a beautiful hotel, and relaxing stay, but I found it too snobbish, as felt as if we were being policed constantly.
I was initially impressed by the hotel, but the way they handled an incident there was ridiculous.

I flew over to stay there with a couple of my friends, and during our stay we decided to take advantage of the beautiful location and stunning gardens and take a few holiday photos while we were there. Our friends are interested in photography, and were mainly interested in portraits, but some of the snaps were of me and a friend in our bikinis near the pool and in the walkways back to the hotel.

Earlier that day at Lunch, one of my friends had called out to the other, to attract their attention, much to the offence of a snobbish middle aged woman nearby, who took the opportunity to cause trouble and complain about us taking photos of our holiday to the staff.

We were approached by a member of staff who told us we were not allowed to take holiday photographs on the property (other than in our room), and that if we were wearing swimwear, we were not allowed to walk from the pool to our rooms in in, unless covering ourselves with a robe.

After abiding by this ridiculous and positively medieval rule, we returned to my friends' room, only to be hounded a further times regarding the photography, including a letter which told us 'erotic photography is forbidden', when our pictures were nothing of the sort and hurting no one!

The staff members mentioned that this was in order not to insult the German lady who had complained, because she was a 'regular customer', which is utter snobbery, and borderline discrimination.

We found the staff tend to have a very snobbish manner about them with regards to guests, and the food is overpriced and overrated.

Pros- Nice location.
Good gym and pools
Comfortable rooms.

Cons-

Snobbish attitude such as strict dress codes even when using the walkways within the hotel such as swimwear and the hotel book says "In the public areas of the hotel men are not allowed to wear shorts after 9.00pm"- surely the whole point of coming on holiday is to relax and when you are paying a lot for the rooms and service, you should be able to wear what you fins comfortable within the hotel?
I felt very persecuted, they have a huge amount of rules at to what you can and can't wear in certain places at certain times and what ages of children can't use certain areas of the hotel, these miserable and downright ridiculous rules ruined the holiday.

Expensive

Bad service at times and stupid rules- had to ask repeatedly at breakfast and lunch for simple things like drinks.

Food is not really worth the price you pay for it.

Anti-children.

Limited menus, which is all fancy food and no variety for people of different tastes. At the Schilo restaurant I could find nothing I wanted to eat as the descriptions were confusing and the menu contained mainly only Japanese food and raw fish, despite boasting 'asian AND arabic influences in the food'

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank LizzieG665
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I visited here for the day for my daughters 21st Birthday treat, and what a treat we had!

I arranged the day through Barbara at the spa who was very helpful and answered all my questions before our visit via email and booked a facial for my daughter. To visit as a day guest it costs €64 each, however it is half price if you book a spa treatment.

On arrival you are given a locker with robe, slippers etc, and then you are free to use and do whatever you want. It is wonderfully clean and well run, and the architecture in and outside is fantastic. We made full use of all the facilities, from the gym, in and outside pools, sauna, steam room, and the ice cave, wow that's cold!

The pool guy helps you choose your sun chair and sets it up with towels, and mid morning fruit kebabs were bought round and in the afternoon fruit smoothies. It seemed like you were not encouraged to eat and drink around the pool, but the pool restaurant where we had lunch was very good, albeit it fairly pricey.

My daughter enjoyed a facial, again fairly expensive but a nice treat.

We stayed until early evening, but think it closes at 9pm. We had a truly relaxing time and will definitely return!

Stayed May 2012
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Last Monday it was my birthday, and as I was staying outside of Marbella, I chose to have a special birthday lunch at Finca Cortesin. I am a Mr & Mrs Smith Gold Member, and their concierge called ahead for us to book a table at the restaurant by the pool.

We had a nice meal, but when we paid the €110 bill and the waitress discovered we were not staying at the hotel, her face dropped. We had 45 mins before we needed to set off for the airport, so we respectfully asked reception whether we could have another drink at the pool bar.

The staff seemed very reluctant, and said that it would be a €64 fee EACH. My boyfriend explained that we had just finished our meal, that it was my birthday, and that we would be leaving in 45 minutes, and even explained that we wouldn't actually be going IN the pool. The woman on reception called a manager (perhaps even you), and again told us that we needed to pay €64 to have another drink, or leave.

We were incredibly surprised and bewildered that the hotel could be so rude. It completely ruined my birthday meal. We left sadly and drove to the airport early.

I feel that this is an outdated, unfashionable attitude. I travel constantly as I work in the in the film industry, and have never experienced having to pay €64 to have a drink at a table where I have just had a meal, not even in Cannes or Monaco. Added to which, the pool area was nearly empty, with 5 people around it! It was a Monday in off-season.

Obviously the hotel's first priority must be to their guests, but we simply cannot understand how this prohibitive policy and unwelcoming behaviour from their staff was warranted, especially considering the hotel's location in view of industrial developments on the surrounding hills.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Angel2001
FincaCortesin, Director General at Finca Cortesin Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

I understand your frustration and I hope you can also consider our ongoing efforts to rectify this incident. Yes, we take full responsibility for the way in which
you were treated by our staff and for not being more flexible and understanding with you last Monday. We have tackled this issue with our staff and will make sure that it will
not happen again, not to you, and not to any other guest.

We appreciate and value our relationship with Mr. and Mrs. Smith and have also been in contact with them regarding the unfortunate experience you had. We have had a long standing relationship with Mr. and Mrs. Smith since the very beginning our Hotel´s existence and continue to receive positive feedback from the guests who have visited us on their behalf.

I hope you can accept that our mistakes have been reprimanded and that our continued apologies are heard and forgiven.

René Zimmer
Finca Cortesin Hotel & Spa
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed here in July 2011.
We wanted a beautiful, comfortable, peaceful hotel with a good pool and spa - we got it at Finca Cortesin!
The décor is very tasteful, the rooms are spacious (we had a pool suite), the service is attentive and the restaurants are very good.
The spa area is nice but the treatments weren't quite 100%
The location of the hotel means you have to take a taxi to get anywhere, my only real criticism.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mads4
Dunmow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

One of the best vacation hotels in the world. Everything - the beautiful new building, the rooms (huge), the stsaff, the food, the pools and gym - couldn't be better.

Only downside is that it is in a rather unattractive locale.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank PhilipDunmow
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Had a fairly "high-end" boys' golf trip and based ourselves at Finca Cortesin. WIshed I had come here with my better half instead - it's that kind of a place, better suited to hushed exchanges of romance rather than raucous cigar and cognac fuelled evenings. The fact that we were tolerated is testament to the hospitality and service-mindedness of the place. The setting is superb, with views of mountains to the north and Mediterranean to the south. The building and rooms are airy and classy. Breakfast superb and unhurried (served 7am to 11am). And the golf course and facilities amongst best in area if not all of Spain. Thanks in particular to Joanna, Maria, and rest of team for a memorable stay. A place to come back to and a destination in itself.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Casares
Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella
Hotel Fuerte Estepona
#4 of 36 in Estepona
Marriott's Playa Andaluza
Villa Padierna Palace Hotel

Been to Finca Cortesin Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!