All reviews plunge pool tree house yoga platform private beach howler monkeys paddle boards our honeymoon meal plan remote area full kitchen unique experience ocean view restaurant staff yoga retreat clams crashing waves fishing trip
Reviewed June 3, 2017

A large group of friends recently went to celebrate two friends birthdays and it was truly a memorable long weekend. The villas are modern, clean, and many have plunge pools on decks. If you are a beach lover, then be sure to ask for a villa nearer to the beach. There are a lot of stairs to climb if you are located nearer to reception area. It is a magical place where you will hear hollering monkeys in the AM. Be aware to keep sweets, cookies in the frig as the monkeys did pay some of our friends a visit to snack! The beach is fantastic and the staff is very accommodating to provide cushions for the chaises and towels. Kudos to Stephanie and Christian who really helped make everything right for our group! Charlotte and the restaurant and bar staff went out of their way to make meals and happy hours rock! This resort is several hours from Managua airport and other than Playa Gigante which is a 25 minute hike nearby, one is truly in a remote area.

Room tip: If you are not into climbing stairs stay close to the beach which is near restaurant as well.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2017 via mobile

My fiancé and I were at Aqua Wellness Resort for 4 days during Memorial Day Weekend. We arrived around 11 AM and were told that we would be staying in Yuca. After finding out that treehouse did not have a pool, we asked to be changed to one with a pool since we paid extra just for that. We were then assigned to Iguana luxury suite which according to them did not have as good of a view as Yuca but we were fine with that as long as we had a pool.

Since we arrived early, our tree house wasn't cleaned yet so we dropped off our suitcases while housekeeping cleaned it. After a couple of hours, we returned and we were amazed with our tree house! It had a full kitchen, a dining room, a pool, and the upstairs room was perfect! It was better than what we were expecting and we had a pretty good view!

Before our trip, I did a lot of research on the hotel and the nearby town of Gigante. I read a lot of reviews that talked about the food at the hotel being overpriced, which it was, so we went prepared to have a few meals in Gigante. The path to Gigante from Aqua was not as easy to walk as I thought it would be. The path has a lot of uphills and by the time you make it to Gigante (20-30 minutes later) you will most likely be drenched in sweat. The food at Gigante was great (machele's place, mirador margarita, Gigante bay) and it was very cheap compared to the hotel. If walking back at night, I would recommend a flashlight since the path is not lighted at all (the hotel also offers pickup for $10 each way). We bought some groceries at the pulpería in Gigante so that we could make some meals in our kitchen.

The pool at our place was great and it was nice having the option of relaxing there so I would definitely recommend a tree house with a pool since there's no community pool.

The master was amazing and the bed was so comfortable! We both slept great and the AC worked really well.

We only ate the Aqua restaurant one night and I must admit that the food was good. We both ordered the churrasco and it was amazing! I do suggest to go out and eat somewhere else because the same menu every day can get boring really fast.

We went to the beach one day and it was very nice and calm.

We also got the Aqua massage at the spa and it was great! There were A LOT of steps to get up to the spa but the view was amazing!!!

I definitely recommend this resort to anyone visiting Nicaragua. It was such a great experience and it was our first time staying in a resort like this and we definitely enjoyed ourselves. There are a lot of steps in this resort but we were lucky that for our tree house there weren't as many steps compared to other tree houses. But in general be prepared to walk a lot.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank aliciafe13
Reviewed May 24, 2017

I was at Aqua for 12 days in May as a solo female traveller.

Exceptional location and amenities. You hear the ocean waves clearly from everywhere on the resort. Rooms are private and clean - the housekeeper even scrubbed my shoes clean after a hike in the mud! I would strongly urge you to choose a room with a private spa tub, it was highly worth it. There are MANY stairs to climb to get to some of the houses. Inquire with Aqua prior to booking how many stairs you will have to climb to reach your room from the beach if this is a concern. For example, mine was 186 stairs and I wasn't even the highest house. Great workout when you do it 3-4 times/day!

The yoga classes, led by Mandy, were phenomenal. She varies her routines daily and adapts to your needs when the groups are smaller. I had an "Integrative Yoga Healing Therapy" session, a type of massage, for 60$USD and it was one of the highlights of my trip. I went to both sessions daily and I left with my mind and body feeling incredibly better than when I initially got there.

The beach is calm, and noisy people with music were only present on 1-2 of my 12 day trip (Saturdays). You can borrow all equipment at the beach (snorkeling, SUP) and John the beach attendant is very sweet.

Food was high quality and there was a large variety of meals to choose from. Expect to pay 10-15$USD for breakfast and lunch and $25-30USD for dinners, excluding drinks and appetizers. Drinks are expensive. I preferred not to take the "Meal Plan" option and to eat 1-2 meals/day with snacks stored in my fridge, which helped alleviate the costs. You can get a small amount of food at Playa Gigante, which is a 20 minute walk away through the jungle. However, arriving to the resort with food bought on your way is probably the best way to do it because a proper grocery store is about a 30-45 minute cab ride away. They have a few restaurants in Playa Gigante which are cheaper too if you feel like exploring a bit.

Staff were generally very helpful. A lady at the front desk even let me borrow her Iphone charger every day when mine broke 4 days before getting home!

All in all, I would return to Aqua in the future. I feel refreshed and relaxed and ready to face the big challenges that await me in the next few months. Try it out!

A few tips:

1) If you speak minimally in Spanish, you can get much cheaper taxis than the Shuttle Service they provide. I went with locals and consistently was able to get 1/3 to 1/2 of the price Aqua asked for.

2) Everything you buy will be charged with taxes/fees. You must add 10 + 15 = 25% to everything you buy. Just to keep in mind. Also review your bill when you check out. They put automatic fees for restaurant service and housekeeping.

Beach is quiet

Room tip: Pick a room with a personal spa tub - totally worth it
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2017 via mobile

Natural stunning hotel ... The service is excellent the only inconvinient is that is not suitable for older people or people with any physical inconvinient there are so many stairs off you r room is on top of the mountain!!! If is raining you cannot get out of the room!!! I was extremely happy with my house keeper her name is Amparo she made my stay wonderful she was so sweet and polite and always helping me with everything !!!

Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2017 via mobile

Just to be clear, I am not the target customer for this Resort even though I am love nature and enjoy the outdoors a lot. The hotel provides an interesting offer for those how love nature and fitness. The rooms are distributed within the forest and high above the ground which makes it definitely not for handicapped of persons or persons with special mobility needs. From my personal view I loved the small pool beside the room with outstanding views of the forest and the ocean it gives the sense of seclusion. On the downsides there are a few, first the physical effort you must go through to go from the restaurant (which is at beach level) to your room. You will have to climb a gargantuan number of steps therefore I will not recommend this Resort for anyone with a heart condition. Second, we could not access room service and therefore could not get beverages or beer while enjoying the pool, and third but not least; and can dig the howling monkeys, birds, the sound of waves and wilderness but cannot stand bugs, of all kinds, inside my room and bed while sleeping. They were crawling over me and my wife at all times and therefore did not enjoy my overnight sleep. This is the sole reason why I cannot give a good rating.

1  Thank josez923
Aqua R, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2017

Dear Jose Z,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review letting us know about your experience at Aqua.
Our resort offers luxury eco-lodge accommodations and is situated at the edge of a lush forest in an amphitheater setting. The tree houses were built off the forest floor so not to disturb the flora and fauna thus allowing our guests to be in the canopy with the local wildlife including Howler monkeys and an variety of birds. In turn, there are stairs on the property that many enjoy as part of the wellness experience.
Even though it is the rainy season and we are on the edge of a forest, we make every effort to make our rooms bug free by providing screens on the windows along with our daily housekeeping and a 24 hour maintenance crew for any issues that may arise after hours. If our guests bring any issues to our attention, we are more than happy to rectify things so that their stay is comfortable and relaxing.
I apologize you were not able to use our room service which is available during restaurant hours. Our guests can also call the Front Desk in order to arrange room service.
Perhaps your next visit to Aqua during the non-rainy season in a room closer to the beach would be better suited for you.
We would love to have you come back.