All reviews la gallina wine tasting luxury hotel swimming pool fantastic location great dinner incredible food small things wedding venue an alternative excellent room restaurant food cooking class wine country up to date winery tour
Selected filters
Reviewed July 2, 2018

We booked into Villa Sparina as a final stop in Italy on our way out after a magical wedding outside Florence. We were looking for somewhere to continue recovery from hangovers and relax and boy did we find it. This place is fantastic.

It is essentially a converted house but has retained much of its charm as it has been very cleverly done and the hotel exudes relaxation and the sense that you are staying in some one's house at their invitation. We saw very few people outside meal times. It just did not feel like a hotel which we both appreciated very much.

Arrival was incredibly laid back and smooth and we were swiftly checked into an excellent room with a good shower (not ideal for the larger man as turning circle in the shower not vast so managed to freeze and burn myself twice as I moved the control!). We then went to find the pool. This is a walk from the main hotel (I'm going to say it is a km but I am prone to exaggeration, so will will plump for 500m) through the vineyard and down a hill into what looks basically like a neighbour's house that the hotel has pool access rights for. On arrival it is clear that it isn't, you are met by a very friendly hotel employee with towels. There's wifi there (vital to upload pictures on social media to make friends jealous) and you can get a cold drink and something to eat as well. We had the entire pool area to ourselves for the day and it was perfect. What a suntrap. Only first-world gripe is the walk back up the hill from it to the hotel... you'll be sweating and in flip flops, you're going to get dusty and dirty meaning you immediately want another cooling dip!

Back at the hotel another burning/cooling shower later, out to the bar in amongst the herbs for a wonderful drink in the sun with views over the house vineyards and a lovely valley. It was just perfect. We had another.

Restaurant for me was excellent, we had top notch service until a big table of eight of Gavi's local hoi polloi arrived, resplendent in sun tans, white linen, louboutins, pristine trainers and gold and then we were forgotten but we went for the taster menu and it was truly excellent. We also spied those ordering a la carte had portions of the same size.... so left feeling both smug and incredibly full. Excellent bottle of the house red to drink overlooking the vines it was grown on as the sun set and it made for a truly wonderful evening. I think the restaurant is under rated in the Michelin Guide where it has the "good cooking" status, I've eaten far worse food in starred Michelin restaurants in France where I paid double the price. On food quality alone, those I will not return to, this I most certainly will.

Breakfast was OK the next day but nothing special although highlights were some excellent coffee and cold option and some wonderfully creamy scrambled eggs. We left Villa Sparina very reluctantly and can't wait to return, it offered us a fantastic stop on our trip back up to the UK in the car.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank GlosRetiredProp
Reviewed June 23, 2018 via mobile

Great setting amongst vineyards. Functional winery with old cellar. Got room upgrade. Swimming pool in neighbouring winery. Enjoyed a nice breakfast with lovely fresh donuts and local hazelnut paste. Good restaurant for dinner. Bar set into a herb and vegetable garden.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2018

Unbelievable setting! Very romantic and a real luxury hotel. Wonderful staff, incredible food, great accommodations. Be prepared for no air-conditioning which may be the only negative. Wine country is amazing and the cellar at Villa Sparina is very special. Many special pictures and memories with great friends here. I would give this location more stars if possible!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

We have come here for years, both as a couple as well as with friends. However, after recent stays we’ve now decided to try something else next time. The property is beautiful with amazing views. La Gallina restaurant is good albeit not excellent. Breakfast however is fantastic. Why the chane of heart? Prices have increased significantly over the years and we feel that quality has declined a little bit - but maybe that’s just us getting used to it. Also, as we once had issues where clearly the hotel made a mistake they were trying to BS us like it was a force majeure event. Nothing major but just a few small things adding up. You’ll almost surely like it if you come here for the first time but my wife and I will look for something else next time.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2018

Villa Sparina is a wonderful and comfortable hotel located in the Gavi wine region Villa Sparina winery. Great luxury hotel with a great ambiance, including the public areas; restaurant and bar. Highly Recommended

Date of stay: April 2018