ah! Guest House
  • Beachfront
$113
$96
Protea Hotels
Riviera Hotel & Chalets(Velddrif)(Great Value!)
$62
$160
Priceline
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Windtown Lagoon Hotel(Langebaan)(Great Value!)
$70
The Farmhouse Hotel(Langebaan)(Great Value!)
$80
$70
Paternoster Hotel(Paternoster)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewschef's tableguest housecourse dinnerlong tableother gueststhe open plan kitchenmichelin star qualitygourmet breakfastwonderful foodfrench toastcommunal tablecooking dinnersouth africaout of this worldbig tablewestern capefabulous night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was my forth visit to Ah. This time on my own and in winter. It is just such an idyllic spot, right on the beach. I was so lucky with the weather and managed to while away a few hours upstairs on the veranda with a book. I even had to borrow a sun hat from the hat stand! I do not think there is a more relaxing place in the world.
I stayed in the red room this time. It is beautifully appointed like the rest of the rooms with quirky details. I loved the main light! The beds are super comfy, the bed linens top quality and love all the new Rain toiletteries.
Arnold and Annalise are such welcoming and hospitable hosts. It's incredible that they know just what their guests want. They are always there for a chat but never obtrusive.
I have spoken before about Arnold's food. It just gets better and there were new things to try this time. Arnold is now only cooking for guests, but that is fair. If you want to sample his food, which I suggest you do, then book a room!
I was here for 6 nights and on the mornings I was too full to eat one of Arnold's breakfast, then he just made something simple for me. But I am never too full for his frittata!
Ah just has to be my favourite accommodation and position in the world, and as you can see from my other reviews, I have stayed in lots of places!

Room Tip: Any room but upstairs probably wins for the views and veranda, you can see the sea from your bed in the red room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lisasplaces
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have just spent three days at the ultimate guest house. Arnold and Annelise really know how to make you feel as if you are truly home. The accommodation is perfect and the food heavenly. There is absolutely no reason to stay or eat anywhere else when in Paternoster!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My now-fiance took me for a surprise stay at Ah! Guest House. Now first off i must say that Paternoster has always been my most favourite place for a breakaway; i mean, what is not to love about this little cute town?

But now i know that the real treat is just around the corner at Ah! Guest House!! Perhaps a little pricey for two young South African travellers, but so worth it for a special event.

Rooms are lovely - we had the blue room - with classy decor and all the necessary amenities.

Service - used the coffee in the room upon arrival, and when we returned later it was already replenished.

My then-boyfriend took me here to propose, which he did on the pristine 7km beach just 2 minutes from the house. To top this off, we joined the chef's table that night, including treats like a four cheese salad, the best pork loin i have ever had and a dessert that was out of this world. Great company from the local town, and the perk of bringing your own wine really makes this a not to be missed experience.

Upon returning to the room, romantic turndown including rose petals and truffels was done to really mark the end of such a special day.

But wait there is more...there is a breakfast the next morning that will make you want to stay forever!! the french toast and homemade ice cream with great quality coffee is enough to make you call in sick the next day at work and stay another few nights.

Arnold and Annalise, thanks for your hospitality, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Having found Ah! Guesthouse on Tripadvisor we based our decision to confirm our booking on the many positive reviews they have received - and they did not disappoint!

The property is well sign posted and easy to find - situated a stones throw from a sweeping 7km beach, but easily accessible to the quaint village of Paternoster. From our bedroom and the spacious upstairs balcony we enjoyed the sea views as much as the inland view of green pastures. The en suite bedrooms are clean, cosy and well appointed and leave you wanting for absolutely nothing.

The highlight of staying at Ah! Guesthouse for us however were the friendly guests that we met at the communal dinner table - and our gracious hosts, Arnold & Annalise.

They are an exceptional team, and made the task of preparing and serving our world class three course dinner and sumptuous breakfasts seem effortless. Superior to most upmarket restaurants that we have visited world-wide, the hospitality and cuisine was a real highlight and will definitely entice us back.

If you're unsure of where to stay on South Africa's beautiful West Coast - I can highly recommend you choose to spend time with Arnold & Annalise at the Ah! Guesthouse.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DaveOpp
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ah! Guesthouse is quite simply the best place to stay when you're on SA's west coast. The eclectic and stylish interior, as well as the incredibly warm hosts, Arnold and Annalise, helps to create a home away from home. The food is on a whole new level. Arnold's culinary skills are far superior to most, and his passion for good food will leave your taste buds begging for more. No wonder they were praised in the NY Times as one of SA's highlights. The wonderfully tranquil Paternoster is the ideal location for this guesthouse. This is a magical little town, and one cannot help but be overcome with relaxation. The service at Ah! is superb, the food sublime and the hosts are wonderful. I'll be back again and again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family