We booked one night at Cameron House following on from a stay in Prestonfield in Edinburgh, as we had business in Glasgow the next day. We had stayed there in the past, prior to the much-vaunted refurbishement, and I was looking forward to seeing what they'd improved upon. Answer is not much! We arrived around 4pm to find Cameron House hosting a wedding and not coping very well. The self-park car park was closed and valet park was the only option offered. The overworked, understaffed, valets could not cope with the simultaneous demands of the residents and the wedding guests. The first question asked by the reception staff was 'have you booked your dinner? We are very busy tonight.' Welcome! The standard double room with loch view in the newly added wing was stylish, but small and very dark . One of the windows was permanetly sealed and blacked out - it was overlooked by an adjoining room. Hope they didn't pay the architect for that one. The bathroom on the other hand was spacious and well provisioned.
We walked to the boat house for a cool drink. The boat house had been nicely extended since our previous stay, and had lots more water-inspired furnishings. Sadly it was staffed by youngsters who had no understanding of service and even less of mixing cocktails. At least two tables sent theirs back - I was asked what made up a white wine & soda (?) - and clearing up was non-existent.
That said, we also ate dinner in the restaurant there and the contrast was amazing. The food service staff were prompt, attentive and very friendly. Probably the high point of the stay. The newly refurbished Great Scots bar was fine with lots of interesting photos of famous Scots, sparking conversation as to who we would have added or left out.
Back in our room, the bed was seriously disappointing , with one of the thinnest, hardest, nastiest mattresses I have slept on since I left my student days, Have they not heard of pillow tops? memory foam, luxury of any kind? Additionally the now very merry wedding guests serenaded us from time to time as they made their way to their rooms. Don't you just hate when your sleep is interrupted by people enjoying themselves?
To add further insult, we received a letter under the door, helpfully suggesting that we might like to eat breakfast down at the Boat House, rather than in the hotel itself as , surprise surprise, they expected to be very busy in the dining room. That was pretty much the last straw. Despite having paid for B&B, we skipped the latter and headed to the city for some real hospitality
All in all this was one disappointing stay and other than location, it's hard to understand why this hotel is ranked alongside some of the other top hotels in Scotland - Prestonfield, Inver House, Loch Torridon. In fact on the same trip we also stayed at teh Crowne Plaza at the SECC and I'd rank that way above C.House for quality of service.
I did talk to the duty manager on check out and she did offer to compensate us by giving us a voucher for free accommodation on our next trip. Is she kidding? Life is too short to spend another night in that particular horror chamber.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A magnificent baronial mansion surrounded by 100 acres of woodland, Cameron House on Loch Lomond, blends traditional Scottish influences with sumptuous contemporary decor to offer guests a memorable stay in the finest surroundings. This is your loch side Baronial mansion and so much more, with a Championship golf course, a luxury resort spa with rooftop infinity pool, a range of luxury traditional and contemporary suites with views overlooking Loch Lomond and some of the most supreme dining imaginable, all bundled up and served with the heartiest of Scottish hospitality. Cameron House on Loch Lomond is every part the five star Scottish experiences and located just 25 minutes from Glasgow International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cameron House on Loch Lomond reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Cameron House Hotel West Dunbartonshire
- De Vere Cameron Hotel
- Cameron House Hotel
- De Vere Cameron Arden
- Cameron Hotel House
- Cameron House On Loch Lomond Scotland/Alexandria, United Kingdom