“Overall it’s probably not worth the large price tag as the rooms are only ok, and could be a lot better for a hotel seem”

Chateau de Massillan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed for a 3 night honeymoon to explore Provence. Hotel definitely wasn’t one of the best hotels in the world. Wasn’t a personal level of service asking about honeymoon (despite telling them in advance). The room we stayed in wasn’t great, looked old and tired, although the bathroom was nice with good products. The grounds are nice but not as vast and extensive as people say, and the pool was dirty and full of bugs so we didn’t go in. The food is amazing though, could easily eat there the whole time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

We were attracted to Chateau de Massillian by the great reviews on here and Mr and Mrs Smith website as a "honeymoon" destination. We booked four nights for our honeymoon towards the end of April 2014. However, when we arrived at the hotel and shown to our room (we had paid extra for a superior room with garden view) the view from the window was of an excavator digger and the sound of a pneumatic drill. I was particularly annoyed as I'd had a conversation on the phone with Peter the English owner the night before who mentioned nothing of the works going on, knowing full well we had booked that "garden view" room AND that we were on our honeymoon - looking for something a bit special (not a view of a digger and some workmen). They offered us a free drink and a downgraded smaller room overlooking the courtyard. Needless to say we continued our honeymoon elsewhere, cutting our stay short by a couple of nights once we'd managed to find somewhere else in Avignon that was available. They looked to find us alternate accommodation close-by but it was fully booked at such short notice. Not impressed.

I can appreciate that these works are no doubt temporary and because we arrived early in the season, but still we were heartily unimpressed (the rooms aren't any cheaper early in the season!) we weren't informed of the workers up front, and especially being on our honeymoon - you only get one chance at getting that right - we both felt misinformed and let down. Other perks of arriving early in the season include the ice cold swimming pool that had only been filled the week before.

Beautiful ambience but definitely felt like we were misinformed - had I known there were works going on outside our window in advance we certainly wouldn't have stayed here at all - yet they let us come all that way from the UK to find out for ourselves.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alex B
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

We visited chateau de Massilian for the second time in September this year after falling in love with it on our first visit . It really does have such a magical peaceful feel to it . It even smells magical . The interior is a mixture of clean lines and antique furnishings and has a very eclectic feel . Chandeliers and chaise lounges , truley sumptuous . We dined in the resturant both nights on our last visit as the food is just so good . I literally could not fault it . My partner and I feel so lucky to have discovered such a magical place . Special mention to Peter , who is a wonderful host who could not have been more warm , helpful or accomadating to us on both our visits . He is very helpful , and will happily share his knowledge of the local area with you . Massilan is truley a credit to him . Also to carol , who was again unbelievably helpful , giving us tips on places to visit and things to see and do . If all this wasn't testament enough , we have now booked our weeding here for 2014 , what more can i say . Magical

2 Thank angiebell22
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Our recent wonderful trip to Cote du Rhone area to explore the area and to seek out the wonderful wines and foods of the area was greatly enhanced by our enchanted stay at Chateau de Massillan. This revitalized 1555 Chateau was entirely filled by our group of seasoned travelers in search of great wines, foods and experiences. Peter Wylly and his staff provided us with a rich experience of history, creature comforts, beautiful accommodations and scenery and magnificent French dishes from their restaurant. "King Peter" set the tone of our visit from the moment we entered the Chateau till we left eight days later. The Chateau provides first rate accommodations with modern bathrooms, comfortable furniture and plenty of room to relax in the many wonderfully decorated rooms of the Chateau, as well as out on the very private and gorgeous grounds. I have been going to France since 1990 and feel that Peter and his staff at Chateau de Massillan delivered one of my greatest and most memorable experiences.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Chateau de Massillan is a lovely location nestled amongst vineyards with an abundance of wildlife.

The grounds compliment the chateau with a meadow featuring a lovely large pond, paths through the surrounding woodlands, a sheltered courtyard and swimming pool area, all with plenty of space to find a discrete place to sit and listen to the breezes in the trees.

Food at dinner was excellent, dining a pleasant experience.

Room maybe a little small for the price but bathroom well kitted out and luxurious.

Would thoroughly recommend a visit but don't expect 5 star levels of constant attention, but for us this is much more preferable.

A couple of points - the breakfast was excellent - freshly squeezed juice, a good selection of high quality offerings - except for the ham and cheese - both rather processed.

The location is extremely quite but due, I suspect, to how the various rooms were converted it is easy to hear noises, particularly plumbing from nearby rooms, not really an issue on our visit but if you had noisy or restless neighbours you might hear them at times.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Having read other reviews on this site, I have one foot in the camp of Jmatt,London and Andy D,Amersham. We were here for one night, mainly because they could not accommadate us for three.
I'm puzzled because this is operated more like a relaxed B&B, yet a brochure in our room said it had won awards for being in the Top 50 & Top 100 hotels in the world. I doubt I'd put it in the top 100 hotels in the UK, and I don't wish to sound cruel by saying that. From what I had read about this chateau, my expectations were very high, mainly because of the emphasis of the owners
designer background. frankly, I was disappointed. There are some very nice
aspects in the interior of the property but nothing really stunning. The rear courtyard and swimming pool area are nice, but they could look even better.
The courtyard furniture was looking decidedly worn. The 'manicured' gardens
mentioned in the same brochure do not meet my understanding of the word.
On approching, I noticed the wooden front door was stunning, but really dirty.
Now, I understand it had not rained for over a month prior to our arrival, so things were a little dusty, but such an edifice should be shining to entice you in.
A bit of elbow grease each day wouldn't go amiss. Having said that, the modern glass door beyond it was gleaming.
My wife and I were greeted nicely by the receptionist and advised we had been given an upgrade This seems to be a regular occurrence given the reviews and I applaud it. She also asked if we would like anything to eat or drink. We opted for tea in the rear courtyard and it was delivered in minutes by a friendly lady.
We too were provided with a key and told to take it with us if we went out in the evening, as the hotel is locked at a certain time.
We were also told that there would be no-one on reception from a given time in the evening (can't remember what time) until 9am, although
a telephone call should catch the owner or a member of staff, should we require anything before then. It was then I realised this wasn't a 'usual' hotel.
There is no doubt this accommodation is in a wonderfully quiet area.
Our room was large but uninspiring given the designer background. A lovely large bathroom though, with a stand-alone bath,large rain shower and separate toilet. Aah, the toilet, that's another story. What did I say about a quiet area?
Upto arriving here we had made stopovers in cities with the inevitable disturbed sleep, so when we saw this location we expected an undisturbed
night. Regretablly, it was not to be. Whenever the toilet was flushed a high-pitched squeal came from either the cistern or pipes. It also occurred intermitently at other times - maybe due to flushing from above. Also, a couple of containers for toiletries/makeup were dusty. Just to add to the 'noise factor',
and no reflection on the hotel, someone was firing a shotgun at about 8am - not our night really!
At dinner we had to seek someone out to find where we were sitting. As it happened a waiter came around a corner and sorted us out. No maitre d here then. The food was wonderful, service a little slow as the 2 amiable waiters
rushed around to serve all 14 in the dining room. If memory serves me right we were in the dining room for 2 hours.
Peter dealt with us at check-out and, as has been said, appears to be a very friendly, laid-back chap. I mentioned the squealing toilet to him and he seemed to take it on board.
So, puzzled I still am. If I'd read that this accommodation was laid back, and relaxed, and not to expect 5 star treatment, my expectations would not have been so high. We did not dislike it, but, in my opinion, it's not what it says on the tin. It could be a superb hotel, but needs money and attention spent on it. I see on the internet it's for sale; that could well explain some of the shabby element of the chic.

Room Tip: Nothing really, except maybe to ask about the plumbing!
4 Thank rapton
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Our experience.
In the middle of a 10-day trip to France, My husband and I stayed three nights at Chateau de Massillan. How would we describe it? Romantic, remote, classic (with a twist,) quaint, beautiful and charming.

Personalize service.
Peter is exactly the kind of hotelier every traveler hopes to encounter. I got the sense that he is willing to be as involved in your experience as you want him to be. Upon our late arrival, my husband inquired if there was a bar on the premises. His response was that the bar was anywhere and everywhere we wanted it to be; followed by a, “What can I get you?” Time and time again throughout our stay, Peter surprised us with his attention to detail and eagerness to make our stay as comfortable, enjoyable and memorable as possible.

The chateau.
The façade of the chateau is breathtaking. The approach is 1550’s turrets and stone. The arrival is glass entry door. The welcome is classic French with a kiss of modern. The sitting rooms, dining room, courtyard and pool area were all beautiful, comfortable and inviting. The staff was warm, attentive and eager to please.

The grounds.
The property was tranquil, manicured and inviting. We strolled to the pond, took a try on the 2-person swing and watched the koi swim beneath our feet.

Our room.
Luxury room 14 was quite comfortable, beautiful and functional with the most spectacular West-facing window with a view of the garden, lush grounds and pond. Shutters on the windows provided complete black out for a sound sleep and then opened wide to allow the outdoors in.

The dining.
We ate dinner at the Chateau twice and found the Southern French dishes and wines delicious and the atmosphere relaxing. After a casual conversation about Fois Gras, Peter even arranged for the chef to prepare for us a special appetizer in a style which were craving.

The extras.
After discussing some intended winery visits in the surrounding area (which we had researched prior to our arrival,) Peter enlightened us by suggesting a new itinerary for the day. It included a visit to a unique wine cave in Chateauneuf. Again, he made an appointment for us to enjoy a guided tasting. This experience was a real highlight of our stay in the area.

Our return.
Would we recommend or return ourselves to Chateau de Massillan? The short answer: In a heartbeat. Cheers to Peter, Chateau de Massillan and the beautiful escape created in this country oasis. Will we be back? I sure hope so.

1 Thank klock2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uchaux
Chateau de Mazan
Le Moulin De Valaurie
Le Moulin De Valaurie
#1 of 3 in Valaurie
Hostellerie Chateau des Fines Roches
Hostellerie Chateau des Fines Ro...
#1 of 4 in Chateauneuf-du-Pape

Been to Chateau de Massillan? Share your experiences!