“Comfortable Stay”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Bedford
“Comfortable Stay”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We only stayed one night - moved on to another part of Madeira. Room was clean and comfortable and to a high standard. We ate in the Hotel's restaurant and it was good quality and not over-priced. We would stay again and are happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaulaBedford
VilaGaleHoteis, Manager at Vila Gale Santa Cruz, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments and we want to say thank you for the time you spent with us and giving us your feedback.

We would be most pleased to welcome you on a future visit to Madeira.

Best Regards.

Sofia Ribeiro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Folkestone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Have just returned from a wonderful holiday with friends and family, this being our first visit to this hotel, although group we went with have been before and was recommended by them.
Well what can I say, the hotel itself was amazing, rooms spotless and food I thought was great and plentiful.
The staff from top to bottom were amazing, always having time to say hello and help in any way they could despite them being busy, in fact I would go as far to say that we were spoilt.
Close to the airport but after a day or so I found it fun trying to spot the different types of plane landing although in the course of a day not that many.
Found plenty of room to lay around the pool which was always kept clean and having the pool bar made it perfect.
I know, having looked thru these reviews, that you cannot please everyone but in my opinion,
the hotel and all staff were first class. I would definitely recommend and will certainly be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank penfold6
VilaGaleHoteis, Manager at Vila Gale Santa Cruz, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review shared with so many other holiday makers of tripadvisor.

It is rewarding to know that you had a positive holiday experience at the Vila Gale Santa Cruz hotel.

I will proudly share your thoughts with our Staff. They will be most pleased to receive it.

We would be most pleased to welcome you again.

Colchester
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was our fourth visit to Vila Gale, although it was 2 years since our last trip, so I will be completely honest in my latest appraisal.

First thing that has to be said is that the Hotel is great but it is the staff who make it fantastic, from the reception, to the bar and restaurant to the cleaners, everybody, they do a superb job under a lot of pressure at times and always with a smile. As I said this is our fourth trip , a lot of the staff have been there every time and we always feel like we are among friends, the Manageress , Sofia, should be very proud of the team she has around her.

Since our visit in 2011 some things have changed, the first of which is the new assistant manager, Andre, who is quite simply superb, he works tirelessly to make sure everybody is happy, is always courteous and polite and a thoroughly nice man.

Secondly the hotel is obviously becoming more popular and was far busier than we have seen it before. Having said that, we were a party of six and not once during our 12 day stay did we have any problem at all with sunbeds which I have seen complaints about. We would usually go round the pool between 10 - 11 in the morning and always managed to find six together. I can only assume that in the height of summer this area is even more popular but with the amount of space they have available I cannot see how they can change this, the only option would be to remove the gardens at the front and I think that would be a bad thing. Unfortunately you will always come up against the inconsiderate idiots who insist on leaving towels on beds they have no intention of using, but the management do their best to keep this to a minimum.

In our opinion the food was better this time, the dishes seemed to be kept hotter than previously and the grill where the food is cooked fresh is great. I cannot believe that you cannot find something to eat amongst the variety of food that is served in the buffet restaurant and I think some of the complaints that I have seen should bear that point in mind, it is a Buffet and you will never please everybody.

We ate twice in the A La Carte restaurant, the menu in there has changed a lot since before, for the better, but if I was to be totally honest I think it would be better to take off the A La Carte bit. Don't get me wrong the food is excellent, and it is so nice to be able to have waitress service and spend time over your meal. I just feel that sometimes people see the words A La Carte and get the wrong impression.

The rooms are always spotless, as is the rest of the hotel, although I must admit I did find the bed a little too firm this time and whilst I understand the reason for it being there , the plastic sheet under the actual sheet can make it a little uncomfortable on a warm night. The air con is very good though.

The pool is always fresh, but invigorating and the pool bar is great for snacks and drinks whilst relaxing and I have already covered the sunbed situation. Background music round the pool could be a little more up to date, but it is never too noisy.

Entertainment in the main bar is limited ,shall we say, but then I do understand the reasons behind this, price being one of them, this is not a hotel for partygoers and it is difficult to get the right sort of acts, especially as the bar is nearly always empty by 11:00 at night. Having said that on the Sunday night they had a solo singer there called Miguel who was very very good, just him and backing tracks and a great voice. Even then a party of ladies came in sat down and complained to Andre that he was too loud. Like I say you will never please everybody.

Overall this is still one of, if not the best hotels I have stayed n and I would recommend it to anybody without a moments hesitation, for the staff alone.

I would though just like to point out one thing that we did find extremely annoying and this has absolutely nothing to do with the hotel or its staff at all.

During the first few days of our stay, there were a lot of shall we say our Eastern European Common Market friends staying , who seemed to think that All Inclusive meant Exclusive to them. Queue jumping was normal for them, along with a constant stream of one or another of their party ordering huge rounds of drinks at the pool or main bar, which lead to queues building up, as for the restaurant again they would just walk to the front of any queue, I saw many of them eat a course at a table , go outside for even more drink and then come back in and sit at a completely different table for the next course, making even more work for the staff. We Brits get absolutely castigated abroad for our behaviour sometimes but I tell you what , these people could teach us a thing or two.
Fortunately this was not true of all of them, others were fine.

Room Tip: Always try for a sea view room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JTOWN60
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your feedback about your fourth visit to Madeira and our hotel in particular.

It so rewarding to know that you and your friends had a positive experience with us and therefore we all wish to welcome you in our Hotel on a future visit to Madeira.

Thank you also for the public praise of some of my team colleagues. I am sure they will be most pleased to receive your thoughts.

Best regards.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

my husband and I booked our first abroad holiday together after 23 years together and we were not disappointed. booked this hotel on the basis of the reviews on here. we had paid extra for a sea view and were not happy with the first choice of room given, could only just see the sea,but asked joana on reception to be moved and was given another room that had a fantastic view room 2018, there was no fuss just a lovely smile. overall cleanliness of the hotel was superb, the restaurant was staffed by friendly waiters/waitresses Dionzio was always so helpful and served us with a smile, he obviously enjoys his job. Food was plentiful and lots of choice and was presented well. Would recommend a visit to the spa for 11 euros you can use the Jacuzzi swimming pool steam sauna rooms and gym, you can come and go for the whole day. We chose to pay for a romantic Romeo and Juliet full body massage which we found to be given in the utmost professional manner (thank you so much Cataria and Cara ) I also had a manicure and pedicure which was very reasonable and it was nice to chat to Cara. if you choose to have a treatment then you do not have to pay the 11 euros.The rooms were very clean and bed linen was changed once and towels were changed every other day. The chamber maids were always friendly. The swimming pool was very clean just like the rest of the hotel, you can get towels from reception and as long as you return them you will not be charged the 10 euros each. Can get free wifi in lobby and in the bar but not in the bedrooms. Room has a safe free of charge just tap in your own code, also room has a small fridge great for keeping your water in, which of cause if all inclusive you get free !! If its entertainment you want from your holiday then this is probably not the hotel for you, a couple of nights there were different singers, and then a parrot show Mmmm, on a Wednesday there is a maderian night where dancers come to entertain you all in traditional dress,that was nice to watch. only thing I would say is the background music in the bar when there is no entertainment is repetitive and does grate on you after a while. That's the only thing we would have changed also in the day round the pool there is a background music of a piano !! I was grateful I had my I pod with me. Hotel offers a free shuttle service to funchal through out the day which we used twice just book at reception. We would definitely recommend this hotel as it has outstanding cleanliness and helpful staff, and will definitely return next year perhaps with friends.

Room Tip: we overlooked the sea but it is on the flight path to airport, but we enjoyed watching the planes an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flemingrocks
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time giving us feedback about your first holiday experience at Vila Galé Santa Cruz hotel.

It is rewarding to know that overall you had a positive experience and it will be a pleasure to welcome you on a future visit to Madeira,

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have just returned from this wonderful hotel, two weeks of excellent service, wonderful food, cleanliness amazing, staff couldn't have been more helpful and professional. For us wine drinkers what a treat the vila gale group of hotels have their own vineyard so the quality of wine on all inclusive was 5 star! I was there with my 11 year old son and he loved it! The first week we chilled by the pool taking in little strolls around the village of santa cruz then the second week we went dolphin/whale watching, jeep safari, water park (5mins walk from hotel), went into funchal for a meander then we went back into funchal for the cable car ride to monte and then a toboggan ride - fab! Really really enjoyed this hotel and would definitely go back 100% and I'm fussy!! So when you are reading other reviews about this hotel that are negative just remember we're all different but honestly FABULOUS!!! Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank MelissaandSam
Dear Guest,

Just a short note to let you know that we appreciate your "FABULOUS" review and to thank you for the time you spent with us and giving us your feedback.

We would be most pleased to to welcome you on a future visit to Madeira,

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Despite checking several times that a "triple room" would have 3 proper beds we still ended up with a twin and camp bed which was uncomfortable and had to be repaired several times throughout the stay. All the beds had plastic mattress covers and the one one the camp bed was ripped. The rooms are clean but not very spacious, the bathroom is finished to a high standard, roomy and very clean. A hand rail to assist access in and out of the shower over the bath would be useful although there is a phone if you do fall!
Some instructions or information on protocol etc would be helpful when you arrive in addition to the advice about reserving sun loungers which everybody ignores. Staff are on the whole friendly and helpful although advice can be a bit inconsistent.
Despite all of the above, due to the location, we would stay here again but may consider booking a second room for our teenager due to the amount paid extra for a camp bed.
The location of the hotel is good and close to the sea if you rather swim there instead of the pool. We had booked B&B so used the hotel as a base to explore the rest of the island.
Overall the hotel is clean and modern. Breakfast has plenty of variety but be aware of cross contamination between the cheeses and the cold meats as the same "tongs" are used fro both.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ErgoV
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review on TripAdvisor.

We apologise for not being able to provide you a good extra bed for your teenager.

On the other hand we were very glad with your cooments about our staff and therefore we hope that we can welcome you again.

Best Regards,

Soquel
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My Family and I stayed in Vila Gale, S.Cruz, Madeira Island on July 2013. We all had an EXCELLENT experience. Adults and children (7 and 10).
It was everything and more than I anticipated. This beautiful Hotel, very well kept, with fantastic views of the Atlantic Ocean and GREAT personnel were a delight...in the heart of a quiet and friendly city of Santa Cruz. It is the perfect location for this great Hotel. Thank you Ms. Sofia Ribeiro for the great training and example you set for your loyal employees. It shows! A very nice family atmosphere. " Um muito OBRIGADA a todos, com imensas saudades).
I will be visiting this location and other Vila Gale Hotels in the future.
My Family will not forget this wonderful vacation.

THANK YOU!

Flori Soder
( from California)

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view. Wow!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mrs. Flori Soder,

It was a big pleasure to welcome you again at Vila Galé Santa Cruz Hotel

Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor about our services and my team.

We hope that we can welcome you again on a near future.

Warm regards.

#2 of 13 in Canico
Pestana Ocean Bay Hotel
Pestana Ocean Bay Hotel
#32 of 86 in Funchal

Been to Vila Gale Santa Cruz? Share your experiences!