“A normal hotel for a good night sleep in Sibu!”
Review of Tanahmas Hotel

Tanahmas Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sibu
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Generally an old hotel but well kept & looked refurbished. Clean room with all basic things in place. Nothing interesting at surrounding maybe we arrived at night & we left next morning! Just a good place to spend a night in Sibu!

• Stayed: April 2012
There are newer reviews for Tanahmas Hotel

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stayed there recently. However, I have been there numerous times and most of the time, for between 2-4 nights per stay as I attend to business in Sibu.

The hotel is clean and the staff friendly and helpful. The facilities are basic, not much of a swimming pool or gym. It however, has a decent karaoke and coffeehouse that seems to be packed with locals especially near supper time. The channels on the TV is something you will have to live with unless you like chinese channels. They do have BBC news, Channel News Asia and 2 sports channels, the rest are chinese, indonesian, malaysian, japanese and indian channels. There are some rooms with DVD players but they cost a bit more. Wifi is free, a very good thing.

The breakfast is very simple, toast, eggs, fruits, basic cereals like cornflakes, local fare, congee and coffee and tea. Nothing to shout about.

But what I truly recommend about this hotel is it's location (there is a night market near the hotel every night), cleanliness and friendliness. Can't ask for more in a small developing town like Sibu which does not have any of the major hotel chains but rather small independent hotels and inns.

Room Tip: Get rooms facing the river. Better view. The flipside faces another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2012

The hotel is situated in the centre of Sibu Town, near the river side and central market. I found it convenient as all the shops were within walking distance. The only problem I faced was the limited parking in front of the hotel. It seems that this is the place to park if you wanted to hang out in Sibu!

Most will not be impressed with the Hotel facade. The lobby was presentable but not flash. The service staff was friendly and the check-in process was smooth. The suite was spacious and newly refurbished with all the amenities - flat screen TVs, bath tub, double sinks. WIFI is FREE!! The breakfast was passable.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Came to Sibu for a wedding, and originally it had been suggested we stay in another hotel in Sibu (currently #1 onTripadvisor for Sibu) - the cost would be min 240myr per night. Considering we were going to be staying in KL for about 170myr in a "club room" and we were on a rather tight budget this seemed a bit expensive. The peoples who's wedding we were attending ended up booking us into this hotel for 150myr per night (rate without breakfast). The hotel apparently has just been renovated, and it shows! The lobby is pleasant enough, with the rooms being a fantastic size. Free wifi and good sized bathrooms with a good shower. The location is right in the heart of Sibu so there are many coffee shops near by, however the food at the associated restaurant Peppers was very reasonable for the price paid. Overall, I would highly reccomend if you are ever in Sibu.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank the_kiwiroamer
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I feel a bit dissapointed when I arrive the main door of the hotel because it was looking a bit old. The lobby was just so so to me too. Anyway when I was checked in to my room, I was very surprise and impressed with the room.

The room was newly refurbished, TV was Flat screen, room was spacious and Wifi is free. The breaskfast selection was good too.

The location was nearby to riverside and centre market of Sibu where traveller get to see some local stuffs at the market. It was closed to the oldest Chinese Temple in Sibu too.

The only downside about the hotel was they do not have a kids pool if you are travelling with young kids.

Anyway, it was a comfort stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Tuxannie
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I had a pleasant surprised when I walked into this hotel (after nearly 2 years as I have patronized other more newer hotel in Sibu) to find myself standing in their newly renovated lobby. The check-in was smooth and when I entered the room, I was even more amazed at the transformation the room had undertaken. It looked like the owners of the hotel had spared no expense in making this hotel into one of the better hotel in Sibu.

The hotel is fully WIFI (including the room which have very strong signal) and it is free. The F&B outlets were good. Several observation which I would highlight to the management of the hotel:

(1) Smoke detectors should be installed in all the toilets in the funnction rooms and lobby to prevent people from smoking in the toilet. The stale smoke is very annoying for us who treasure our health;

(2) Housekeeping should be better train to pay attention to the notices hang at the door. I my case, I had hang a "Do Not Disturb" sign at the door and around 10am despite the sign, the housekeeping open my room door with their master electronic card whilst I was in the mist of dressing. I find this a very unprofessional behavior of the housekeeping staff; and

(3) Given the fact that the hotel now (in my opinion) is one of the best in Sibu, the television channel selection needs an immediate improvement. For a hotel rated 3-Stars, I was no able even to find an English movie channel. Apart from the local channel, they have another channel tuned to the Japanese program (NHK), whilst another two were on ChannelAsia and BBC. There was an ESPN and MTV channels. Management please look into the matter.

Overall the hotel is in a nice location with plenty of local food and fruits for you to sample surrounding the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Eddie30
Reviewed September 25, 2011

this hotel really impress me....thumbs up....my friend recommend me to stay here...the hotel is small from outside...but i dont bother about that...as long the room is spacious, free wifi, and etc..

when i check in ito the room...there is no minibar...then i call receptionist...within 10 minutes...all settle...

i will recommend this hotel to my friends whoever visit sibu next time//

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business