“Ricci de Castagne is an excellent dish!”
Review of Osteria del Pane - CLOSED

Osteria del Pane
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Seattle, Washington
“Ricci de Castagne is an excellent dish!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Overall: a very nice dining experience.
My dish of ricci de castagne was perfectly prepared and seasoned (it's chesnut flour past served with some sort of DELICIOUS lardy mountain prosciutto - not too salty and I love salt). I would have this dish again tonight actually. I then ordered the bocconcino de cervo (dear stew & porcini), which needed a bit of seasoning but was quite good.

My husband ordered menu speciale de porcini (23E): crostini (disappointing appetizer), risotto (good, small portion) and salsicia, porcini and polenta (very good especially the local juicy but not fatty sausage).

Wine: excellent choice selected from the 2 options on the table. For once, I wanted to order a half bottle of wine, which is never really enough for the meal but allows you to drive home safely up the mountain road since we'd already had apero in town [bar de Tinder!!]. The owner offered to cork the remaining wine of the 0.75 bottle, which is a modern custom I am familiar with in France. This allows you to drink just the right amount and we will gladly have the last 2 glasses this evening. It was a vielles vignes de donnas 2009.

No dessert and our tab was euro 79. Honestly not bad for a cute restaurant in a mountain village near a ski resort.

• Visited March 2014

Antibes
“Tourist trap”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I actually know other good places in Gressoney-St Jean and around but we wanted to give this one a try. Unfortunately it was a quite disappointing and expensive experience. I went there for lunch with my wife, just attracted by what looked like a typical "valdostana" interior decoration and overall inviting atmosphere. Actually the decoration turned out to be the only asset of this place which feel more of a tourist trap rather than an authentic local restaurant.

Food was quite average. We took a "delizie" starter which was just a mix of few hot bites not very tasty plus some slices of over-salted speck (mountain ham) we could not even eat.
Then we had a "zuppa" which was basically a slice of bread in broth with some vegetables and melted cheese but nothing to do with the real "zuppa alla valdostana" and then some "pasta with castagne" (but there were no castagne in there!)
Also the waiter was constantly trying to upsell more stuff: very annoying and stressing.
Definitely over-priced and not good value for money.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank qfwfqt0
Turin, Italy
“A nice spot for lunch”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

On a one day trip to Gressoney, my son and I stopped over for lunch at this place. Location is very nice and relaxing. Food was acceptable, we had 'zuppa dell'osteria' and 'maltagliati ai porcini'; and we really had nothing to complain. Bread is delicious. Service is very informal, just the wait sounded like a bit long, but still acceptable. The check was a little bit on the high side (for two 'primi', a bottle of water and two espresso's we shelled out about 30 euros) but not very suprising. The restaurant is always very crowded, which is a good sign..I think this place should be considered for a good quality, informal lunch break while visiting the beautiful Gressoney, do not expect more than that.

• Visited June 2013
Totnes, United Kingdom
“Glimmers of hope but disappointing overall”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

The interior looks inviting and the staff were friendly but generally this was a disappointing experience. We had some very nice starters but to keep costs down three of us went for pasta for main courses. The pasta dishes were mediocre - a little bland a little over-cooked. My younger sons veal escalope and fries was nothing to write home about either.
We weren't given a wine list so instead picked out one of the four bottles on each table. Our bottle of 2010 red was perfectly nice but I was shocked to see it charged at 32.9 euros on the bill. Even more surprising when you consider the restaurant doesn't provide proper wine glasses but tumblers which, wrongly, gave me the impression that wine would be priced accordingly.
As other reviews have alluded, the restaurant is not very clear about its prices.
Our bill for a family of 4 was just over 150 euros for a very average meal.
We visited on Valentine's night and the restaurant had zero takers for its 49 euro Valentine's special. In fact we were the only people in the restaurant that night.
This restaurant is clearly struggling at the moment. They need to cut their prices, sort out a sensible wine list and get some wine glasses asap.

• Visited February 2012