Having stayed at Cameron house before we thought we'd return just for lunch as we were passing near by. Working in a luxury hotel unfortunately doesn't always help us in our ideas of standards as they are higher than average but still....the lunch proved to much lower than average and should have stopped at the McDonalds close by!!!
We opted for lunch in The Great Scots Bar which should be good all being its in a 5 star hotel. We were greeted by a larger man (no problems there) but when asked what we wanted to drink I asked for a glass of champagne....no offer which champagnes they did...I asked if they did rose champagne and the reply was 'ehhhhhhh well ehhhh' then he left and shouted over to his colleague if they had some...they did!!!!! The champagne was fine and I was informed that a new bottle had just been opened to serve me a glass so 'there was plenty left'! He left the bill on the table and walked away even though he knew we were having lunch.
Anyway we looked at the extremlely scruffy menu which really needs replacing and chose a sharing platter as starter and two burgers for mains. This needed major clarification as he couldnt understand that the 'sharing platter for 2' only required us to order one. Anyway off he went and on his return clarified if we want the platter as a starter and burgers as mains and asked how he the burgers should be cooked. We asked for both well done as I don't like medrare burgers!
Sharing platter was tasty and presented quite well. As driving we ordered a large sparkling water with 2 glasses, Glasses left on the table and bottle as well, no offer to pour and my glass had a free addition of a lot of pink lipstick and my partners smelled very strongly of gin and tonic! Returned glass but still not offer to pour water. We were checked back on but hadnt actually eaten anything yet! A manager appeared out of nowhere as we were nearing the end of lunch with his suit jacket unbuttoned. All in all the experience was pretty awful with members of staff having more of a laugh behind the bar and a one point one of them sat down on the guests side of the bar area whilst chatting!
We went up to bar to pay and the manager asked if we enjoyed everything, we said it was ok but to let the chef know that we would prefer thje burgers more cooked like we had asked them be. He apologised and continued to chat to us in a friendly way enquiring what we were doing for the rest of the day, etc. Whilst paying the bill one of the 3 staff on duty was asking him 'what was up' with us and was there something wrong. We paid the bill and left. Overall it was pretty terrible and probably won't be back! Its a let down as hotel is in a beautiful location and could be fantastic. Having read all the other reviews breakfast seems to be an ongoing joke and also the check in! I don't believe there is a problem employing young people but they must have the passion and the drive to want to work in what is a very difficult and challenging industry, they obviously don't look for when they interview staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A magnificent baronial mansion surrounded by 100 acres of woodland, Cameron House on Loch Lomond, blends traditional Scottish influences with sumptuous contemporary decor to offer guests a memorable stay in the finest surroundings. This is your loch side Baronial mansion and so much more, with a Championship golf course, a luxury resort spa with rooftop infinity pool, a range of luxury traditional and contemporary suites with views overlooking Loch Lomond and some of the most supreme dining imaginable, all bundled up and served with the heartiest of Scottish hospitality. Cameron House on Loch Lomond is every part the five star Scottish experiences and located just 25 minutes from Glasgow International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cameron House on Loch Lomond reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Cameron House Hotel West Dunbartonshire
- De Vere Cameron Hotel
- Cameron House Hotel
- De Vere Cameron Arden
- Cameron Hotel House
- Cameron House On Loch Lomond Scotland/Alexandria, United Kingdom