Santa Cruz Village Hotel
$95
  • Pool
    • Pool
    • Restaurant
    Enotel Golf Santo da Serra(Santo Antonio da Serra Machico)
    • Breakfast included
    All reviewsclose to the airportyogurttea coffeereception staffhire carlocal busesmotorwaycatalinanoisefunchalmadeiraeurosproximitypromenadeponchasunbedsbalconies
    Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband and I booked to stay at the Santa Catarina for two weeks through Direct Line after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor. What a mistake! We seemed to be staying at an entirely different hotel to the one reviewed here. I must admit the location was very good, nice peaceful village, close to sea front, 3 or 4 restaurants to choose from each evening and the weather was lovely. Having said that, I'm afraid it goes down hill from here on in.

On booking the hotel the confirmation read "twin room with mountain view". Our view was of a large stone chimney about 10 feet away and beyond that another part of the hotel. The room (108) was small and decidedly shabby. There were holes in the curtains and the material covering the end of the divan bed was ripped badly. There was lots of hanging space, but extremely little draw space. We found only 6 coathangers (not enough to accommodate clothes for a 2 week holiday) and when we asked if it would be possible to have some more we were sent another 4 and told that was all they had as the hotel was full. We ended up buying more and leaving them there. The shower gel and soap were not replenished daily, so bought our own.

Breakfast time was a nightmare. There was only ever one member of staff "on duty" who did not seem in the least interested in filling up the buffet. Often there were no tables laid, no cups available, no fruit, coffee etc and when we asked for these items it took a long time for them to appear.

There was a notice in reception stating that there was a "happy hour" in the bar between 6pm and 7pm, but when my husband went down to the bar at 6.45pm he was charged full price for his drink. When he questioned this the barman told him in no uncertain terms that "happy hour" was from 5.30pm to 6.30pm. My husband took the notice from Reception to show the barman who said it was "wrong". After enquiring of the Receptionist what time "happy hour" was she spoke to the barman to confirm it was 6pm to 7pm. He seemed particularly unimpressed and remained arrogant and rude. His attitude was very poor and we therefore did not go into the bar again during our two week stay. Their loss, our gain perhaps.

Although the hotel was supposed to be full, there were only ever a maximum of 9 sun loungers around the pool.

Although it stated in the bedroom literature about the hotel that stamps were available, when we went to buy some they only had 3. We were told they would have more the next day. The next day we were advised to go to the Airport if we wanted stamps.

We very much enjoyed Madeira as a holiday destination, Santa Cruz was lovely, but how the Santa Catarina can boast 4 stars I fail to see.

Room Tip: Don't know if there are any.
    • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed June 9, 2012

Fly over seems to be cut out of alot of pictures, so beware. Dont say you wernt warned. Big rooms and bathroom cleaned daily by friendly staff. Large pool with flyover behind. Doesn’t matter till 5pm when you need to move your sun bed. This is one of the reasons for the low price- You do hear noise from the fly over unless you close your balcony window, especially early mornings. The flyover was built to take the traffic away from the lovely village of Santa Cruz.
    This is a Portuguese resort at local prices and with excellent service, unlike in Funchal. Several times I was overcharged in Funchal whereas here they corrected any mistake and often gave a discount or extra drink. Often I spent time in cheap bars where I was the only tourist with many locals. They always made me feel at home, asking me what snack I would like as an extra and insisting on me trying samples of their local brews. Remember- early closing for the majority of bars here, so you need to go out earlier. Nothing much to keep you out till the early hours. Also a hearing aid and walking stick are not compulsory here as in Funchal.
    Breakfast was 3 hot items with usual selection of cheese/salami. Bit disappointed with weak orange squash from the dodgy machine, though the excellent fruit salad made up for it. I walked from the airport- took well over half hour, saved a taxi fare but broke the wheels on my case! Wouldn’t do it again. If you want to try it you must find a way of getting to the other side of the motorway, before taking the sea path. There is a way, but I didn’t find it. It would have been a lot quicker. Internet – wi fi- is available in Santa Cruz. I often sat on the sea wall or outside the church surfing and sending e mails, and all for free!

Room Tip: You will here noise from wherever unless you close balcony door. Higher floors near fly over. Didnt really need air con as always a breeze.
    • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
    5  Thank Danny100
    Reviewed January 11, 2012

Location is perfect, being a small village anyway its fine! I know the way around as I am from there anyway, but for anybody who doesn't know it... you cannot go wrong staying here! Extremely cheap, good service, good location, good pool. Everything is good!

The down sides is the buffet is not very good and the staff at the reception are unhelpful and miserable. The main thing that annoys me is when you get people staying there who moan constantly. A lot of people go there in the middle of august (family season) and expect no splashing or loud talking. It just frustrates me because people like this should be staying in a quiet place in the mountains or in a luxurious 5* hotel which would cost a bomb!

They also come and clean the room everyday with leaves it spotless every time you get back from the beach!

Great value for money, very cheap!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
    9  Thank Billy S
    Reviewed December 28, 2011

Overall we had a great stay here, more noise from the church than the main road during the Christmas week.
    Room was clean and comfortable and the staff were very obliging, food was big breakfast buffet,filled as required.
    A good hotel on a beautiful island.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
    7  Thank vitalspark
    Reviewed November 25, 2011

I am amazed that this hotel gets away with a 4 star rating! a very poor 2 star would be closer to the truth. No air cond, bathing in brown water, breakfast buffet that you were constantly having to ask for food, glasses, plates, water , coffee etc etc generally run by a single staff member which is clearly unacceptable. Also specifically asked for double room & got room with 2 single beds pushed together. On plus side, close to airport, Santa Cruz pleasant enough to eat out in & Reception staff try to help you. A hire car is a must if you are here for more than a couple of days, Despite the disappointing hotel the holiday was good due to the stunning island itself.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel!
    • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple