“Never judge a book by its cover”
Review of The Golf Hotel

The Golf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Woodhall Spa
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
“Never judge a book by its cover”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Went as a party of four four Sunday Lunch on 15th September.
While the hotel looks elegant from a distance, as you drive closer, it became evident that the exterior timber work is in desperate need of renovation, That, coupled with an empty car park nearly put us off and we were considering cancelling our reservation! However, once inside, the public areas improve considerably and the furnishings are modern and tasteful, albeit again some areas are in great need of redecoration.
However, all the staff we encountered were welcoming and friendly. The service was efficient and the best part of all was that the food was of an excellent standard and delightfully presented. Prices are excellent value considering the quality of food served, and wines were very reasonable.
Sadly, we were the only diners so the restaurant was lacking a bit of atmosphere, but the food was good enough to convince me to dine here again. The hotel is clearly a "work in progress", and I look forward to seeing the end product in the future

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wilfred M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Golf Hotel on business for 3 nights and, in addition to being in a good location for local amenities, I found the stay pleasant and would stay there again.

The lobbies are in the middle of being renovated so some are dated at best, but once these are brought in line with the rest of the hotel, this will be a very stylish and modern hotel.

Room-wise, I was impressed. Spacious, recently decorated, modern and with a large (32" or 40") flatscreen TV.
The bed was large, comfy and cleaned/made well each day.
I slept well each night and only heard minimal noise from adjoining rooms.

The bathroom was fairly basic, but the facilities were modern and cleaned thoroughly daily.

I ate breakfast in the restaurant, which was nice but pretty basic - choice of fried food or cereals, though the attendant was both polite and helpful.
Evening meal I had brought to my room and each meal was lovely. Good portions, restaurant quality and decent value for the cost.
Room service was prompt, courteous and mindful of courses being delivered at the right times.

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay, but maybe somewhat more easily pleased due to being on business and not staying for recreation.
You will be disappointed with the lobby areas whilst being renovated as, frankly, they are ugly and set the hotel back.
But, perspective is required when reviewing this hotel as a lobby is something you pass through on the way to your room and certainly does not detract from the overall experience of what is a nice, modern and stylish hotel with friendly and attentive staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AndyW83
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at your hotel. When I first arrived, from the outside I thought that it looked a bit run down, but was pleasantly surprised when I stepped inside. I was told that a lot of renovation work was going on, mostly upstairs which didn't affect me. The room that I was given was excellent, large and spacious. The only downside was the lack of wifi in the room, as I had no privacy when I was conducting my business. The location of the hotel was ideal for my commuting, which made it all the better. I will no doubt be staying here in the future.

Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Leuchar
Surrey
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a golf weekend. First off all great location with a 10 min max walk to Woodall spa gc or a 2 min drive.
Hotel lovely to look at from the outside but desperately needs a lick of paint as very grotty the closer you get.
Once inside totally blown away by the reception and bar, very nice and very new - bar has a 100" tv I think!!!

Corridors horrid and old but they do say they are being refurbished and desperately need to be.
My room was a double and the two contrasts continued even in there. Main bedroom was clean, and very modern with gret decor. Open then bathroom door and you have stepped back in time, I guess refurb happening at some point.

Food wise the breakfast was nice and enjoyed a very well cooked evening meal. The menu wasn't spectacular but good honest food was done very well.

Overall it has to be 3 / 5 as whist service and some areas are definitely a 5 some are in desperate need of some love and money!

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

At the risk of writing a moaning overly negative review, here I go..... Over priced, soulless, dated, money spent only on first impressions etc. although our stay was reasonable I may not have been quite as disappointed if the accommodation was cheaper. The reception area was well maintained, on the walls to our room we were greeted by lots of notices about corridors being refurbished but no sign of this happening. The room was ok, clean but paint peeling off the wall where I assume damp was coming through the window. There was a very large tv and the bed was very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and was slightly worried when we were the only table in there! We ordered from the set menu, not a huge choice but a reasonable price and the food was much nicer than expected. Only one other table came in after us, which seems very odd to be so quiet on a Saturday night...... Went for a drink in the bar and there was another 5 customers.... On the plus side breakfast was as much as you could expect from a buffet breakfast. The staff were also all very pleasant! All in all I think if everything was a fair amount cheaper you would brush off a lot of things. But having stayed in a pub room the night before for a lot less money and a far superior room and food I left feeling disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel is well past its sell buy date. What was probably a nice hotel once upon a time is now a sorry collection of peeling paint, wayward wiring with dated decor. The current owners appear to have spent the minimum amount possible to get the public areas into an acceptable state, but seem to have spent no money at all on the rooms, corridors and other areas of the hotel. There were signs in the corridors saying "Sorry for the renovations over the next 4 weeks", but these were dated 29th April ... my stay was in August!

As for my room, the carpet was badly worn, there were massive cracks in the basin and no air conditioner. The ridiculously hot towel rail was downright dangerous in such a narrow bathroom and the shower had just 2 temperatures - boiling or freezing! The towel was not changed all week and the small supply of tea, coffee and biscuits was not replenished during my stay.

The food in the restaurant/bar was fine, but not great and the choice for breakfast was extremely limited.

Despite the staff being friendly and courteous, I would not recommend this hotel in its present state.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Woodhall Spa hotels

Norfolk
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a super time at the Golf Hotel for this event. We had a lovely, spacious and comfortable room, and the staff, as well as being their usual helpful selves, dressed in 1940's style to add to the atmosphere.
We are vegetarians, and the veggie breakfasts and evening meals were first class.
As always, we were totally happy with our stay, and we are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
The Admiral Rodney Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House
Belton Woods Hotel
Belton Woods Hotel
#1 of 1 in Belton

Been to The Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!