“Fantastic in every aspect”

Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed October 20, 2010

This hotel and the staff fully lived up to all expectations, from the moment we arrived all contact with staff was genuinley warm and courteous. The bedroom was very well appointed and spottlessely clean. The breakfast was very generous, room service food first class and service in the bar was relaxing. The Boat House was a great extra place, just a two minute walk from the main hotel.
Made good use of the creche (which went down very well with my 1 year old) whilst I played golf on the Carrick. A short drive from the main hotel and well worth it; again great facilities and the course in in excellent condition.
You get what you pay for and we will definately return.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (6,172)

Reviewed October 18, 2010

I read all the reviews before I booked our trip. We'd been given a voucher to use and decided to go to Cameron House. the website alone makes the place look absolutely stunning.

The place is amazing (I imagine that it would be better to go in winter rather than summer, because the interior decor is very dark). The location is also amazing and is right on the loch. Our room was really nice (we stayed in a Classic Room). It had all the amenities you need, although there was no mini-bar. I wasn't too keen on the bed. They'd pushed two singles together to make a super-king - which isn't great and I, personally, don't like Monsoon showers (not good for a hairwash!) but i know everyone else does.

What the hotel lacks in service they make up for with friendliness. When we first arrived, the girl who checked us in was very pleasant and asked what our plans were for the evening. I said that we'd already made a reservation for dinner at the Cameron Grill for 8:30. She kindly checked for us and said that we hadn't made a reservation for that restaurant but had booked into the BoatHouse for 7:00pm, which I hadn't. I know this because I phoned the hotel twice to check before hand. No worries, we could have a table in the Cameron Grill at 9pm - which suited us fine.

We went to the spa, which was really good. I had a facial, and I have to say, it's the best one I've ever had. My husband had a massage and he said it was the best he'd had too. However, it's not the best spa I've been too but it's still good (the Locker room is quite small and I seemed to have locked locker issues). the photo's on the website make it look huge...it's not.

Before dinner, we went to the Boathouse for a beer. Its very nice and relaxed in there. Perhaps too relaxed. We sat on the bar stools and waiting about 15 mins to be acknowledged by the bar-staff. The drinks we asked for (which were on the menu) weren't available...never mind...

We moved on the Great Scott Bar and I asked the barman about one of their drinks (they serve british made champagne). I asked what it was like and the barman replied saying he didn't know and 'couldn't afford a drink like that'. I felt put in my place...

There was a very large wedding going on at the time....we narrowly avoided most of it...but I think we had a lucky escape...we walked up the steps to the reception (red-carpet) with our weekend bags at the same time as the bride and groom were entering the hotel....eeek!! we had our wedding reception in a hotel and had a different entrance to the normal hotel guests.

Dinner in the Cameron Grill was really good. The steaks are brilliant. I'd highly recommend it.

There was quite a queue for breakfast tables the following morning...i'm not sure what the problem was. We kept being apologised too. What I really didn't appreciate was the sound of a hoover being pushed round on a sunday morniing right where where we and a huge queue of people were waiting to get seated for breakfast...I mean...was it really neccessary? Couldn't they have done this before the breakfast rush or after breakfast was finished?

Breakfast was worth the wait; and was really good, there's a huge selection of really good, fresh and baked goodies. However, we didn't get our toast, my hot-chocolate turned up having had loads of spillage (it' had obviously been like that for sometime, because I tried to remove it in order to take a sip, but couldn't.). My husband got the wrong drink, no teaspoons, no salt and pepper in the grinders, no condiments etc I asked for ketchup, which came out in a very nice pot but with no spoon. The staff were so busy, I didn't want to make a fuss and ask for something to spoon it out with.

The queue for a breakfast table meant that we weren't able to check-out before 11. No need to worry though, there was a massive queue of people trying to check out. Whilst checking out we were told that we'd already been charged for our room and were presented with a bill for £280! We informed them that our travel company (with whom we booked using our voucher) had already pre-paid for our stay. On further investigation, they realised they'd made a mistake and refunded my husband's credit card (let's hope he doesn't get charged!). We gave a very large tip to the waiter at dinner athe night before and I saw an additional service charge of £10,on our final check-out bill, which i asked them to take off (seeing as though they'd already taken gratuity). They took the charge off without any fuss.

We went to the business centre so we could print off our flight boarding tickets, only to be told that the server was down...another let down (I know it's not their fault, and our fault for not being prepared, but we were then charged £80 at the airport for not having our boarding passes).

All in all, for the price per night...i would have have expected much better service. I would expect a 5 star hotel to provide a 5* service, this means getting the basics right. If the Premier Inn can get it right I don't see why Cameron House can't! The less than brilliant service didn't ruin our weekend - but it did make me think of all the areas they could improve on to justify the cost..

Reviewed October 17, 2010

Hotel was wonderful but the 10% extra on everything took the shine off a lovely 4 days. Service in the Boat house was pretty poor and definately not 5*.

Reviewed October 15, 2010

Our second visit as we had enjoyed our visit there so much last year. Our meal in the Cameron Grill was lovely and although the service was a bit rushed to start it was more relaxed by the end of the meal. There were problems with the wine list and the availability of certain wines. Wish they would redo the decor in this restaurant the industrial type roof clashes with the mural and framed kilts and give it a bit of a canteen atmosphere. Breakfast was very good.
Service in the Great Scots bar was very slow and the manager who eventually took our order handed it on to someone else. We ended up with a different beer than the one we ordered and waiting 15 minutes for a drink in what was a quiet bar. All other staff were great.
However, there seem to be quite a lot of maintenance issues this time. The lift was out of order. In our room at least 2 light bulbs had gone, the hand shower was badly leaking and the table had a dodgy leg.
We had a good time but Cameron house is expensive and they really need to make sure that maintenance is being checked on regularly.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Spent a short break in Cameron House with my husband and 13 month old baby. We were a bit concerned about how we would cope with our son but we need not have worried. The staff were fantastic and really made our stay both comfortable and relaxing. We dined at several of the restaurants in the hotel and all happily accommodated our little one.

We booked our son in to the creche one afternoon and spent a fantastic few hours at the Spa enjoying some pampering. I have enjoyed staying in many 5 star resorts but I believe that the Spa facility is definitely one of Cameron House's crowing jewels, in addition to the breathtaking views of the loch and the mountains.

All in all, we had a wonderful holiday. The facilities were excellent, staff were very friendly and the food was sublime. We have already booked for our Christmas vacation :-)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Ruth1297
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Recently stayed at Cameron House and were somewhat worried by negative comments.

First of all the location is excellent and we were allocated a Junior Suite on the 2nd Floor overlooking the Loch. The greeting and overall service provided by Rachel the Receptionist was excellent. The room was everything we could have wished for.

We had previously booked dinner in the Cameron Grill as it was my husband's birthday, we were greeted there with a Happy Birthday and shown to our table. Initially our waiter was very pleasant and keen to provide a good service. However, the wine list is currently being updated and after letting us choose a wine, going to have a chat with the Manager, came back with a list on a piece of paper of wines that they actually had. It is not such a big deal but why not be upfront about it and I think customers would be a lot happier. The food was excellent although service did tail off a little as the restaurant got busier.

We ordered breakfast in our room for the following morning and this did arrive late with no apology, however was well presented and did consist of exactly what we had ordered.

Overall we had a a great stay and although the niggles are minor, when you are paying for a 5 star service that is what you expect

Reviewed October 10, 2010

For a treat every now and again you'd be hard pressed to beat this place. Large hotels can be a bit over powering and impersonal but ALL the staff we came in contact with in this hotel greeted you with a smile and were very friendly. Set in a stunning location, the Whisky Bar and Cameron Grill were equally top notch and the meal we had in the Cameron Grill was the best we'd had for some time - with an excellent a la carte menu for my vegetarian wife. Although having to check out by 11am we were free to use all the facilities until 6pm and we took full advantage of the leisure pool etc. My only comment on the room would be that the decor made it very dark ( a friend who stayed the previous week thought the same) and the close proximity of the next room's TV to our bed meant that I was was woken at 4am when the drunk next door couldn't control his TV volume - he ho!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel
Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf
Premier Inn Dumbarton/Loch Lomond Hotel

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!