“Beautiful setting” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Petite-Ile
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Beautiful setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the resort in August 2012. Our room was large and comfy, with all the necessary amentities, including free wi-fi all over the huge property.
The pool was gorgous, with enough loungers for the guests and even 2 exercise machines in the water. We were surprised that it was warm enough to swim in, considering it was winter.
Breakfast was very good, with a nice selection of foodstuffs. Language was a bit of a problem, as we don't speak French and the staff very little English, so saying we wanted our coffee later meant we'd get a latte (jug of hot frothed milk). This has happened in other countries so we just laughed if off.
The beach was a bit of a walk to get to although the hotel does have shuttle buses a few times a day. After walking there and seeing that the beach was a bit on the rough side, we chose to rather use the pool at the hotel.
We ate in the restaurant on 2 occassions, the food was delicious but a bit on the pricey side. We tried eating out one night and struggled to find anything open close by. Eventually settled for a pizza in what looked like someone's home.
The resort is well situated for exploring the area, as nothing is too far away. We visited Cilaos for the day and it was a very pleasant trip, which included seeing St Pierre.
I would recommend staying there but a car is necessary if you want to do more than lie at the pool.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea facing room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smurf59
HOTELSCO, Directeur général at Palm Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments, and for posting your positive feedback onto TripAdvisor.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Best Wishes,
Patrice PETA - Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a large 4 star hotel with all the concomitant facilities e.g two pools, two restaurants. The staff were friendly but totally competent. This is not a beach hotel although there was a beach about 400 yards down a steep hill. Then food was adequate but very over-priced. Room was very comfortable as expected in a 4 star establishment. The pools very quite cold (in early May). This is a good access point for a volcano trip

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AncientmarinerUk
HOTELSCO, Directeur général at Palm Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to right this review and I hope you will be joining us again soon.
Kindest regards
Patrice PETA - Manager.
Morro Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

if you are looking for a great place in reunion island, stay at palm hotel&spa.Best hotel in the south of reunion island. it did even beat the 5 star hotel on the island!great amenities! great commodations!
this is definetely a stunning place, so welcoming! room's are elegant & very comfortable! we had everyday fresh flowers on our bed! the food is excellent! the restaurant manager is very nice!! the front desk staff are so sweet! we showed up early, they gave us a room instead of making us wait.they allowed us to check in early "no charge"!the wifi & parking are free , you can't ask for more.The infinity pool is gorgeous!!!this is truly an amazing hotel, overlooking the ocean!so breathtaking!!!THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH MR.PETA"HOTEL MANAGER" you AND YOUR STAFF ALWAYS MADE US FEEL WELCOME.would definetely recommend this hotel.IT'S SIMPLY UNIUE.I SPEND ALMOST 5 MONTHS A YEAR IN HOTELS, BELIEVE ME THIS ONE HAVE IT ALL.Thank you front desk staff.you're the best!!!!love you all.chacha/Morocco/usa

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SosoLauren
Many thanks for your great feedback following your recent stay with us. I was really delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and our service and facilities.
I have passed on your kind words to my brilliant team here at the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us, and please give my sincere regards to Morocco...
Kindest regards
Patrice PETA, Manager.
Koh Samui
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

We had the opportunity to stay at the Palm right after the race La Diagonale des Fous in October 2011. A little fragile and super tired this was the best place to stay after such a race on the island of La Reunion. Excellent staff throughout the resort & very good young chef in the kitchen. We really enjoyed the eating every single dish. Thanks to all the team management & chef for this great stay! Being a hotelier, I know how much it takes to build a good place & name. Well done to you all!

See you next year!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex-Andries
HOTELSCO, Directeur général at Palm Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
Dear Sir, Thank you for staying at the Palm Hotel & Spa and even more for taking time to share your kind feedback which is overall so positive. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.
Kind Regards
Patrice PETA - Manager
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

We stayed only one night in this hotel and that is the one thing I regret from La Réunion. This is truely an amazing hotel and you have to take your time to enjoy it.

The location is great: at the end of a long driveway and overlooking the ocean. It seems that in the right season you see the whales passing by from the terrace or from the magnificent infinity pool. There is also a spa and lots of areas to relax, including a daily campfire.

The resort is full of... palm trees, all with the name of the variety indicated.

The staff is very helpfull. The management speaks English as well; I'm not sure if the staff does because we adressed them in French.

We had a standard room. No view but the room was huge, every clean and very stylishly decorated. It can be a bit of a hassle to walk back to your room after dark. There are (very stylish) lights but not everywhere.

The buffet supper was great and so was the breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

We spent two nights at the Palm Hotel last October. I usually do not like very much this kind of resorts, but we were coming from a fairly tiring hiking tour across the island, and decided to have a more relaxing time at the end of our holiday. It proved to be a good decision, and we were happy with the hotel. Our standard (Superior) room and the bathroom were very clean and comfortable. We enjoyed our time at the swimming pool and bar overlooking the ocean; the snacks and cocktails at the bar were very good, and the service was attentive and of high standard. The buffet breakfast was really good, with a large variety of fresh and good-quality products (and very good service). We had dinner at the onsite restaurant on both evenings: à la carte dishes were generally good, although overpriced, while the quality of the evening buffet was rather disappointing (we had been really lucky in our choice of restaurants during our trip, and developed high expectations for good Creole cuisine). The staff at the Spa were very kind, the services ok; I have been in better establishments that costed the same, but this Spa is also popular with locals, so I guess it is the best in the area. When we arrived, I had been afraid the Palm would be the classic resort that serves out to tourists the expensive impression of an exotic holiday (I experienced this in the past in two supposed top places and really hated it), but this hotel has good standards.

Having said that, I have to admit we had some minor annoyances.
- It is clear not all rooms could have a front-row view over Grand'Anse (especially in the "humble" Superior category), but it is a bit annoying to be closer to a noisy main road than to the ocean.
- The path leading from the hotel to the beach and used mainly by the guests is in a really bad shape. There is a shuttle service three times a day, and I understand the Palm doesn't own that area, but I wonder the bureaucracy involved is such that the hotel cannot take care of a bit of maintenance (a few more wooden boards to create steps in some rough points, for example).
- We got in the bathroom only a shower towel and a very small hand towel per person. It is perfectly fine with me to re-use towels for several days, but I would have appreciated to find an additional middle-size one, as in most hotels, fitting the idea of luxury the Palm tries to suggest (and bills for).
- On our last evening, one of the towels was taken away and not replaced by the room service personnel. We also needed some toiletries for the morning after, so I called the reception and was told that it was too late. Next morning I went looking for the service staff while they were cleaning another room and asked for what I needed to take shower. Not a big issue, of course, but quite distant from the discrete, efficient, rock-solid service one usually finds in hotels in this price category.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EsseVienna_Austria
Amsterdam, NL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I'm in 2 minds about this place. Forgetting all that I am about to write further to this...it looks super classy, the restaurant, bar, and pools areas are stunning (overlooking the beautiful Indian Ocean), the service is of an extremely high standard, with many multilingual staff, the breakfast was yum! But for all of the above, I was left somewhat disappointed with the place, and am unlikely to stay for a 2nd time...

1-This is a new place, purpose built...so why only the (super expensive) lodges have sea views is beyond my understanding. We selected an already expensive Deluxe room (€300 per night). The entire complex sits overlooking the beautiful Grand Anse and Indian Ocean - yet none of their Deluxe rooms actually have a view, nor do their Junior Suites for that matter (not to mention the standard Superiors). I've travelled a lot, and as standard: higher room grade+higher price=views to match. I appreciate that their bar and pools overlook the ocean, and emphasis on this must have outweighed the room views. But when paying €300 per night, I want ocean, I want sunset...from my balcony or veranda.
2-Again in line with the "purpose built" train of thought: after being checked in, we were walked back out of the reception area, and up the drive, to reach the pathway entrance to the guest room area. It feels like we had to leave the resort, in a way. OK, it wasn't up the drive, out of the car park and down the road, but still...for the price being paid, it sure felt like being on the outside (*cough* for €300 per night).

I had other annoyances too.

The road leading to the resort is pitch black at night...which we discovered when we ventured to a nearby creole restaurant (you MUST go eat there, 100% authentic creole home cooking...Le Badamier). Luckily we had a torch which we brought along on our 2nd evening out.

My first shower of the evening - I had to hand hold the shower head because there was no fixture to attach it to. It was fixed when we returned from our adventures outside during the day, but, yes...these things should be noticed and taken care of before guests check in. And another though, considering it was a Deluxe room...and the bathroom was pretty big...why don't they build proper stand up showers, separate to the bath? A bit cheap in my opinion, those hose and shower heads over the bath type showers.

No coffee creamer in room, a minibar with soft drinks only, mandatory Mr & Mrs titles on their check in form (were we the first gay couple to have visited Palm Hotel...?), a patched up hole in the bathtub.

I'm not a snob. I love a bit of luxury as much as I love sleeping in a humble dorm or gite in the mountains. But high prices demand high expectations. Hats off to the Reunionaisse Family who opened Palm Hotel, it is most definitely a one of a kind operation in Reunion - but there are some fundamental issues, as well as some which they can easily fix.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AndyMaxx
, Directeur général at Palm Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear Sir,

Firstly we are extremely disappointed that your stay in our hotel, and especially its location between ocean and mountain, did not meet your expectations and for that we apologize.
Your feedback is extremely important for us and we are pleased that you did enjoy the quality of service we offer.
We hope to have the occasion to welcome you again soon and remain at your disposal.
Yours sincerely,

Patrice Peta
Hotel manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petite-Ile
Blue Margouillat Seaview Hotel
#2 of 13 in Saint-Pierre
Villa Morgane
Villa Morgane
#6 of 13 in Saint-Pierre

Been to Palm Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!