We stayed here in mid June 2013, having decided on Conversano as it was within a reasonable driving distance of Brindisi. The hotel is not far from the Castle. Park at the AGIP garage just below the castle on the main road into the town and walk to the hotel, which from memory is the second right past the castle in the main square the hotel staff were efficient and helpful with a speedy check in. We had a very nice room, sparsely furnished, but with some excellent Italian tiles in the room and bathroom. We looked out onto the backs of other buildings and the balcony below was very close and we overlooked the guests below. The room had air con and a mossi plug in supplied which was very much appreciated.
We had no complaints about the hotel, we didn’t eat there, using the local restaurants, the ones in the main square were fine, but the best one we found was, from the hotel entrance past the main church keeping it onto your right then into the square and going slightly right, but straight on – just past the square you will find an open air restaurant which was very reasonably priced and excellent local food.
This is a spa hotel and the spa is nice however we were disappointed to find “Premier Inn” style soap dispensers in the bathroom – not really promoting their spa image which you could have easily done with some nice toiletries in the room-bit of a missed opportunity in our view.
Breakfast was good, no complaints and the staff were always helpful, however, having stayed at a lot of Italian hotels, this was rather corporate and not particularly personal. We enjoyed Conversano, particularly the restaurants and in the main square one night was a Beatles tribute band, the “No Where Men” who are apparently a renowned cover band. They were excellent, although the Beatles wigs were a bit rough and akin to a Monty Python style sketch, a good night though.
We spent a good hour looking for the Peacock which you can clearly hear throughout the day – we suspect it either lives high up on the roofs or is a recording played to make tourists walk round the town in search of it !!!
Would we return – yes probably although we wouldn’t stay more than a couple of nights.
Would we recommend the hotel – Yes it is a nice place to stay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star hotel "Corte Altavilla" is an old medieval court situated in a residential area of the historical centre of Conversano, (City of Art). It stands on a hill, 8 km far from the sea, near the area of the "trulli" and the "grottoes." In 1100 beautiful and young Sibilla d'Altavilla lived here, who were Roberto Courtehouse's wife, the son of William II the Conqueror. Sibilla, missed queen of England, is buried inside the cathedral of Rouen, in Normandy.Following a complete restoration in 2002, a very unusual complex of antique dwellings, located within the walls of the medieval Altavilla court, has been transformed into a receptive centre with hotel rooms, elegant suites and apartments where original stone built rooms with whitewashed plasters, barrel vaults and wooden beams charm the guests. Nothing is made by chance: attention to the details, to the smallest things, in order to make everything elegant and sumptuous, between the past and the present, an harmonic contrast between the modern and the old.Discretion, kindness and helpfulness of our staff at the reception meet your needs to suggest itineraries from the cliffs of Polignano to the "trulli" of Alberobello, from the landscape of the Itria Valley to the "grottoes" of Castellana, and then the "white city" of Ostuni, Frederick II and Castel del Monte, the "rocks" of Matera, Salento, farmhouses, rocky churches: in a word: Apulia. The 31 dwellings (suites and rooms) are equipped with all modern comforts: direct control air conditioning, satellite TV, direct telephone, safes, free internet wi fi, fire alarm, minibar and kitchen area (available in some rooms). On request we have a Junior Suite with hydromassage bath tub.Also available: solarium terrace, concierge/information desk, bikes, transfer facilities and chauffeur, daily excursions by car or on boat all around the area; thermarium spa, cookery course and parking area. In the morning at our restaurant on the terrace with a beautiful view of the old town, you can have breakfast buffet: orange juice, yoghurts, different cereals, croissants, cakes and tarts, bread of a local baker's, toasted bread, marmalades, seasonal fresh fruit, taralli, cheese and salami, eggs.For dinner our chef offers a typical regional cuisine using fresh seasonal products and every day it proposes different menus which enclose the history and the culinary customs of our town. IN SHORT: Every room offers the following service: Free internet Wi fi, sat TV, heat/cold air conditioning with remote control, telephone, Internet connection socket, safe, hairdryer, kitchen area (on request in Standard rooms), minibar and smoke alarm. Internet Wi fi free of charge is in available in 100% of rooms and public areas. In the common area: Free Interne Wi fi free of charge, lounge, free Internet point, typical cuisine restaurant on the terrace with the view of the old city, 2 meeting halls, hall with reading area and courtesy cafe, solarium, lift, free parking service, thermarium spa. Furthermore, we have at our guests disposal: rental bikes, transfer service, organized excursions around Apulia, cookery course, boat or cruise excursions, riding school at 5 km far, olive oil bottles on sale with Corte Altavilla mark. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and HRS so you can book your Corte Altavilla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Corte Altavilla Hotel Conversano
- Holiday Inn Bari
- Corte Altavilla Bari
- Corte Altavilla Conversano, Italy - Puglia