“a True Heaven on Earth”
Review of Loch Island Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wabatongushi Lake
Loch Island Lodge
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've been to many camps over the years - and now I can stop looking. this is an outdoorsman's paradise with all of the amenities. The only negative I can think of is "when you have to leave" From the food to the boats and the entire staff its all first class. I can't until July!!! Andy & Amy what a great job!

Mark Strimple , Ohio

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Thanks to Andy and Amy again for providing a quality fishing/vacation experience at Loch Island. The staff is attentive, friendly and capable. The lodging outstanding (Otter Island) and the lake(s) at your complete disposal. This lodge is worth every penny, wether you bring your own food or let Amy and staff pamper you. Andy is affable and flexible in taking care of you/your groups needs. This is my 3rd trip in 7 years and each year it seems better, we look forward to returning and the possibility of bringing our "girls". Thanks again

Room Tip: Otter island has 2 private cabins one that works well for 2 to 5 and the other that accommodates 4...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank drmarks23
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We have stayed at 5 other lodges over the last 10 years so we have some variety built in. The Loch Island experience has been the best. The whole reason it is better is because of the dock service from the camp. Each time you come in a dock hand is waiting at the dock, they tie you off, get you gas, fillet your fish, and get you fresh bait. No where else has anyone come close to this. Here is how I rate the place for everything else I look for on a scale of 1 to 10.
Boats 8. Cedar strip with elec start 15hp, very comfy.
Cabins 9. Clean with ample beds and supplies, 4 piece in each.
Fishing 9. Walleye were on fire and quite a few pike mixed in. Portage lake was fun also.
Food 7. The shore lunch is the big hit everyday.
Service 10. Dock hands and room services were excellent.

Jeff Skonieczny Ohio

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Spikeskony
Reviewed May 25, 2011

A friend and I have been visting Loch Island for about 6 years now. We've tried a few other places here and there but we seem to keep coming back. I attribute this to the owners. Andy and Amy are warm, welcoming, and always professional. Their lodge is extremely well run by a staff that takes great pride in what they do.

Here are a couple things that I would find helpful if I was searching for a fishing lodge:

The fishing. The fishing is good. Sometimes great. But mostly good. Never has a day gone by where we didn't catch our limit of walleye. On our best days we would put 20-30 fish in the boat each. On our worst day, maybe 10. Consistency is one of the lakes strong suits. Big fish for us were 4-5lbs although I have seen fish in the 7-8lb range.

The lake. Wabatongushi is large lake with many bays. finding the fish can be a little intimidating on the first visit. First timers should definitely go out with a guide. The guides are incredibly knowlegable of the lake and you'd be wise to make friends because they will put you on spots that consistently produce fish.

The food. Fresh home cooked meals. It's great. In a time when most people eat dinner out of a take out box, it is a wonderful change of pace to sit down to authentic home cooked meals at the end of a long day. Shore lunch is an experience in and of itself. Fresh caught walleye and pike cooked over an open fire with a side of potatoes and eating it while looking out over the lake is something I look forward to all year long.

The value. One of the things I appreciate most about Loch Island. There are no hidden costs. I've been to lodges that nickle and dime you to death. That is not the case here. When you choose the American Plan, everything is included. Boat, gas, bait, ice, breakfast, lunch, dinner and most importantly, a guide your first day. A fishing liscence is the only additional cost I remember incurring after arriving at the lodge. Also, being able to drive in saves a lot of money with out sacrificing that remote, one with nature feeling you get from some of the much higher priced fly in only lodges.

Comfort and Convenience. The cabins are clean and the beds are comfortable. The cabins are also very "tight". Meaning that, as long as you keep the doors closed, there is no way for the many mosquitos to get in. All the cabins have flushing toiletes and plenty of hot water for the shower. There is electricity 24hrs a day. Wireless intenet is also available and comes in really handy since there is no phone service in the area. I believe a radio and satellite phone are on hand in case of an emergency.

Overall, Loch Island is a wonderful lodge run by wonderful people in an absolutely beautiful setting. I have never left Loch Island disappointed. I have always left wishing for just one more day

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
9  Thank jaygasman
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I have been to Camp Localsh for seven trips in 16 years. It is the most quiet and peaceful place I know. And the fishing is outstanding; plentiful and good sized. The staff is so nice and helpful. You are pampered and so well taken care of. This is not roughing it! It is worth every penny. See you next year at shore lunch!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
6  Thank always4lions

Been to Loch Island Lodge? Share your experiences!