“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #6 of 28 Restaurants in Woodhall Spa
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Booked afternoon tea for two in the drawing room ,when we arrived we had to go to the bar to order and pay for the tea first,it felt like ordering in a cafeteria we were then shown to our table but only one chair I sat on window seat the table next to us had gathered up several chairs it was a bit of a free for all on seating.
When the tea arrived it was in cafeteria style cups and tea pot (why was I suprised)?I looked into the tea pot to see tea bags, so no china cups and tea leaves as is usual for traditional afternoon tea, next to us people were rowdy drinking beer and kept knocking our table with their bags of shopping the child ran in circles around the two tables it definitely was not a relaxing experience, I know a wedding reception was being held elsewhere in the hotel but feel it should not have been allowed to spill over into other areas and cause an uneasy rather than relaxing atmosphere, it was sad as we had been looking forward to this treat for such a long time .So disappointed.

Petwood, Owner at The Dining Room at the Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Thank you for your review, however I am so sorry that were disappointed with your afternoon tea experience on Saturday.

Building on the positive comments from other reviewers about our homemade scones and the complimentary tea and coffee refills, you may be aware of the improvements we are making to our menus and service style for the various dining options we offer our guests and visitors. For example, we introduced table service during weekdays for the bar and lounge and we plan to extend this into weekends very soon, thereby enhancing the quality of our service.

We strive to achieve the best possible guest experience and I am grateful for your suggestions as to how we can improve this.

I hope that you will consider a return visit in the future to see our service improvements and broadened choice of leaf teas. Should you wish for a more private afternoon tea experience, we will gladly offer a more secluded spot in the atmospheric setting of the Squadron Bar.

With my thanks again and best wishes

There are newer reviews for The Dining Room at the Petwood Hotel

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Me and my family were very much looking forward to attending my father’s 60th birthday celebrations at the restaurant in the Petwood Hotel. This is a restaurant we have dined in many times before over several years and have always enjoyed excellent food and service. Our recent experience was quite the opposite and we were appalled at the quality of the food and service. As we arrived at the restaurant we were greeted by an extremely rude man (who we later found out was the restaurant manager) asked if we were another party and then ignored us. We were shown to our table by another member of the waiting staff. After spending ages waiting to order our food I then had to ask to order. When the food arrived those in the party that ordered lamb had to call over a member of staff (as they hadn’t bothered to ask if our food was ok) to send this back to the kitchen as it was not cooked well and the toughness of the meat made in inedible. The restaurant manager that we had encountered earlier in the evening came to take the food back to the kitchen offering no apology. After everyone else had finished their meals the lamb was finally brought out again with the same problems. At no stage did anyone return to our table to ask if the lamb was now ok and when my father whose 60th birthday it was caught the attention of the restaurant manager to tell him the ongoing problems who to our disgust completely ignored my father and turned his back the other way. The members of the party having the lamb left the dish uneaten in the end. As one can imagine at this stage we were all disgusted by the way we had been treated.

The more junior members of the waiting staff in particular the waiter that took our wine order were friendly, efficient but clearly lacking in direction as to what they were supposed to be doing. If they were allowed to take orders we might not have waited so long as those that do take food orders (including the restaurant manager) seem to spend little time in the restaurant. Perhaps some of more junior members of the team could give the restaurant manager some training in hospitality!

I went to reception to complain as I was very upset that my father’s special occasion had been ruined. Whilst the duty manager came to speak with us he seemed to have no idea what was really going on and how to fix things. He suggested that the service problems were caused by a new computer system which had led the manager to spend most time looking at tables to see what people had order, despite the fact that this was written down. He came back to us to discuss the bill and informed us that the bill had already been paid. No one from our party had paid this bill and then after much coming and going the duty manager informed us that another party had paid the wrong bill. To this day we still do not know what had happened (including whether the Hotel got paid twice for our bill) and the whole thing was farcical and highlighted just how unorganised things were. The only thing we were offered in terms of compensation was the cost of the lamb dishes and the tea and coffee as we had been sat there for ages waiting for the bill to be sorted out.

At the time we accepted this as my family did not want the whole thing to go on any longer and my dad just wanted to go home at this point, however I am deeply unsatisfied as to what we were offered, at no point did anyone acknowledge it was a special birthday occasion for my father which had been ruined.

I can honestly say I have eaten in many different restaurants in many different countries and the restaurant manager has to be the rudest member of restaurant staff that I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. We accept that sometimes things go wrong with food and had it not been for his rudeness and arrogance we would have accepted this and moved on. After eating in the Petwood restaurant several times and holding my wedding reception here 5 years ago me and my family have always enjoyed excellent service and food and I sincerely hope the restaurant can return to this high standard. Until such time we will not be returning.

3  Thank chemicalworld
Petwood, Owner at The Dining Room at the Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

I am so sorry to hear of the uncharacteristic shortfalls in our service that you experienced on Saturday evening, especially as you were celebrating the special occasion of your father's birthday. Our General Manager has spoken to your father directly to apologise and discuss the issues of Saturday night.

As a result, I am delighted that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again to the Petwood to demonstrate our usual high standards of food and service quality that you expect from us and that we are proud to deliver.

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our afternoon tea consisting of smoked salmon and beef sandwiches, fruit loaf and Lincolnshire Poacher, fruit scones, jam and clotted cream, fresh strawberries and shortbread and a pot of tea. Delicious!
We had a set menu in the evening as part of 'party night'. The starter of prawn and crayfish was nice and the turkey main was very good. Only problem was that not enough veg was served to the table with several guests going without. The dessert was a generous serving of Choc torte, again very good.
The service throughout our stay was very good but there were a few younger staff members who maybe needed some guidance eg asking me what flavour wine I would like!
The team dealt with a busy party very well overall and were still smiling in the morning!

Petwood, Owner at The Dining Room at the Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Thank you for your TripAdvisor reviews in addition to the feedback given on checkout via a guest survey. Your report of wine "flavour" was jumped on straight away! We have also noted your comments about the quantity of vegetables served on the party night menu.

We are all really pleased that you enjoyed the food served during your stay and were pleased with the standard of service. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

With our thanks and best wishes

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Why wasn't the soup tasted before it's was served ?
Having been served this horrendous meal it hasn't put me off using the Petwood again because mistakes can happen but please tasted the food before your served it.

1  Thank rwswoodhall
Petwood, Owner at The Dining Room at the Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for the disappointing soup starter from last Friday's event. The feedback received has been acknowledged, understood and the team is focused on ensuring a situation like this can never be repeated.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon to demonstrate our usual high standards of cuisine. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Oh dear whenever is the chef going to get it right. The meal presented on Friday night would have left Gordon Ramsey speechless. The soup was not even surpassed by the washing up water. As recompense the 1 bottle of wine per table - 10 diners on our table was an insult. The beef was over cooked and the vegetables and potatoes defied definition. Dessert looked more like a cheap and cheerless excuse obtained from a supermarket. This is the second function we have attended at this establishment and thought the food was a one off mistake the first time, I now realise it wasn't. Having delivered this damming report I would like to congratulate the youngsters serving at table who stayed pleasant and smiling throughout the meal.

Petwood, Owner at The Dining Room at the Petwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for your review, which although extremely disappointing to read, is acknowledged as useful and essential feedback for improvement. The team and I are very keen to solve whatever did not work well on the night so that we can avoid any recurrence in the future. Your detailed input is valued and, having contacted you directly to arrange it, I hope to speak to you very soon.

Please accept my apologies once again and assurances that this is being followed up and addressed with the keenest attention.