“An expensive disappointment”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alexandria
Scotland
“An expensive disappointment”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Having stayed at Cameron house before we thought we'd return just for lunch as we were passing near by. Working in a luxury hotel unfortunately doesn't always help us in our ideas of standards as they are higher than average but still....the lunch proved to much lower than average and should have stopped at the McDonalds close by!!!

We opted for lunch in The Great Scots Bar which should be good all being its in a 5 star hotel. We were greeted by a larger man (no problems there) but when asked what we wanted to drink I asked for a glass of champagne....no offer which champagnes they did...I asked if they did rose champagne and the reply was 'ehhhhhhh well ehhhh' then he left and shouted over to his colleague if they had some...they did!!!!! The champagne was fine and I was informed that a new bottle had just been opened to serve me a glass so 'there was plenty left'! He left the bill on the table and walked away even though he knew we were having lunch.

Anyway we looked at the extremlely scruffy menu which really needs replacing and chose a sharing platter as starter and two burgers for mains. This needed major clarification as he couldnt understand that the 'sharing platter for 2' only required us to order one. Anyway off he went and on his return clarified if we want the platter as a starter and burgers as mains and asked how he the burgers should be cooked. We asked for both well done as I don't like medrare burgers!

Sharing platter was tasty and presented quite well. As driving we ordered a large sparkling water with 2 glasses, Glasses left on the table and bottle as well, no offer to pour and my glass had a free addition of a lot of pink lipstick and my partners smelled very strongly of gin and tonic! Returned glass but still not offer to pour water. We were checked back on but hadnt actually eaten anything yet! A manager appeared out of nowhere as we were nearing the end of lunch with his suit jacket unbuttoned. All in all the experience was pretty awful with members of staff having more of a laugh behind the bar and a one point one of them sat down on the guests side of the bar area whilst chatting!

We went up to bar to pay and the manager asked if we enjoyed everything, we said it was ok but to let the chef know that we would prefer thje burgers more cooked like we had asked them be. He apologised and continued to chat to us in a friendly way enquiring what we were doing for the rest of the day, etc. Whilst paying the bill one of the 3 staff on duty was asking him 'what was up' with us and was there something wrong. We paid the bill and left. Overall it was pretty terrible and probably won't be back! Its a let down as hotel is in a beautiful location and could be fantastic. Having read all the other reviews breakfast seems to be an ongoing joke and also the check in! I don't believe there is a problem employing young people but they must have the passion and the drive to want to work in what is a very difficult and challenging industry, they obviously don't look for when they interview staff.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (853)
  • Turkish first
SCOTLAND
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Spent a lovely relaxing weekend at Cameron House Hotel. This was our second visit and after reading some of the previous reviews was a bit apprehensive. However we found all the staff extremely welcoming and very helpful. Can't understand all the negative reviews regarding this. "Treat people as you expect to be treated" is a phrase that comes to mind! Had a meal in the Cameron Grill which was lovely. Also enjoyed the spa at the Carrick especially the outdoor infinity pool. All in all, a great weekend, in a stunning hotel and would thoroughly recommend.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2010

My wife and I have just returned from a beautiful weekend at Cameron House and although i am not usually the type of person who would write a review, either negative or positive, i feel compelled to commend the staff at the hotel for their abounding professionalism and superb manners. The hotel itself was immaculately clean and well kept and i state this as a person who has stayed in some of Europes best. The dining in both the Boathouse and the Grill was excellent and the service was second to none. Upon arrival we were greeted by the same french gentleman as the previous writer and i found him to be courteous and well mannered, certainly a man i would have consulted if there had been any problems. All in all i can only say that it was a truly memorable weekend in celebration of our wedding anniversary made complete by the superb quality and service in a superb hotel !!

Cumbria
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Stayed 2 nights and had a lovely time, enjoyed the leisure club, room was comfortable and clean, and had some brilliant walking in the area.

Downsides - service - most of the staff were lovely, but with no idea of service, or no common sense. Most of the staff seem very young, and seem to need more direction from managers. Had a very late dinner at the Boathouse on Friday night, and sat for 20 minutes before anyone came anywhere near us to take our orders, even though there were little conclaves of staff chatting with each other.

Breakfast service slightly chaotic - breakfast itself was delicious, but like many others judging from reviews, we had to wait ages for a pot of coffee, there were no juice glasses and no salt/pepper on table and my husband had no side plate.

Dinner 2nd night in Cameron Grill - very good, and service was better.

Prices are a bit over the top, £25 for a fairly ordinary bottle of wine etc.

With the location sorted, this hotel could be absolutely superb, but they need to get the customer service right. It doesn't take much to train a young staff to be helpful, enthusiastic, and to take the initiative when there is a problem.

Oh, and one last downside - half the guests seemed to have brought their dogs with them and most would set off barking as soon as someone passed their room door - I had a rather large alsatian charge at me from out of one room, which was a bit disconcerting. perhaps all the dogowners could be put in one wing of the hotel!

having said all that, we had a lovely weekend, helped by absolutely glorious weather in a truly lovely setting.

Birmingham
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Loch Lomond...... One of the most picturesque and beautiful places a person can be lucky enough to stumble upon in their life.
Cameron House..... One of the least endearing experiences a person will have to endure in their life.

Reception.... Crowded to say the least. I queued for an hour before check-in and was 'welcomed' by French gentleman who seemed to be in rather a hurry to send me packing off to my room.

My Room..... For those of you who have not heard of the Bellgrove Hotel. It is a homeless shelter. But is far better value for money than this room. The room on the surface seemed okay. When you scratch the surface it is dirty, the lights and toilet did not work and as it was a nice night I probably would have had a better 'kip' in the car park.

Location.... The scenery is breathtaking. I needed a paper bag by the side of the loch as I hyperventilated at the astounding pulchritude. To quote one of the groundstaff: ''Ave seen many a loch in ma time but this ones a thumper, int it mate?''

The Sea-Plane.... The proverbial feather in Cameron House's cap is the Sea-Plane. Flights are booked through reception. Again the scenery up there was great, however, the pilot seemed more interested in stroking my inner-thigh than the task at hand.

Things-to-do.... Upon landing my partner and i engaged in a game of giant chess, i lost. My partner outfoxed me at every turn but it was worthwhile enjoying a game in the sunshine upon the bonny-banks.

Dinner Time.... At last something Cameron House can be proud of! The dinner we shared in the Cameron Grill was beautiful! We were served by a young man who was both helpful and efficient. The food was simply fantastic and in particular our steak was sublime.

Overall I would say this hotel had the potential to be a good 4 star but in no way merits the 5 stars it has managed to commandeer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ofazal1983
Glasgow
Reviewed September 24, 2010

stayed here a few weeks ago for my husbands birthday. staff were v. welcoming when we arrived and throughout stay, room was super comfortable and food in the Grill was really good. would definitely recommend!

Durham UK
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Cameron House is clearly marked from the main road running along Loch Lomand and is easy reach of many trails and other Scottish Highlights, near enough to Glasgow to keep shopaholics happy. It has everything you would need. Leisure, Golf, Swimming, sailing near by, wonderful walking, superb food. Rooms were lovely. The Hotel is a little dark, although this probably is in keeping with style of the Scottish Castle. Evening meals in the restaurant were fantastic worth the expensive price tag. I would say the best meals I have ever eaten. However, as there is always, the TV in our room was terrible picture, Pay TV would not work, really annoying as the Popes visit and some good sport was on and picture was terrible quality. A real shame a spectacular hotel letting itself down with a now basic requirement. I told the staff about this on exit and they didnt seem bothered. A Hotel of this standard should ensure all is well before guest enter the rooms. A real disappointment to me is after informing them no one has taken the trouble to contact me about my complaint. I don't think I can keep my family away but I'll check the TV fully next time we stay and get them to fix it. Parking was a bit away from the room but the satff will collect your bags and park the car. Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!