“Excellent Stay”
Review of Petwood Hotel

Petwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodhall Spa
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We travelled over from Australia and used the hotel as a base from which to visit family in the surrounding counties. We were allocated a fantastic room complete with 4-poster bed and great views over the gardens. We really enjoyed being immersed in the history of the place and were spoiled rotten by the staff, who were all most courteous and helpful. The food was excellent and delivered with fantastic service. It was nice to stay somewhere with character rather than a more modern but sterile establishment. We enjoyed our stay so much, we are already planning a return for next year.

Room Tip: If you want a room with great views and real character, ask for 'Oak"
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnRivett
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for your review which delighted the team. I am so pleased to hear that enjoyed your stay and felt that the service from the staff, quality of the food and independent setting of the hotel was worthy of comment.

We look forward to welcoming you again to The Petwood next year.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

It was convenient to stay here after a private function that was held in the hotel. The initial impression when entering the room for the first time was not good. The carpet was dirty and there were crumbs, presumably from a previous occupants snack. The room (203) overlooked the car park ensuring you benefitted from car noise until quite late and starting again early the next morning. On the plus side, the tea and coffee making facility in the room was very good as was the excellent power shower. The food at the private function was average but the breakfast buffet was good.
This hotel does some things better than others but the rooms would benefit from a deep clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back facing the gardens.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. I am so sorry to read of your disappointment on checking in to your room and the disturbance you experienced from other guests leaving the hotel after a function. I thank you for your comments which I have shared with the Housekeeping team for attention.

I am encouraged to read, however, that you were pleased with the in-room amenities and breakfast on the morning of departure. Should you visit the area again please do consider The Petwood and let us know how we have improved since your first visit.

With thanks and best wishes

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Whilst I have never stayed in this hotel it was my pleasure to have lunch there with my cousins earlier this year. Being interested in aviation I was quite awestruck to be able to wander through the areas showing photos etc of the famous Dam busters. We had a delicious lunch and felt quite grand in the elegant surrounds of the dining room. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for visiting The Petwood and subsequently sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor users. I am extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and would recommend to others.

When next in the UK I do hope that you will come to Woodhall Spa again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and our two friends stayed at this hotel last week whilst on a golfing break at Woodhall Spa. On arrival we were all struck by the splendour of the hotel and the overall setting. The staff were all very friendly and obliging, although some of the younger staff waiting at table were a little naive. Virtually all the carpets had seen better days and our bedroom was particularly bad. There were no feather pillows just foam ones which doesn't give one a good night's sleep in warm weather. Decoration was very tired. The History of the Dam Busters in the Officer's Mess was truly brilliant and probably worth the stay on it's own. One tip: If you happen to have a room, as we did, overlooking the terrace you have wonderful views of the gardens. The bad news is that if a golf party are staying they sometimes frequent the terrace below your window and, with the drink, can be very loud until 2.00am as happened on the Thursday night before we left.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Petwood, Owner at Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your review and kind comments about the hotel's setting, history and gardens. I am pleased that largely you found our team friendly and obliging, however I would like to discuss with you in more detail how we can address the other matters with training. Similarly, I would like to explore the idea of a 'pillow menu' and how we can incorporate your comments into our refurbishment plans, a rolling programme of which starts in a couple of weeks with fitting new bedroom carpets.

Thank you for raising the comment about fellow guests enjoying the terrace later in the evening at louder volumes than are preferable. I will review our existing practices and see how we can better manage the noise levels from groups on summer evenings.

I look forward to welcoming you again and receiving your comments on our progress with implementing your feedback.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Lovely hotel in beautiful grounds and steeped in history. However room 222 is adjacent to the extractor fan for the kitchen and once turned off at 2100 very quiet until 0400 when some droning noise begins making it impossible to sleep peacefully.
Carpet in room very dirty.
On being moved to a different room on 2nd night we were delighted until we noticed the state of the carpet in this lovely 4 poster bedroom. Surely the attention to detail in this establishment should be second to none. I was disappointed to say the least. Everything else about the hotel is great and they let themselves down on detail!

Room Tip: Garden view is the best
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review in addition to the feedback already kindly given to the hotel through a guest feedback survey.

Whilst I am very pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay I am sorry that you were disappointed with the condition of carpets. I trust, however, you will be pleased to know that we have new carpets scheduled to be fitted for a number of rooms over the coming weeks.

I do hope that you will consider a return visit so that we can hear your feedback on our progress.

With thanks and best wishes

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My friend and I had afternoon tea at the Petwood to celebrate her birthday. The afternoon tea was lovely and the staff were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble. When we were there we picked up a brochure for the Beauty Room. (didn't know the hotel had one until then). You have to book, but I booked a Crystal Wand Facial and my friend had a Reiki treatment. She said hers was great and I can honestly say that the facial was one of the best treatments I've ever had. It was absolute heaven. Lisa is really friendly, but very professional. It really is a hidden gem within the hotel.
The Petwood is a lovely hotel. It's got so much charm. I would recommend it to any one.
We've both booked again to have another treatment. Now we know it's there it would be rude not to.

Room Tip: We didn't stay over, but if you have time, book a treatment with Lisa.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for reviewing your visit for afternoon tea and beauty treatments. It is wonderful to hear you discovered the delights of the Petwood Beauty Studio and are keen to return.

Treatments are available to both guests and visitors. All are welcome but appointments must be made in advance with Lisa. Contact details and a list of beauty treatments and holistic therapies are available on the website or by calling Reception for more information.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed for for a few days to attend a conference. This hotel is situated on beautiful grounds that one could look at and explore all day. In the hotel all of the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful.

My room was excellent. There was a raised platform with windows showing the beautiful grounds. A lovely desk and a closet that could easily fit a week's worth of clothes. The bathroom had the normal fair and accessories that you would expect.

There are two bars with a good selection of beer and wine. The Dam Busters bar outlines the amazing history of the grounds and what happened there during WW II (ask about the tree branch above the bar).

I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a place to stay and relax or hold a conference.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room with a view of the grounds. I was in the Wisteria room and thought it was amazi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of The Petwood Hotel with other TripAdvisor users. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our team friendly and helpful. during your visit to the UK.

Since your stay we have refurbished the bathroom in Wisteria. I am sorry that you missed out on this by a matter of days but hope a return visit may be in the pipeline so that you can tell us what you think.

Thank you again for your recommendation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodhall Spa
#4 of 4 in Woodhall Spa
Branston Hall Hotel
Branston Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston

Been to Petwood Hotel? Share your experiences!