“Great B&B, wonderful host”
Review of Zur Alten Brucke

Zur Alten Brucke
Ranked #1 of 3 Schiltach B&B and Inns
Nashville, TN
“Great B&B, wonderful host”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here for one night in September of 2012 on our honeymoon. The B&B is lovely. Our room was comfy and the bathroom newer and very clean. We didnt get to try the food for dinner, as there was a large group of senior citizens having some sort of gathering the night we were there. It was off-season, so there weren't a lot of evening dinner options to choose from in Schiltach, but we found a pizza place.

Breakfast was very good, and the owner was very patient with the demanding families at breakfast. We had a chance to talk to him after breakfast and learned that his wife is from the States and they spend some time in California every year. We let him know that some of the children in the B&B the night before were prank calling rooms -- but there's nothing he could do about that, understandably.

The location is excellent and prices very reasonable. Don't hesitate to stay here if you're heading to the black forest!

Room Tip: We had a small room in the back of the house with a HUGE deck attached.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We just spent the one night at the Zur Alten Brucke in December during a tour of the Black Forest. Michael, the owner, is a lovely guy and extremely helpful. The hotel was very pleasant and the food (breakfast and dinner) was good. We were the only guests the night we stayed and Michael was closing the hotel for a couple of months the day we departed. Schiltach was very snowy and cold the day we were there, and the town was dead as a doornail as it was a Sunday. However, Schiltach seems like a lovely little Black Forest town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AussieTraveller56
Loveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 17, 2012

if you plans call for a stay in the Black Forest of Germany do yourself a favor and plan a stay at Gasthoff Bruucke. We came here after staying in Istanbul for a week and found the inn owner Michael a great guy and his waiter very attentive and helpful. My luggage had never caught up to me and Michael went out of his way to help me out. The dinners were great, even if he wouldn't share his recipe with me, and breakfast was more than enough. Rooms airy and clean with great views. It was a great place to stay and one I hope to revisit in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river side. Not sure what you see on the back side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jim W
Oklahoma City
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Let me start by saying that I booked what I thought was the Zur alten Brücke hotel in Schiltach for two nights (two rooms) in September. As it turned out, I had actually booked the other Zur alten Brücke hotel, which has the exact same name but is in Heidelberg. But I did not know this. Just before leaving for my trip to Germany, I sent the confirmation email from the other Zur alten Brücke hotel to Michael and Lisa to re-confirm my reservation. Although I did not have a reservation at their hotel, they replied "Reservation is confirmed. See you soon!", signed Michael and Lisa Mogler. So I still did not know that I actually had a reservation in Heidelberg instead of Schiltach. When we arrived at the Zur alten Brücke hotel in Schiltach, I handed Michael the confirmation email. He read the email and looked puzzled, then he checked us in. Two days later I was notified that the Zur alten Brücke hotel in Heidelberg charged me $832 for a no-show for two rooms for two nights. This is how I found out that I never actually had a reservation at Michael and Lisa's hotel. If they had replied to my re-confirmation email that I did not have a reservation at their hotel, this problem would have been avoided. If Michael had looked at the email I handed him on arrival and told me it was for the hotel in Heidelberg, this problem would have been avoided. After working with my credit card company for three months, I was finally able to get the amount reduced to $432. I asked Michael and Lisa to split the cost with me. They said " It was not our fault" and refused to pay any part of the cost.

The Zur alten Brücke hotel in Schiltach is a nice hotel in the beautiful Black Forest. Michael is a good host and serves up excellent food.

If you plan to visit the Zur alten Brücke hotel in Schiltach, be VERY careful when you book the reservation. I was not careful enough, nor were Michael and Lisa, and it ended up costing me $432.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
São Paulo - Brasil
Reviewed December 12, 2012

First of all, if you decide to stay in the Black Forest it's sometimes hard to choose the best city to stay in as a travel base in the region (too many options).
I recommend Schiltach for some reasons.
- It's the typical small German village, with cobblestone streets and those houses we picture when we think about Black Forest;
- it's centered, in the heart of the "Forest";
- home of Michael, the owner/chef of Zur Alten Brucke.

Speaking about the hotel itself, be aware that it's not a Hilton or a Sheraton, even though they can surprise you with a small chocolat in your pillow everyday. Note taken, booking done, you will get much more value than you expect.
- The place is as clean as a hotel can be;
- You feel at home;
- Michael is the kindest host you will ever meet;
- The restaurant is great and so are the prices. I don't know how, but Michael runs the hotel AND cooks everything you will eat there. We tried the first night and loved it. I had previously planned to have dinner somewhere else in my other 2 nights, but it was pointless because we had the best place just downstairs - local cuisine, well made and with great value;
- We were there in october and we had the chance to meet the waiter - Lubomir. What a great guy! Michael, keep him close!

The place doesn't have a reserved parking space, but during my 3 nights there it wasn't a serious issue.

That's it - I would definetely go back to Zur Alten Brucke

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Danielcastro
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We enjoyed our two-night stay at Alten Brucke located in the pretty village of Schiltach. The room was clean and the heating was good. Breakfast was delicous and dinner, cooked by Michael the friendly owner, was tasty. It was an easy drive from Schiltach to Triberg to visit the Cuckoo Clock Museum and the water-fall, and to Hausach to explore the outdoor museum. A few steps away from the B&B is a supermarket and a bakery. Would have loved to meet the owner's wife but she was away on home visit to the US. Michael speaks English, and his assistant is also friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is in a great location overlooking the river near the centre of town - the street is picture perfect! We had a room on the top floor overlooking the river, while the room was a bit small, the view was great, clean, comfortable and plenty of room for me and my husband. The stairs were not a problem as Michael (a very welcoming host) was happy to assist in carrying the luggage. Restaurant has the ambience and the beer was excellent! Breakfast was good and he will even cook bacon and eggs if you so desire. If we ever travel to the Black Forest again - we'll certainly stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: request top floor with a view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveladdict1454
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiltach
Hotel Waldblick
Hotel Winterhaldenhof
#2 of 2 in Schenkenzell
Wellnesshotel Basler Hof am Schlosswald
Best Western Plus Hotel Schwarzwald Residenz

Been to Zur Alten Brucke? Share your experiences!