“I'm addicted ....”

Ranked #1 of 19 Paternoster B&B and Inns
Tarifa
“I'm addicted ....”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I am only afraid that yet one more review saying 'absolutely excellent' will mean that the AH Guesthouse will be full when I want to book again ! I have now been four times, all great, but the last was the best with the recent addition of new rooms and a very comfortable sitting area. What keeps me going back? The warm reception , the artistic interior (just 'simply' stylish), the other lovely guests (yes, every time I have met other interesting people who also go regularly) and of course the fact that Arnold is in my view the Master Chef to beat all Master Chefs and Annalise the Hostess with the 'mostest'. As a guesthouse owner myself (in Southern Spain) I tend to be pretty critical so rest assured I do not bestow the accolade of excellence easily - Ah definitely merits this accolade. I am looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: All rooms charming. Upstairs are directly off communal roof terrace. I choose the only downstairs r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Johannesburg , SA
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We recently spent our 25th wedding anniversary at Ah! It was memorable in every way. Arnold and Annelise have perfected the art of unobtrusive yet open hearted hospitality. The dining, breakfast and dinner, is as inspired as all other reviewers have stated. Yet it is the gloriously convivial act of sharing Arnold's kitchen with other guests, as he calmly prepares course after delicious course, that sets this place apart from any other we have experienced. The hours evaporate as he and Annelise weave their "gemutlichkeit". The same level of unsnobbish calm and comfort applies to the rooms and the establishment as a whole. Add this to 2 perfect days on the pristine 7km long beach and yes have a recipe for perfect self indulgence.

IRELAND
Reviewed January 13, 2013

What can I say that hasn't already been said - superb guesthouse in superb location, miles of sandy beach, great hosts, quirky village, great restaurants and the fabulouse Chef's table - if you have the opportunity to dine here, do! ( I'm still dreaming of the pork dish!)

My parents and their friends are staying her in March on my recommendation - Paternoster was a great discovery made even better by this absolute gem

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Ah! Guest House is a wonderfuly relaxing place right at the sea in Paternoster; what sets it apart from other nice B&B's is the attention to detail, and the amazing cooking by Arnold, a former chef from Johannisburg. Joined by interesting other guests at a long table in the open kitchen we truly enjoyed his four course dinner which was one of the best we ever had in South Africa. And breakfast the next morning was very innovative, too! The rooms, though somewhat small, are comfortable and nicely decorated. Less than two hours north of Cape Town this is a great place to spend a few days at the sea and enjoy marvellous food. Highly recommended!

Lusaka
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Ok, so I almost don't want to tell anyone else about this little treasure in Paternoster so there will be space for when I want to return, but alas I must share. First off, I was lucky to stumble onto this amazing little guest house completely by accident while I was frantically searching for a place during the Christmas holidays. Since I was told that we could not miss the quaint little fishing village on our trip to South Africa, fate definitely smiled on us when Ah! had two nights available. I can now say we wouldn’t consider staying anywhere else when we return!

Not only do Arnold and Annelise spoil their guests rotten with all of the attention to detail (truffles on the nightstand anyone???), I challenge you to eat as well in all of South Africa. As other visitors have noted, the three course breakfasts are truly decadent and delicious, but the real stand out is the four-course chef's table dinner. You can eat around a long table with guests and other diners and indulge in the wonderful meal that Arnold and Annelise have prepared using fresh, local ingredients. The beef carpaccio with capers, coconut lemongrass steeped fish, and chocolate/white chocolate dessert with rooibos/fig homemade ice cream dessert were so memorable that we found ourselves comparing all of the remaining meals of our time in S.A. to this one!

As if that weren't enough, the design of the space is so relaxing, paying homage to local artists and taking advantage of the beautiful ocean views and atmosphere. Our room was spacious, with a comfy bed/linens and showed all of the thought that the owners have taken to make certain their guests have a pleasant stay -- from a beach bag with beach towels, bath salts for the sunken tub, robes and slippers, wine and champagne glasses in the rooms and turn down service every night. There is also a wonderful sun/moon deck to relax with a drink, or a book, complete with a chiminea to keep you warm on colder nights.

Even when you just want to chill out and watch a movie (or if there is heaven forbid a rainy day), there are a bunch of DVDs for guests to choose from. I obviously could go on and on, but I will just say if you are headed to Paternoster, do yourself a favor and book a room or even just a dinner for you will not be disappointed...we just may be when it is full when we want to go back :)

Room Tip: We stayed in the Airplane Jane room and thought it was truly special, but I don't think there is...
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Very cute spot with all the details and conveniences to make your stay memorably luxurious... Including blockout to ensure a good nights sleep, and aircon to keep you comfortable when the wind is howling outside.

The most memorable thing is certainly Arnold's cooking. You'll realise this is no ordinary B&B when you wakeup to a 3 course breakfast! Book a gourmet 4 course dinner at the chef's table and you won't look back... In fact you might even make some new friends as everyone tucks into the meal with relish.

Very special!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GLASGOW
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Where do i start.This is our second and certainly not our last trip to ah guest house.Arnold and Analise have made some changes to the property which makes it an even more relaxing and chilled out space to start our trip to the western cape.They have included a lovely roof terrace with loungers for enjoying a good bookand also with lovely views out to sea for my non reading husband .The breakfast was superb especially the liquorice ice cream and the evening meal heavenly made even better by the lovely company at the table.We will be back the question is how soon can we revisit your little piece of paradise

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple