“A gem on the West coast”
Review of ah! Guest House

ah! Guest House
Ranked #2 of 19 Paternoster B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I was taken to Ah for a night with astounding results. Witnessing the cooking of our truly remarkable meal was one for the books. The hosts Arnold and Annelise were the epitome of excellence. Would visit again in an instant…but next time for much longer (I definitely want some more of those meals)
The accommodation was delightful, I especially loved my bathroom with the polished cement floors……

Room Tip: I stayed in the blue room….just loved the rain shower and polished cement floors
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The only disadvantage of reviewing Ah! is that even more people will find out about it thus making it more difficult to book one of its five rooms. That said it is one of the best guest houses we have stayed in if not the best. The welcome from Arnold & Annalise is excellent, the room we had was elegant large and beautifully decorated including the rusted enamel bedside light shades. Breakfast was different and delicious (enough said if you want to know more book a room)
We dined at Arnold's chefs table on our second night. It put the other food we ate in paternoster in the shade. The location is right on the ocean front with great views from the 1st floor terrace.
Yes I think we will be back next year.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I will always go back! Annalise and Arnold make sure that this is a stay that you will remember.
Rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated.
View from balcony is breathtaking.
About the FOOD....out of this world!
Three course breakfast and four course dinner,made fresh in our company!
Lovely music playing in the back ground,and a lot of candles that just make the ambience amazing!
I will go back time and time again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Ah! How warm and cozy it was to bask by the fire, snuggled under a lap blanket, on a rainy day in Paternoster. My bold biologist husband had gone out to explore, despite the weather. I enjoyed sitting in the art-filled sun room downstairs and gazing out at the view of the sea. Arnold kept coming in to tend the fire and to check on me. I happily dreamed and wrote in one of my journals. I must have written this journal on my heart, because I'm unable to find the writing that I created at this cottage guesthouse!

Ah! Guest House isn't right on the beach, but you can see the ocean, which is roughly a block away, and I could hear it when the windows were open. It looks and feels like a dreamy seaside cottage in picturesque Paternoster. We had 1 fine sunny day during our 3-night stay, and it was an easy day trip to explore the beautiful Postberg section of the West Coast National Park.

Arnold is a talented chef, and we were spoiled by multi-course breakfasts and 1 gourmet dinner during our visit. See my photos of delicious gourmet meals! My favorite dessert was something Arnold made with guava and layers of a thin crispy pastry, all made from scratch. (Breakfast is included, but dinner costs extra, and must be reserved in advance.) I also fell in love with the crispy potato balls!

We enjoyed the Orange room upstairs, which faces the sea, and is one of the larger rooms at this guest House. We could hear the sea through the opened windows when it was warm and dry enough to open them. The rooms at this guest house are on the small side. We had a lot of luggage for our 1-month journey, and it took some juggling to arrange it in the room. When we wanted to sit in the chair, inevitably we would have to move some bags or some jackets off of the chair. We enjoyed the room because it was warm and cheery and cozy, creating an inviting atmosphere. There was even a tea service in the room. The bed was a little too soft for us, but the room was nice and quiet and restful at night.

Analise and Arnold have a wonderful artistic sense, and I really enjoyed the warm colors used throughout the guesthouse, and the interesting art work. The atmosphere at Ah! Guest House is warm, charming, and cozy.

We hope to return to Ah! Guest House someday, and I highly recommend it. Arnold also made us dinner reservations for 2 great restaurants in town, as he readily understood that it's fun to mix it up a bit and eat at more than one spot. This delightful b&b is the perfect choice for guests who consider the warmth and charm of a cozy seaside cottage atmosphere to be a higher priority than the size of their bedroom.

Room Tip: The Orange room is one of the larger rooms at this cottage, and it faces in the direction of the sea...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013

If you are looking for relaxed , piece-full non pretentious but exceptional service ...this is your home away from home. Is like stepping in your own holiday house but having it all done for you !
The FOOD is out of this world and made with passion and love from owners . Breakfast is the music for the senses . Look for the room upstairs . Walk across the road to the beach.
I will visit over and over gain ,,

Room Tip: Upstairs with the balcony
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2013

6 memebers of my family spent 3 wonderful nights at AH. Excellent accomadation with some quirky decor. Super quality bed linen and towels always speak for themselves.
Arnold's food is the better than any restaurant in town.We had 2 outstanding dinners in addition to the 5 star breakfast.
The upstairs room are the best. We booked all 3 that have own patio with sea view.
Best food in town is Noisy Oyster with great atmosphere.Gaaitjie for seafood was rather disappointing.
If you have time go see Fossil museum near Hopetown.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are best.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was sceptical when I read the reviews before booking but I was wrong. Ah! is a real gem in Paternoster. The hospitality is great but not overbearing. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. The location is close to the beach. The breakfast is the best I have had and I have stayed in hundreds of hotels. You will not regret staying here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paternoster
0 mi away
#1 of 19 in Paternoster
Paternoster Manor Guest House
Paternoster Manor Guest House
#6 of 19 in Paternoster

Been to ah! Guest House? Share your experiences!