“The Best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Merkur
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“The Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The Merkur is the best in all areas for hotel choice in Ramstein area. The staff and owners are very accommodating and you won't be disappointed! It is smoker friendly, but the ventilation system is excellent and you won't know it in the common areas. Highly recommended and your best choice in the area!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank rodeweary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chania Town, Greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We choose this hotel because it was the highest rated in the area and were pretty disappointed. We paid about 200 euro a night for a quadruple room, which was just a double room with the (small) couch make into a bed and an additional rollaway bed, making for a very tight squeeze.

My main problem with this hotel was the smoking in the lobby; the lobby/bar area is quite small and even when there was no one smoking it smelled dirty, like stale smoke and the smell drifted throughout the hotel. One afternoon I went to the front desk to ask a question and found an employee smoking in the bar.

We had a problem with our credit card (fraud alert since we were traveling) while we were staying here and the man at the front desk was not helpful at all. He couldn't tell me how much a phone call would cost or how I might make a collect call and made no attempt to be helpful.

The service was also lacking in the dining area; though breakfast time was posted as lasting until 9:30, by 8:30 a lot of the food was gone and was not replenished, nearly all the tables were dirty and it took awhile to get a hot cup of coffee. The was also an odd sign requesting you not take food back to your room that seemed directed at Americans.

The only thing going for this hotel was the location and only then if you have to be close to the air base, which I believe is where they get most of their business (and why they can charge so much). There are many nice small hotels in Germany, this isn't one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank amynielsen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I think we have as much right to an opinion of Hotel Merkur as anyone. We lived there, continuously, for 95 nights--our home while we looked for a home!

Merkur was our retreat and our respite. Always quiet. Always immaculately clean. We slept great in the bed, and may call them up to ask the brand of mattress! The restaurant was uniformly excellent, whether dining in, or room service. A short walk to several other restaurants and a movie theater, and an easy walk to several more. A very short commute to Ramstein Air Base, and not too far from Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, either.

When we had to extend, several times, the staff worked very hard to hold our room for us.

When we move back to the States, we get 30 more nights in hotel, and we're spending them all at Merkur.

Room Tip: Suites are hardly more expensive than rooms, and can make a long stay very comfortable. For a single...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MrHistorian
Colorado, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Enjoyed my week at the hotel. I got the Suite for 1 person which worked well with table space for laying our work, etc. The pictures for the suite are very accurate. They speak English very well so no issues there. They were very friendly at all times - greeting you when you come in and when you leave (not just when you check-in/out). The bar/lounge area is nice, but did not spend too much time there. The included breakfast was nice, not a big breakfast person myself, but did grab juice and something light usually. Did eat in the restaurant a couple of times and the food was very good. Thanks to Christine who seemed to always be working at the bar and/or restaurant when I was there - made good suggestions, remembered which beer I preferred, etc. ! It is close to downtown Landstuhl - probably would walk there if not late January and raining while I was there. Easy to get to Ramstein AB as well. Wireless internet was very good most of the time in my room (near the end of the hotel) (though believe they had Ethernet cable at the desk - could be wrong since did not use). Really no "cons" to this hotel. Though would suggest they update their light bulbs to brighter CFLs or LEDs (best). Overall brightness was a bit low in my room - at least for my preferences. Oh, TV channel selection for the English speaking folks is limited. Also, in my room, the Satellite Tuner / DVD player combo seemed to loose the ability to get certain channels, but turning it off/on brought them back (probably a bad unit / feed ?). But mostly listened to news channels (Sky, BBC, etc,) while working anyway...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I travel often in my job. This place always makes me feel at home one Great!!!! Place to stay! I would recommand this hotel to any one. I call it my home away from home! I really believe it is the best in the area regardless of the price.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Lemoncellodave
Landstuhl, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Nothing fancy but a very nice and comfortable hotel in Landstuhl, Germany. EZ access to autobahn, 50 mins to Saarbrucken and 50 mins to Frankfurt. Great high speed internet for my TV viewing from home using slingbox device with my sling media. Breakfast included, I consider one of the best to offer for the price. All staffs are very friendly and helpful.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Second floor has a great WIFI connection.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Wassenaar, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is a nice hotel. I stayed with my family (two kids) in a suite. We had a bedroom, and a fold out couch in the other room. Plenty of room for four. Instant coffee and tea in the room, and a small microwave to heat water (or anything else). There was also a small fridge. DVD and tv with many channels. Plenty of english TV. In our room you needed to watch TV through the DVD player, which was not explained and took some trial and error to figure out. No TV in the bedroom, which is a little unusual these days, but not a big problem.

The front desk is not 24 hours, so if you are arriving late, make sure you notify them. They have a night check in system that worked well.

There is a gym. Breakfast was included, and good. Typical european breakfast, but also pancakes and french toast. There is also a restaurant which we did not use. The restaurant is closed on Saturdays.

Only partial negative is the location. Kind of away from anything, in an "industrial" type area. You will need a car, but there is free parking. It is only a couple of minutes drive from the airbase, and a little further from Ramstein-Miesenbach.

Overall a nice, clean, friendly place. We would stay again if we were in this area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank VirginiaHavoc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramstein-Miesenbach
Hotel Europa Ramstein
#5 of 8 in Ramstein-Miesenbach
Hotel Schattner
Hotel Schattner
#7 of 21 in Kaiserslautern

Been to Hotel Merkur? Share your experiences!