“Beautiful!”
Review of Auberge de Tavel

Auberge de Tavel
Ranked #2 of 4 Tavel B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Our room was blue and beautiful! Bathroom was huge! AC wifi and breakfast all fab. The restaurant for dinner was the best part of our stay. Tavel is the heart of the rose' wine and a fine wee village.

• Stayed: August 2013
Auberge de T, Propriétaire at Auberge de Tavel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Madam, Sir,
We thank you very much for your opinion on tripadvisor
We will share it with all of our staff.
we are happy that you was satisfied for your stay in our house,
and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again
See you soon
regards
corinne

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We passed by Tavel on our way to Spain and enjoyed this small town and their friendly Auberge de Tavel. The owners and staff was most welcoming, the room was nice and the atmosphere relaxed in this family owned and professionally run enterprise. They also have swimming pool and a nice small terrace. The best was a magnificient dinner at the hotel (we seldom dine in our hotel). Both service and quality of he food impressed us. The restaurant in this small hotel was large and the owners wanted to offer also the locals good dining. Why not try the excellent local wines - ask advice from the staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
We thank you very much for your opinion on Trip advisor
We will share it with our staff.
We try to do our best to make a pleasant stay to our guests.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you soon
with our best regards
Corinne

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked in for 5 nights. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast good. Unfortunately, we must have had the smallest room in the hotel! not enough drawer or hanging space for a week's stay. Very modern bathroom, but difficult to wash your face in the sink, as kept hitting head on tap! Dinner was very mixed - had Foie Gras, which was lovely and creamy, but not enough toast or confit for the generous amount -(perhaps one slice would have been enough?) The only other complaint was the over-use of ginger - never had it in fruit salad or fish stew before, and please, don't want it again either - disgusting!!! Nevertheless, the Auberge was in a very pretty village, with a few bars and a couple of other restaurants. TIP: follow the French way and have your main meal lunchtime ad there is virtually nowhere to eat in the evening outside the Auberge! Villagers very friendly and helpful - the butcher closed his shop on the Sunday morning and drove my husband to the motorway service station so that he could buy cigars! Wonderful. Would stay here again, but 3 nights would have been enough. However, please do not let this review put you off - it is a lovely place to stay, and, as I said, the owners and staff are lovely and friendly.

Room Tip: Don't opt for the double. Rooms facing the road are very noisy from 5.00am onwards.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank An17_13
Reviewed July 13, 2010

The Auberge du Tavel was a relaxing location for our stay in Provence. The staff were amazingly friendly and the town was picturesque. The rooms were well appointed and some of the largest we had in our stay in France. The bathroom alone was almost as large as some of our other hotel rooms!

The pool was nice and offered a quiet place to relax after a day of sightseeing and wine tasting. The location was perfect to travel to smaller cities as well as Avignon and retire to the quiet of Tavel at night.

I would certainly recommend having dinner at the Auberge. The tasting menu was amazing. The presentation and flavors were as good or better than what we had in Paris!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alease1420
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The staff at this hotel is very warm and friendly. Very nice people. I appreciated the fact that breakfast was included (although they reheated coffee one morning instead of making it fresh-not very good).

I liked the character of the room. We stayed on the third floor, so it had a slanted roof with large wooden beams. The downside is you would bump your head if you stood up either in the "shower" or on the right side of the bed (and we are short people!).

The so-called "shower" could not really be used as a shower since there was no curtain or anything to prevent water from going all over the floor. They should not advertise themselves as having one.

The room was supposed to be air conditioned. I don't mind if it is a not very cold, but it was boiling hot outside and our room did not have a fan. I spent the last night barely able to sleep. There were flies in the room when we arrived-biting flies, I think-but it was necessary to keep the window open because the air conditioner did nothing to help. I ended up with lots of bites on my arms from something. I am not sure why we were put in that room when the hotel seemd practically empty. We were on the top floor overlooking the busy street with no ceiling fan (I noticed another room had one).

I wanted to eat at the restaurant since I had heard such good things. Unfortunately, the smell downstairs (a bit like cat pee) made me not want to eat there. Too bad it rained-I would have eaten there if we could have done so outside.

The wi-fi was awful-always cutting out. My husband needed to work a bit while we were there, but it was impossible with the connection (even when we went down to the lobby to use it).

Finally, the phones went down the morning we were to check out. We were kept waiting an hour because they could not process our credit card. Finally, we said we had to leave (we had made plans and needed to get on the road). They wrote down our credit card information (which they should have done in the first place) to process when the phones came up. Not the finest of customer service in how they handled this situation (although I do understand they probably run on a tight budget and need to make sure they get their money).

Tavel itself was a little disappointing. I had stayed in another little town where you could walk around without feeling like you were taking your life in your hands. Cars zip by, there are no sidewalks.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2008

My wife and I stayed here as part of a six day bike tour. Check-in was taken care of by the tour company, so no problems there. The restaurant was nice, meal was average. Tavel is noted for rosé wines and they did not disappoint. Our room was clean as was the bath. Beds and pillows were firm to hard. The room overlooked a street which became quite noisy after 7 AM. As we had to rise shortly thereafter, it was not a problem but it could be for those wishing to sleep in. I would recommend this hotel for those staying in Tavel for a day or 2.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank xodar
Reviewed October 5, 2008

We arrived around 7:00 pm after a long drive--staff very obviously put out by our arrival time because ALL staff have that night off. First time I've stayed in a place with no one on site from 8:00 pm onwards. Rooms (we had booked two) were subpar and carpet very dirty in rooms and hallways. TV wouldn't work but no one there to try to address it. Both rooms faced busy street and petrol station. We decided to leave after one night and desk clerk tried to extract a second night's fee from us although she could produce no documentation on that policy and I did produce my booking confirmation which made no mention of a two-night minimum fee. We stood our ground but it was unpleasant. Was it "terrible"? Maybe not, but it wasn't "okay" and there's no score in between. I would give it a 1.5 out of 5 as the breakfast and breakfast room were very nice.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank UKfan91
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavel
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
#1 of 10 in Le Pontet
Hostellerie Chateau des Fines Roches
Hostellerie Chateau des Fines Ro...
#1 of 4 in Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Hotel La Sommellerie
Hotel La Sommellerie
#2 of 4 in Chateauneuf-du-Pape
L'Enclos des Lauriers Roses

Been to Auberge de Tavel? Share your experiences!