“Third time here - blissful hotel never disappoints”

Albatroz Beach & Yacht Club
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed October 11, 2012

See my previous two reviews. This July, we stayed at the Albatroz for the third time since 2010, and we keep coming back for the same reasons: a beautiful hotel, excellent service, excellent food, and a peaceful setting. It's the perfect place to relax, and we hardly ever left the place as the hotel and grounds had everything we needed. Can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife & I have just returned from our first holiday in the beautiful island of Madeira having stayed for two weeks at the Albatroz Hotel near Santa Cruz. An exceptional hotel where everyone from Goncalo Nunes the Director through every staff member proved to be extremely competent and helpful. On arrival at reception (after being picked up at the nearby airport) we were greeted by Goncalo with the words "welcome to paradise" and indeed it proved to be pretty close.
A small private hotel which is expertly run, the food excellent & the accommodation second to none. Well done the Albatroz and we certainly intend to return.

Jim & Margaret Baird
Scotland

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Albatroz staff could not have been more welcoming; this is a hotel where the employees go above and beyond what's expected.
On emailing the hotel a day before our trip asking whether there was a shuttle bus, I received a prompt reply from the hotel (in better English than many people I deal with at home!) offering to collect us from the airport, which they duly did the following evening.

On arrival we received a basket of fruit welcoming us to the hotel, and enjoyed a good night's sleep, waking up to a beautiful sunrise and an ocean view.
Our room had a huge bed, sofa, table with two chairs, big flat screen TV (with BBC news and entertainment) and a fridge (and safe too).

The breakfast each morning is very pleasant with a good selection of food, and a chef is always on hand to cook omelettes and other items to order, which was a pleasant surprise.

There are 3 pools; a fresh water one at the hotel level, and two salt water ones at sea level (both of which offer even stronger sun and great snorkelling).

Santa Cruz itself was about a 10 minute standard walking pace (we're both 34); the only very slight niggle I had was that the first few hundred metres of the walk is down a pavement next to a dual carriageway; although there are barriers it's a shame there isn't enough room to put in a separate path - but that's not the hotel's fault; from that point on it's an easy walk along the coast with no roads nearby which is very pleasant.

It was a very quiet and peaceful place; even though the airport is right above the hotel on a cliff you barely hear it during the day or evening; in fact you hear it more if you're in town.

There's also a lounge on the first floor with a PC where you can use the Internet, and there's a wireless signal available throughout the hotel which is great if you need to stay in touch with things back home.

The only slight (and these are really small) thing I'd have improved would have been to suggest having background music or even radio playing at breakfast - it's a little quiet otherwise and people tend to be very hushed as there's very little background noise - it's a small hotel, and my girlfriend and I thought it would have made people more comfortable to chat.

That aside, wonderful stay, and the staff (and everyone on the island in fact) all seem to be multi-lingual so we almost felt bad speaking English all the time!
On our last morning we missed breakfast and the staff made us sandwiches to eat in the airport - this is the sort of lovely people they are!

Thank you Albatroz, we may well be back again when we need a well earned rest! :)

Room Tip: Having stayed on a ground floor room I would recommend a first floor room for a bit more privacy as...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GHinton
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed at the Albatroz for one night before returning home after 2 weeks on Madeira in the end of July. We enjoyed swimming in the ocean, relaxing in the bar and had a good dinner. It was on a Saturday and there was a big wedding held in the hotel which made it somewhat more noisy at night than I am sure it usually is. No noise from the airport though! The room was large and we had everything we needed. Great service! A perfect place to stay for a day or two either coming to Madeira or leaving.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed from 22-27th of June in this lovely hotel.Our room was on the ground-floor with a beautifel view to the Atlantic Ocean. What a great place to stay, we feeled like God in France..UNBE We had a great stay in Albatroz Hotel.
Thank you to the general director Mr. Pereira da Silva for his kindness and good service for this unique beach hotel.
Congratulations for the whole staff. With kindly regards.
Mrs Barbara Vanhove
Belgium

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stefaan V
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This hotel was a really great find. I needed a hotel very close to airport for a very early 7 AM flight to Porto and thought I would simply walk from hotel to airport (20 minutes), but that was not even necessary as they brought me by car even so early.
The location is VERY quiet, next to airport but you don't hear the planes at all.
There's a highway between hotel and airport and you do hear the traffic in the fresh water pool but nowhere else. They have 2 salt water pools down below at ocean, a small one and a very big one.
I was nearly the only guest now so had all facilities to myself and was alone in the restaurant, but they assured me that they will be fairly full from April.
Rooms are big (44 m2), with sitting area and good bathroom with bath. Balcony or terrace. The 1st floor rooms with balcony are of course more private. There's an elevator.
Nice garden. Restaurant with quite good prices and quality. No candles on the tables so not quite so romantic as I like but couples won't care. Tennis court and they have a shuttle to the golf course in Santo da Serra.
Library with lots of books (only English as far as I saw), free internet PC there and games table.
A big TV there too with lots of channels including a Dutch one (BVN). In the rooms less channels (about 40) on a much smaller TV but not very small.
Very comfortable, soft enough beds and I am very picky. Left other hotels when they had only hard beds.
All rooms are twin rooms but these 2 beds can be joined together with no hole in between (being zipped together).
Service was best I ever had anywhere. The male receptionist Carlos brought me somewhere TWICE and the new receptionist lady was also very nice and so was everyone.
I had no breakfast by this early flight but they brought me sandwiches the night before.
Coffee and tea in the room and a FREE FRUIT BASKET at arrival !! (about 10 pieces of various fruit).
All in all my best find in a long long time and the quietness and space were the best.

The flight was a great disappointment I thought it would be fairly empty, but it was totally full on a Saturday morning.

Room Tip: I think the top floor is best (balcony more private than the terrace on ground floor).
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank dutchguy
Reviewed January 24, 2012

After 25yrs married to a hill farmer I planned our trip so an outdoors man would have a good time....WOW this Hotel is wonderful not only the Sea pools,Fresh water pool,Rooms,Garden views,Food. The staff cannot do enough for you, what a team they make. If you just want to chill & read a book, walk down to the local town along the sea front. Good base to find the treasures of this wonderful island. Only a small hotel but run to the highest standards 5* plus.
If you want to find the true island ask the staff, they will help you all they can. Try the little custard tarts at breakfast Husband is addicted !
We Will Be Back !

Room Tip: All stunning all have sea views, we liked the first floor.... but ground floor would be perfect for...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
26 mi away
Aqua Natura Madeira Hotel
Aqua Natura Madeira Hotel
#1 of 5 in Porto Moniz

Been to Albatroz Beach & Yacht Club? Share your experiences!