My wife and I spent a week at this hotel as a package through Thomson/First Choice. It was just about out of season and not many kids about! Our arrival was well received by the efficient, well spoken, receptionist. We were allocated room 1073 which was on the same level as the reception. A lovely room and did not smell of smoke as reported on other reviews. The double bed was massive and firm but very comfortable. The room was very modern and also big with a very nice bathroom. The balcony was a little narrow but fine. The only downside was that we paid extra for a sea view and although we could see the sea, it was restricted as there was a flat roof in front. We thought this was a little naughty but to be honest we could have complained but chose not to so our choice. The room was serviced daily with a sheet change once during the week. Toiletries were topped up daily. Clean and well furnished.
The hotel itself was well worthy of its 4 star rating with very well furnished public areas and immaculate. A small negative was that the public areas were quite warm and didnt seem to have air conditioning on. Again a disappointment was the fact that there were extra charges for internet (cable and wi-fi) when just 50 metres away there was free wi-fi available provided in the town square provided by Madeira. We thought this was not good for a quality hotel. The hotel also charges extra for use of the gym and indoor pool (11 Euros per day), again, disappointing for a quality hotel.
The outdoor pool was large and the surroundings well kept. During our stay we managed to get a sunbed but during high season this may have been a problem. Towels are supplied by the hotel but we only found this out after 3 days! Not a problem however as we had our own anyway.
The hotel provides a free minibus shuttle to Funchal. It is also fairly cheap and pleasant to catch one of the regular (every 15 mins) buses to Funchal and elsewhere.
We were staying on an 'all inclusive' basis. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner was on a buffet basis with snacks and ice cream available at any other time. Drinks were availabe which included, tea/coffee etc and also any soft drink, beers, spirits, local liquor and wines. There was a cocktail of the day.
The food was excelent with a good choice and changed daily. Waiters and waitresses were attentive.
Santa Cruz grew on us. A very quiet town/village with not much in the way of shops and a few bars which looked a little drab to us. Lovely views to sea from the promenade and views to the hills from everywhere else. The town has a waterpark within walking distance as well as a small shopping centre (nothing to get excited about!) with a supermarket for your cheap bits and pieces.
Being near the airport was absolutely fine. We could see the edge of the runway (nothing else) from our balcony and in fact it was rather nice to watch the infrequent plaaes coming and going. With the balcony doors shut there was no noise at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This beach hotel in Santa Cruz (Madeira) is situated directly beside the sea. Funchal is just 15 minutes away, while Funchal airport is only 5 minutes from the hotel. The promenade and the aqua park are also nearby. There are also stony and pebble beaches in the area. The hotel, which was built in 2006, has a total of 262 room on 4 floors, where we feature 4 junior suites suitable for families. The hotel offers a fully air-conditioned environment with spacious lobby, lifts, 24-hour reception, hotel safe, three bars, two restaurants and parking facilities. It has congress centre (890 m²), room and laundry services, as well as a kids club and games room. All rooms with en suite bathroom, balcony, air conditioning, individually adjustable central heating, direct dial phone, clock, satellite TV, CD / DVD player, radio, safe deposit box, hair-dryer, fax / modem connection, minibar, electronic security lock and 24 hour-room service. It offers an outdoor swimming pool for adults and children, indoor swimming pool (for a fee) and spa facilities with Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room / Turkish bath, Vichy room, a gym, studio for classes, 4 massage and treatments rooms, physician's office. The nearest golf course is only 10 minutes away and the hotel provides a golf desk and clubs closet. A breakfast buffet is served each morning. Lunch and dinner may be eaten from a buffet or a la carte. The following are all accepted as methods of payment: American Express, MasterCard and VISA. There is a transfer service to Funchal available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Expedia, Priceline, Otel, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Vila Gale Santa Cruz reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vila Gale Santa Cruz Hotel Santa Cruz
- Vila Gale Hotel Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Vila Gale
- Vila Gale Madeira
- Vila Gale Santa Cruz Madeira